Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any list of functions needing reset after battery disconnect?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Any list of functions needing reset after battery disconnect?

I had the need to disconnect my battery (black wire, negative terminal) for about 15 minutes for an upgrade I was performing.

After reconnecting the negative, I had the usual battery disconnect changes: reset HUD to desired settings, hit TRIP until odometer setting clears the DIC, and reset the clock. My radio settings were preserved.

I did notice, however, that my TPMS settings were blank; it just said FRONT L (blank) R (blank.) I haven't driven the car yet after the upgrade, so I'm hoping those come back when I do.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to ask if there is a list of all the things needing checking or resetting after the battery has been disconnected or replaced. This could be very helpful for those having performed such procedures.

Thanks ...
Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by s'noJob
I had the need to disconnect my battery (black wire, negative terminal) for about 15 minutes for an upgrade I was performing.

After reconnecting the negative, I had the usual battery disconnect changes: reset HUD to desired settings, hit TRIP until odometer setting clears the DIC, and reset the clock. My radio settings were preserved.

I did notice, however, that my TPMS settings were blank; it just said FRONT L (blank) R (blank.) I haven't driven the car yet after the upgrade, so I'm hoping those come back when I do.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to ask if there is a list of all the things needing checking or resetting after the battery has been disconnected or replaced. This could be very helpful for those having performed such procedures.

Thanks ...
I disconnected mine for a week when I upgraded all my exterior lights to HID/LEDs a couple of years ago. I also installed a new battery at that time as well. After reconnecting the new battery, the only thing I had to reset was the OEM stereo head unit which was locked. I entered the unlock code and then reset the preset radio stations. I ran through my DIC menu and made sure all my settings were the same. I think I had to reset a couple of them and I wanted to program the key fob so that the alarm/disarm did not flash my new HID lights.

Regarding the tire sensors, you just need to drive the car to wake them up. Same thing with installing new sensors. I mounted a set of new CCW wheels/tires/sensors a couple months ago and the sensors would not program with the magnet. I then took a short (spirited) test drive and woke up the sensors. After the test drive, I was able to program the new sensors on my first attempt.

Last edited by MSG C5; 12-15-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

When I replaced my battery with a new one, all I had to reset was the stereo settings and clock. Nothing else lost their settings.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:30 PM
RMB97LS1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do those 9 volt battery in the cig lighter devices work to keep settings active during a disconnect??
Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I just lose my clock settings.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:33 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s'noJob
I had the usual battery disconnect changes: reset HUD to desired settings, hit TRIP until odometer setting clears the DIC, and reset the clock. My radio settings were preserved.
Originally Posted by MSG C5
… I had to reset … the OEM stereo head unit which was locked. I entered the unlock code and then reset the preset radio stations.
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
… I had to reset … the stereo settings and clock. Nothing else lost their settings.
Originally Posted by Choreo
I just lose my clock settings.

So let’s check the scorecard here:

1. Reset HUD, clear odometer, reset clock. No radio problems.
2. Unlock radio and reset the radio stations.
3. Reset radio stations and clock.
4. Reset clock.

Does the C5 decide what to bring down? Isn’t disconnecting battery cables just removing power??
Old 12-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Same as the above, but I also had to bring back my memory settings for the seat positions and the side mirrors.

Get notified of new replies

To Any list of functions needing reset after battery disconnect?

Quick Reply: Any list of functions needing reset after battery disconnect?