Sponsored by:

Hit a Freaking Dog Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GP777
Dogs dead...got a flat spot the size of my back tire. Maybe the owner wil invite you to the dogs funeral.

Dog should have been in a fence or on a leash.

Thanks for the constructive response.

Sweet jeebus man! Most people consider the dog like a part of the family. You are acting like you drove over something totally insignificant. I understand being annoyed at the dog's owner for letting the dog get loose, but you should have a heart. If my dog died I would be just as heartbroken as if my mother or father died. Clearly your aren't a dog person.

Good luck with the car.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by OKZ06
If you hit a cat you would probably getting cheers around here.
Lol
Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by reath1
Wow! I am as much of a dog lover as anyone. We have 5 in fact, but if one of ours ran out in front of any car, much less a vette, I would expect the drivers LAST worry would be my dog. Absolutely no excuse for someone's pet to be loose.

I am pretty sure that a vette vs. one of our dogs would be complete and total carnage to both at any speed over 20 MPH. I would think the driver would probably have the big guy or gal in his lap.

Goddamn those Mastiffs are huge
Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 PM
GP777
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by El original
IMHO a dog is a dog and does escape and runs wild...accidents happen and you never can be completely prepared for such things coming out of no where. Be very happy it was not someones kid and understand just how quickly things can happen. I think OP was not thinking when posting that it could be thought of as insensitive and this is the Corvette forum...so he had a question about his Corvette not somebodys runaway dog. I too feel for someones dog that will be missed and am sure OP feels the same.
The dog is dead. I hate it, but it was an unavoidable accident and something I can't change. I have a dog and really enjoy having it around, but that's not the point and your right, this is a corvette forum and I have/had a legitimate concern about my car. You would think I posted my question on a PETA forum.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GP777
The dog is dead. I hate it, but it was an unavoidable accident and something I can't change. I have a dog and really enjoy having it around, but that's not the point and your right, this is a corvette forum and I have/had a legitimate concern about my car. You would think I posted my question on a PETA forum.
Michael Vick was a dog owner too.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 PM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock
Michael Vick was a dog owner too.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by andrec10
How about the poor dog you insensitive ******! That was someone's dog! The GOD DAMN car can be fixed!
Are you assuming he didn't care about the dog because he didn't emote at the appropriate level? It should occur to you that he may feel bad enough already without you piling on. