Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
91LSMAN
CF Senior Member

Default First Impressions After Lowering, Pfadt Shocks and Sway Bars....

Ok, before anyone says it. Yes, I said many times that I would not lower my vette......shut up.

On Thursday I had the Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 shocks and sways installed and had my vette lowered on the "stock bolts" at the same time.

I have driven the car about 30 miles since the work was done. (At 100-200 miles I plan to get an alignment). The ride is more firm and a little more bouncy, but nothing uncomfortable. Being that it is so cold here right now, it takes a while to warm up your tires, so no real fast corners yet. But on an interchange that is basically a large circle the car felt much more planted.

I'm sure it'll settle a bit more, but I didn't want to be accused of starting a thread that was worthless without pics. LOL

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
jetmech
CF Senior Member

Looks really good!
\
jetmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
James2002z06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91LSMAN View Post
Ok, before anyone says it. Yes, I said many times that I would not lower my vette......shut up.

On Thursday I had the Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 shocks and sways installed and had my vette lowered on the "stock bolts" at the same time.

I have driven the car about 30 miles since the work was done. (At 100-200 miles I plan to get an alignment). The ride is more firm and a little more bouncy, but nothing uncomfortable. Being that it is so cold here right now, it takes a while to warm up your tires, so no real fast corners yet. But on an interchange that is basically a large circle the car felt much more planted.

I'm sure it'll settle a bit more, but I didn't want to be accused of starting a thread that was worthless without pics. LOL

Enough said.....
James2002z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
IRON MAIDEN
CF Senior Member

Is that really lowered? Looks like the factory height. Your car is fully settled already. It only takes a couple hard stops and launches to settle it down. I'm about to go with their Featherlight coilovers. I thought about trying the shocks but they are for factory height cars and I have mine almost as low as you can go in the front with C6 front bolts and longer rear bolts. I went as low as I could without scraping everything down the road. Trimmed an inch off the air dam too. My C6 Z06 shocks bottom out all the time so I figured these wouldn't work either since they have the exact same travel as OEM shocks do. Here is the description from their site.

"These Johnny O'Connell Shock upgrades are the only OEM quality replacements on the market. Made to the exact travel and durability requirements as the OEM shocks, these upgraded versions have a completely revised damping curve engineering into them. These shocks accomplish 2 things: One is that they remove the harsh ride characteristics associated with the OEM dampers, when at speed on a highway or hitting a bump in a middle of a turn. The other is that they are stiffer in performance applications like quick turn in to get the car planted in a turn, and transient handling moves from left to right and visa versa. These shocks are a "set it and forget it" solution that you can bolt on to your Corvette and know that it was tuned by Johnny and Pfadt to the exact specifciation it needs to be for a perfect performance and smooth ride balance. These shocks will work for all models of C5/C6 Corvettes"
IRON MAIDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
James2002z06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN View Post
Is that really lowered? Looks like the factory height. Your car is fully settled already. It only takes a couple hard stops and launches to settle it down. I'm about to go with their Featherlight coilovers. I thought about trying the shocks but they are for factory height cars and I have mine almost as low as you can go in the front with C6 front bolts and longer rear bolts. I went as low as I could without scraping everything down the road. Trimmed an inch off the air dam too. My C6 Z06 shocks bottom out all the time so I figured these wouldn't work either since they have the exact same travel as OEM shocks do. Here is the description from their site.

"These Johnny O'Connell Shock upgrades are the only OEM quality replacements on the market. Made to the exact travel and durability requirements as the OEM shocks, these upgraded versions have a completely revised damping curve engineering into them. These shocks accomplish 2 things: One is that they remove the harsh ride characteristics associated with the OEM dampers, when at speed on a highway or hitting a bump in a middle of a turn. The other is that they are stiffer in performance applications like quick turn in to get the car planted in a turn, and transient handling moves from left to right and visa versa. These shocks are a "set it and forget it" solution that you can bolt on to your Corvette and know that it was tuned by Johnny and Pfadt to the exact specifciation it needs to be for a perfect performance and smooth ride balance. These shocks will work for all models of C5/C6 Corvettes"

A funny thing today ,I haven't put a lot of miles on mine since having it lowered with the aftermarket bolts , but after today and after giving the car a beating a few times it had a bounce to it .... Nice to know that modding will never stop ... It's not about the money anymore that went out the window a year ago
Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
3318C5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to 3318C5

Looks good!!!!
3318C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
DevilDog II
CF Senior Member
Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech View Post
Looks really good!
\
DevilDog II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
Silverback51
CF Senior Member

Took mine a couple weeks to take a final set after lowering it on the stock bolts. And it's a daily driver.
Silverback51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
James2002z06
CF Senior Member

Default After market bolts ,

She's pretty low ....Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
91LSMAN
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN View Post
Is that really lowered? ....
Yes.

