Sponsored by:

Should I install LS6 intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 PM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Should I install LS6 intake?

I've read a lot about the LS6 intake and how it's helpful for modded cars. My question is, is it worth the money to have an LS6 intake installed on my car with these list of mods?

99 M6
Vararam Intake
Vararam Air Bridge
LG Street Series Headers - with new plugs and wires
B&B RT 66 Catback
DMH Electric Cutouts (installed on the muffler pipes just prior to mufflers)

I'm also having an LS7 clutch installed this spring.

So with my list of power mods, is an LS6 intake really worth spending the money? I'm assuming I would pick up about 10-15 hp with my current mods. Does that sound about right? I really don't know if I'll ever put a cam or blower on my car.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

yes.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:31 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Sure
Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 PM
fishbust
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like the Harley's, the best bang for the buck is help them breathe in better, breathe out better and tune accordingly. Horses after that point come at a much higher cost.

With my C5 I went with a BBK intake, looks better than plastic in my opinion and is supposed to flow better. Either way, upgrading the intake is a good thing. And many will tell you a good time to install oil pressure sender relocate kit while you are there.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

10-15hp maybe for $350-400 isn't worth it to me!

Save your money!

Put a gear in your car if you want to see a difference!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you can get the intake cheap enough, go for it. I will flow better than what you have on there now.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM
fishbust
Racer

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
10-15hp maybe for $350-400 isn't worth it to me!

Save your money!

Put a gear in your car if you want to see a difference!
It doesn't work like that.
One bolt on component is not going to make a big difference.
You have to increase air in (pre 2001 needs it), breath out the back easier, then richen up mixture to compensate for more air and a leaner condition by adjusting injector pulses via tune and the pcm tune will also unleash torque held in reserve by emissions settings. A lower t stat will also help and reduce chance of pinging.

So you see, it is not about a single $400 bolt on, a bolt on is just part of the overall picture to make a good car better.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

Depends on your ultimate goal. Determine your goal, then buy the parts to meet the goal. If your considering h/c down the road you may want to wait and buy a fast.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsos30
I've read a lot about the LS6 intake and how it's helpful for modded cars. My question is, is it worth the money to have an LS6 intake installed on my car with these list of mods?

99 M6
Vararam Intake
Vararam Air Bridge
B&B RT 66 Catback

So with my list of power mods, is an LS6 intake really worth spending the money? I'm assuming I would pick up about 10-15 hp with my current mods. Does that sound about right? I really don't know if I'll ever put a cam or blower on my car.

Thanks in advance.
This is a good start

Originally Posted by fishbust
Just like the Harley's, the best bang for the buck is help them breathe in better, breathe out better and tune accordingly. Horses after that point come at a much higher cost.

With my C5 I went with a BBK intake, looks better than plastic in my opinion and is supposed to flow better. Either way, upgrading the intake is a good thing. And many will tell you a good time to install oil pressure sender relocate kit while you are there.
1000 %

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
If you can get the intake cheap enough, go for it. I will flow better than what you have on there now.
AMEN

It doesn't work like that.
One bolt on component is not going to make a big difference.
You have to increase air in (pre 2001 needs it), breath out the back easier, then richen up mixture to compensate for more air and a leaner condition by adjusting injector pulses via tune and the pcm tune will also unleash torque held in reserve by emissions settings. A lower t stat will also help and reduce chance of pinging.

So you see, it is not about a single $400 bolt on, a bolt on is just part of the overall picture to make a good car better.

Originally Posted by yaknow
Depends on your ultimate goal. Determine your goal, then buy the parts to meet the goal. If your considering h/c down the road you may want to wait and buy a fast.
This statement is spot on

How many miles on the Motor ?

My thing is a LS-6 Intake is good a F.A.S.T intake is awsome but with that said it is also 800.00 + but real sweet looking under the hood and was my choice. I would also look at getting a ported Throttle Body also and get a re-tune. You will have a very snappy motor after that remember this is your vette not mine or anybody else's so what you feel you want is a that matters.

Pops
Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

99 M6
Vararam Intake
Vararam Air Bridge
B&B RT 66 Catback
Like they said, it can add about 10-15 hp. If that is worth the price to you, then go for it.

My '99 is very similar to yours with
99 M6
Vararam Intake
Vararam Air Bridge
LG Pro Headers - with new plugs and wires
B&B RT 66 Catback

And I have a FAST 78 intake. Probably not much different than an LS6.
And an HPtuners tune.

I don't know how much just the intake added, but I am very pleased with the combination. Runs high 12's (even with me as a bad drag racer) and gets great gas mileage too.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 AM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

So if I'm not thinking about doing head/cam, is the LS6 really worth it then? I get thats it's my car and do what I want with it, but with my few mods that I have, am I really going to notice any "seat of the pants" difference?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 PM
esemes
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

......and, does it need a tune to get the gain?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM
leet13
Instructor

This may be my next mod as well! Go for it!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 PM
fishbust
Racer

Originally Posted by esemes
......and, does it need a tune to get the gain?
No offense intended but after 11 responses you don't know yet if and why you do need a tune regardless of if you change your manifold or not? Or why a pre-2001 needs an intake manifold upgrade?

Take out the PCM (it is inside the passenger side front fender accessed from inside wheel well) and send it to ECS (site vendor) for a $149 custom tune made for your specific car and bolt-on mods while you change your intake manifold and thermostat and the end result will be a different car with real "seat of the pants dyno" results.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

No offense intended but after 11 responses you don't know yet if and why you do need a tune regardless of if you change your manifold or not? Or why a pre-2001 needs an intake manifold upgrade?

Take out the PCM (it is inside the passenger side front fender accessed from inside wheel well) and send it to ECS (site vendor) for a $149 custom tune made for your specific car and bolt-on mods while you change your intake manifold and thermostat and the end result will be a different car with real "seat of the pants dyno" results.
If your not planning any additional mods the ls6 is good to 500hp at the crank. Go forward but, as mentioned get at least a mail order tune.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 AM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Keep your eye peeled on here and other sites, one will pop up at the right price. It will be a great addition with what you already have especially if you get a tune as well.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 PM
bontrager
Pro

99 M6
Vararam Intake
Vararam Air Bridge
B&B RT 66 Catback

Thanks in advance.
and I would consider a larger flow throttle body and a tune; a must.

You may also want to consider going to a 390 or 410 gears in the rear end. You will accelerate much quicker than with the new manifold and throttle body.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:25 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by bontrager
and I would consider a larger flow throttle body and a tune; a must.

You may also want to consider going to a 390 or 410 gears in the rear end. You will accelerate much quicker than with the new manifold and throttle body.
Would a larger Throttle body help? As the LS1 and LS6 both use the 78mm TB, would placing a larger TB just be restricted because the snout on the LS6 is sized for a 78mm TB? I would think porting and polishing the stock TB would help more. Just my uneducated opinion, but would be interested to know if I am off base.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

For what it's worth I have pretty much the same set-up you do, on my '98, but no headers yet.

Vararam B2, Borla Stingers, Katech fixed idler pulley to start.

I had the LS6 manifold installed and had the car dyno tuned, and I picked up 14 peak whp, and averaged 6 whp across the curve.

There's no telling whether the intake actually made that much difference, or whether it was mostly the tune.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I install LS6 intake?

Quick Reply: Should I install LS6 intake?