Sponsored by:

seat foam advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:15 AM
soupy102
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default seat foam advice

I had sport seats recovered 8 mos. ago and made the stupid mistake of not having the foam replaced. Of course the passenger side is fine but the driver side bolster has pushed thru and making a mark on the new cover.
I am going to put new foam on now but I was wondering if any one company out there has a better foam product than the others or are they all the same and i just need to shop the best price?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:25 AM
fishbust
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did my seats over, got the foam here and it turned out well...

http://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/di...arnmoreid=1725
Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

When I bought my VE seat covers, I just got the foam they sell - has held up very well.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:08 AM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 181 Posts

DJ Motorsports sells a high-density foam that is firmer than the OEM and most of the replacements. I did the fix (Cordura fabric and jute padding) along with the high-density foam on mine last year. I also padded the sharp edges of the metal frame (the bolsters) by slitting clear plastic tubing and putting it over the sharp edges, holding it down with Gorilla tape.

The support wires had cut into the original foam and with the new, stiffer foam and it now sitting on top of the wires rather than 3/4 inch into them, I had to get used to an entirely new seating position, more than an inch higher than before. I was surprised at how much of a difference the new foam & fix kit made. I'm used to it now but it did take some getting used to. I did not put new foam on the passenger seat as it was still in good shape, although I did do the Cordura/jute fix on it. The high-density foam already had a jute pad affixed to it so on the driver's side I did not use the pad that came with the fix kit.

Some people do not like the high-density foam - too firm/less give - and end up going back to OEM style foam. I think most of it is getting used to the raised seating position. I suspect the high-density foam will hold up better over time. I plan/hope to put new leather on the seats within the next few months and will replace all the foam on both seats, with the exception of the driver's seat bottom, since that has already been replaced. Probably will do the high-density on the passenger seat. Standard foam is all that's available or needed for the seat backs.

Good luck!

K9Leader
Red cars are faster. They did a study on it.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:10 AM
nmacdonald
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the Vendors on here has a seat "rebuild" kit that may be of help. Of course, I'm old and can't remember their name.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by K9Leader
DJ Motorsports sells a high-density foam that is firmer than the OEM and most of the replacements. I did the fix (Cordura fabric and jute padding) along with the high-density foam on mine last year. I also padded the sharp edges of the metal frame (the bolsters) by slitting clear plastic tubing and putting it over the sharp edges, holding it down with Gorilla tape.

The support wires had cut into the original foam and with the new, stiffer foam and it now sitting on top of the wires rather than 3/4 inch into them, I had to get used to an entirely new seating position, more than an inch higher than before. I was surprised at how much of a difference the new foam & fix kit made. I'm used to it now but it did take some getting used to. I did not put new foam on the passenger seat as it was still in good shape, although I did do the Cordura/jute fix on it. The high-density foam already had a jute pad affixed to it so on the driver's side I did not use the pad that came with the fix kit.

Some people do not like the high-density foam - too firm/less give - and end up going back to OEM style foam. I think most of it is getting used to the raised seating position. I suspect the high-density foam will hold up better over time. I plan/hope to put new leather on the seats within the next few months and will replace all the foam on both seats, with the exception of the driver's seat bottom, since that has already been replaced. Probably will do the high-density on the passenger seat. Standard foam is all that's available or needed for the seat backs.

Good luck!

K9Leader
Red cars are faster. They did a study on it.
I agree about the DJ Motorsports foam. It's good stuff however if you choose that foam, some seat cover providers like VE do not guarantee their product unless installed over OEM foam. The reason is that their measurements are so precise that additional foam density or size may prevent the cover from fitting correctly.

If you choose a new set of OEM foam, make sure to cover the plastic frame side bolsters with rubber tubing or some rounded off duct tape. Vette Essentials provides felt "ears" that you slip over the side bolsters that helps prevent them from cutting into the new foam.

Last edited by MSG C5; 12-23-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

About a year ago I installed foam from DJMotorsports and it is some tuff stuff, It holds my fat a$$ just fine with no issues.

Get notified of new replies

To seat foam advice

Quick Reply: seat foam advice