Sponsored by:

Side View Mirror Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 AM
NOLAVette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Side View Mirror Issues

The electrochromic auto dimming feature on the driver's side view mirror on the 2001 vert I bought a couple of weeks ago has crapped out. (permanent gold tinting and double image). I bought a $55 Panavex wide angle stick on mirror instead of the $200 GM mirror since I figured I could live without the dimming function and I'd gain a wide angle view without blind spots. The Panavex mirror is not working out due to distortion that makes it unusable. I'm considering buying a GM replacement mirror (glass only) for about $75 that does not have the Electrochromic function. Has anyone done this and if so does it cause any computer code problems since the original mirror had the function?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:04 AM
03WhiteConv
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you looked over in the parts section? maybe someone is parting out a vette and you could get a used one. That would have to be cheaper and then you wouldn't have to worry.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 447 Likes on 329 Posts

I would double check the connections if you haven't already. Maybe you have a loose connection, a frayed wire, or blown fuse somewhere. Look for easy things first.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
I would double check the connections if you haven't already. Maybe you have a loose connection, a frayed wire, or blown fuse somewhere. Look for easy things first.
A loose wire or blown fuse isn't going to cause those symptoms. The yellowing is due to the two layers of the mirror beginning to separate.

Originally Posted by 03WhiteConv
Have you looked over in the parts section? maybe someone is parting out a vette and you could get a used one. That would have to be cheaper and then you wouldn't have to worry.
When I needed a new mirror (non-electrochromic) I waited for over a month for one to pop up in the parts for sale section, and when one finally did there were already like 3 other people in line ahead of me asking for it.

Originally Posted by NOLAVette
I'm considering buying a GM replacement mirror (glass only) for about $75 that does not have the Electrochromic function. Has anyone done this and if so does it cause any computer code problems since the original mirror had the function?
You will be fine replacing it with a non-electrochromic mirror. As an alternative you can buy just the mirror glass portion, pry out the old mirror from the plastic mounting plate, and attach the new mirror to the plate, all for $50-60 cheaper than a mirror from GM...this is the route I went and you can't even tell the difference.
http://www.wheelskin.com/burcomirror...irror=BUR-2835
Old 12-18-2012, 12:50 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Boy you are into this mirror for $55- plus another $75- for replacement plain mirror only $70- away from the correct part...personally I would have purchased the correct mirror off the hop and be done with it. it is not such a crazy expensive part!? I can see another post coming regarding this mirror issue. (in this case its better to bite the bullet)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM
NOLAVette
Racer

Thanks for all the tips.
I decided to go with the basic mirror (non-heated and non electrochromic) from Fichtner's Chevy for $78. I'll pop the old one out and pop the new one in and forget about it. Don't need the heated model down here in New Orleans and I'll survive without the dimming feature.
Maybe I can separate the Panavex mirror from the defective electrochromic mirror and sell the Panavex to recoup a few bucks. Worth a shot I guess.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by El original
Boy you are into this mirror for $55- plus another $75- for replacement plain mirror only $70- away from the correct part...personally I would have purchased the correct mirror off the hop and be done with it. it is not such a crazy expensive part!? I can see another post coming regarding this mirror issue. (in this case its better to bite the bullet)
i went through the same problem (bad electro-chromatic glass) about 2 years ago and checked with gmpartshouse (gene cully is great for helping with parts). if remember correctly the part (replacement correct electro-chromatic glass) was less than $200, but the correct replacement was well worth doing it right. there have been loads of pasts regarding exactly what you questioned, and yes you can just change out the mirror glass with a non electro-chromatic piece and all will be fine. it won't screw up anything other than your originality.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:43 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Sorry to hear the panavex wasn't working for you, I'm absolutely loving mine. The wider field of view is initially a little jarring, but it's come to make driving a lot safer and convenient for me.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:25 PM
NOLAVette
Racer

I'm getting a double image. If I close one eye it looks normal but when I open the other eye it looks like I've had way too much too drink. It's just not working at all. Don't know if I can get a refund or not. The Panavex is stuck to the original mirror pretty good. I guess I could send the Panavex back to them still stuck to the original mirror since I'm replacing it with a factory mirror.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:36 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 181 Posts

I love my Panavex - great coverage of the blind spot. I had no adjustment issues and no distortion or double image. Try following up with Panavex - yours may be defective.

Good luck.

K9Leader
Red cars are faster. They did a study on it.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here was my solution. Twenty bucks including shipping. Has been on the car for about 3 months now and his holding up just fine.

http://www.wheelskin.com/burcomirror...ETTE&year=1998

Get notified of new replies

To Side View Mirror Issues

Quick Reply: Side View Mirror Issues