Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by littlefranks
jack car up take off 4 swaybar bolts ,let it hang.remove cradle bolts ,let cradle hang.easy access to sender .
Wow, That sure seems like a lot of work to change a sensor.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:04 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Someone mention that the method to attempt to remove the oil presure sensor from in between the intakemanifold and firewall is possible, but may face extreme challenges when fitted with a 90/92 MM Intake manifold. Can anyone clarify?

I have a FAST 92mm Intake. Is this deeper into the rear (twowards the firewall) than a stock intake manifold?
Old 05-11-2014, 03:34 AM
booby808
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a video on how to remove the intake manifold? Can't find one on youtube.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:31 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by johnson-rod
I can verify it looked like it worked for the guy in the video.

I can certify that it didn't work for me at all.

I spent over an hour getting the wires to release using the coat hanger method. My OPS didn't fit any of my hundreds of sockets so I bought the special OPS socket from Auto Zone and that didn't fit either. In trying, I broke off the top off the OPS. I also broke the very fragile PVC hoses running behind the manifolds. It was snowing and I slipped and fell face first onto the intake manifold. I looked like a Klingon for a week.

I can testify that it takes no longer than 30 minutes (20 minutes if you are really cold, pissed off and your nose is bleeding) to remove the intake manifold. Unscrewing the OPS and throwing it across the snow covered yard takes a moment. Installing the new OPS, connecting it, replacing the PVC pipes with plastic hose from Lowe's, cleaning up the valley and the throttle body and reinstalling takes up the rest of the short wintery afternoon.

Piece of cake.

Now that your done I guess its safe to laugh.......your testimony is sooo funny......sorry about the Klingon face.... I might actually try this method just because it sounds like so much fun..........
Old 12-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Shane Haywood
Intermediate

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
The part is relatively cheap but the labor is due to having to pull the intake to get to it, unless to butcher the car by cutting a hole to access it. But $500 is pretty high even for the stealership. I would find an independant mechanic with corvette experiance.
Another piece of advice: Get the relocation kit so if it fails again, its easier to get to. Wish I had. Had a Delco part fail after 2 months.
Just did mine at a dealership, $345 including new gaskets, plus 12month 12k warrany...
Old 12-20-2014, 02:00 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I spent over an hour getting the wires to release using the coat hanger method. My OPS didn't fit any of my hundreds of sockets so I bought the special OPS socket from Auto Zone and that didn't fit either. In trying, I broke off the top off the OPS. I also broke the very fragile PVC hoses running behind the manifolds. It was snowing and I slipped and fell face first onto the intake manifold. I looked like a Klingon for a week.

I can testify that it takes no longer than 30 minutes (20 minutes if you are really cold, pissed off and your nose is bleeding) to remove the intake manifold. Unscrewing the OPS and throwing it across the snow covered yard takes a moment. Installing the new OPS, connecting it, replacing the PVC pipes with plastic hose from Lowe's, cleaning up the valley and the throttle body and reinstalling takes up the rest of the short wintery afternoon.

Piece of cake.
Very funny!
Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Piece of cake.
Next time you have to work outside in the winter, take a ride up to Sussex county and you can work in my garage for a day, heated, well lit and dry with TV, as long as I can put my car away in the evening. Just PM me. Even a sink to wash up. Two hours from here to Philly.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:26 AM
dharmadan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
You don't lift the car to get to the oil sending unit because it's on top of the engine behind the intake manifold. You can look from the driver's side and see the unit behind the intake. It's a 10-minute job to fix if you do it without removing the manifold.

Here's a YouTube video of how to replace the unit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5PvlDLcyXX8
Thank you so much, Ed!
Old 12-20-2014, 10:56 AM
sea20west
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Please don't cut!!!! It's your baby... I relocated my oil sender a week ago on my 2001 vert after my second sender failure in 3 years.. Everything you need to do is in this thread.
[url]www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3452772-who-makes-an-oil-pressure-sensor-relocation-kit-these-days. You can purchase all you need from www.summitracing.com and assemble yourself (very,very easy). Cost about $53.00 for the parts not including the sending unit. You can find the kits on line already assembled for a little over $100.00. Your choice. Summit also sell the senders. You can call them and they will help you with the purchase. My mechanically inclined grandson helped with the installation of the sender which required removal of the intake manifold. Took about 2 1/2 hours start to finish. Some suggest just removing the manifold bolts and sliding the manifold forward. since you can't see the underside of the manifold, you don't know what's happening to the gaskets during the slide. Take if off and replace the old gaskets with new. Gasket kit is about $22.00. After relocating the oil sender next to the fuel rail, any future oil sender failures (if any) takes maybe 5 minutes to replace... Just my $.02 worth...

Last edited by sea20west; 12-20-2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: correction
Old 12-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by sea20west
Please don't cut!!!! It's your baby... I relocated my oil sender a week ago on my 2001 vert after my second sender failure in 3 years.. Everything you need to do is in this thread.
www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3452772-who-makes-an-oil-pressure-sensor. You can purchase all you need from www.summitracing.com and assemble yourself (very,very easy). Cost about $53.00 for the parts not including the sending unit. You can find the kits on line already assembled for a little over $100.00. Your choice. Summit also sell the senders. You can call them and they will help you with the purchase. My mechanically inclined grandson helped with the installation of the sender which required removal of the intake manifold. Took about 2 1/2 hours start to finish. Some suggest just removing the manifold bolts and sliding the manifold forward. since you can't see the underside of the manifold, you don't know what's happening to the gaskets during the slide. Take if off and replace the old gaskets with new. Gasket kit is about $22.00. After relocating the oil sender next to the fuel rail, any future oil sender failures (if any) takes maybe 5 minutes to replace... Just my $.02 worth...

I agree, I did this a few years back with parts from Summit, Nice having a where house here in town.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:14 PM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I did mine in 15 minutes just like on the you tube video
Old 12-21-2014, 12:05 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Sweet! 15 minutes! - can quickly tell us how??
Old 12-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Catman58
Racer

Originally Posted by guido7834
Well, my brass one from Auto Zone is going on 3 years. ( Hope I didn't just jinx myself)...
Mr Murphy should be visiting you soon
Old 12-21-2014, 03:23 PM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC5
Sweet! 15 minutes! - can quickly tell us how??
Yes I bought a socket from advance auto parts. Follow the you tube video also use three eights drive you will have more room
I used hemastats to remove the connector
Old 12-21-2014, 07:40 PM
vettefan84
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
You don't lift the car to get to the oil sending unit because it's on top of the engine behind the intake manifold. You can look from the driver's side and see the unit behind the intake. It's a 10-minute job to fix if you do it without removing the manifold.

Here's a YouTube video of how to replace the unit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5PvlDLcyXX8

Get the brass sending unit from O'Reilly Auto Parts, it costs about $40. And fire your mechanic; he's trying to rip you off. Telling you replacing the unit requires lifting the car is either a bold-faced lie or an indication that the mechanic has no clue what he's doing.
I totally agree 100% what a lie lift the car to replace oil sender ...oil pressure sender is right behind intake manifold i replaced mine and my friends c5 also i have made it several times with the right tools is no so complicated.....never go to dealer thats the last option...there are videos in youtube of how to replace oil pressure sender in c5 corvette...
Old 12-21-2014, 09:50 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Anyone in Michigan here who can help/do the speedy socket change?

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure sender