Here is a shot in the same spot right after wheel installation

I don't want a "slammed" look. It's my only car and the roads here can get pretty bad sometimes.

I've heard a lot of different opinions as far as how long it takes to settle.

I can also tell it is lowered because I had to stretch more when cleaning the bottom of the sides. LOL

I took a few measurements before everything was done and in a couple weeks I'll take new ones and see how much it dropped.

THANKS ALL!!!
91LSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
James2002z06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Yes.

Here is a shot in the same spot right after wheel installation

I don't want a "slammed" look. It's my only car and the roads here can get pretty bad sometimes.

I've heard a lot of different opinions as far as how long it takes to settle.

I can also tell it is lowered because I had to stretch more when cleaning the bottom of the sides. LOL

I took a few measurements before everything was done and in a couple weeks I'll take new ones and see how much it dropped.

THANKS ALL!!!
Brother , get off the gas man ...your car looks great love the color , you think
Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
91LSMAN
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2002z06 View Post
Brother , get off the gas man ...your car looks great love the color , you think
What?

LOL
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
Roc87
CF Senior Member

OP, car looks great, I can tell it looks lower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
Took mine a couple weeks to take a final set after lowering it on the stock bolts. And it's a daily driver.
I "adjusted" my bolts today, Left 3 threads showing in the back, and backed the front off 1/2 turn from fully counter clockwise. Went for a spirited drive and after about 25 miles, the rear of the car is about 1/2" lower, but the front is still the same! If it takes a couple weeks, I guess I'd better cancel the alignment I had scheduled tuesday after I get the new tires put on

'01 Vette - "FRV - Fixed Roof Vert", Z06 Sways, C6Z Shocks, Z16 rims, Hurst Short Throw, Vortex Intake, "Sycho"Tune, AR Headers, B&B PRTs, RKT56 built 3.90 diff. - 337RWHP/350Ft.lbs; 13.6@106 w/ 7100'D/A

'87 Astroroof GNX Clone - 156k miles, STOCK Engine (Minus Timing Set & Springs) With A Few Bolt Ons, 422RWHP/502Ft.lbs 1.73(60') 7.40(8th) 11.55@118 w/ 91 Oct. & ALKY. Now in TimeOut for a spun rod bearing

Roc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
Wadoka
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

That is a great-looking car. Keep us informed on the Pfadt gear. I have just installed their transmission mount and I was thinking of getting the JO'C kit as my next addition!
Wadoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
James2002z06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
What?

LOL
Those are or were words from my 22 year old daughter , get off the gas daddy... I'm sure it's cool , lol
Old 01-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #16
91LSMAN
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc87 View Post
OP, car looks great, I can tell it looks lower...
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by geksegqu View Post
What a great car,keep up the good work...
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadoka View Post
That is a great-looking car. Keep us informed on the Pfadt gear. I have just installed their transmission mount and I was thinking of getting the JO'C kit as my next addition!
Thanks-will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2002z06 View Post
Those are or were words from my 22 year old daughter , get off the gas daddy... I'm sure it's cool , lol
OK
Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #17
Vetteman Jack
CF Senior Member
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Location: Jefferson City, MO Currently Own: 2003 Milestone Edition. Previously Owned: '79, '79, '84, '89, '94, '95, '99 and '00

Nice upgrade and your car looks great.
Vetteman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
'Shifter
Gimme fuel, gimme fire...
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Member '09
Support Corvetteforum!

Looks really good man!
'Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
Todds427
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12

WOW, that thing must have been a 4x4 before you lowered it? It does look nice but I would go even LOWER!
Todds427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #20
91LSMAN
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack View Post
Nice upgrade and your car looks great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Shifter View Post
Looks really good man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todds9 View Post
WOW, that thing must have been a 4x4 before you lowered it? It does look nice but I would go even LOWER!
Thanks All.

No it's not getting Lower. LOL (except for anymore that it settles.)
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page First Impressions After Lowering, Pfadt Shocks and Sway Bars....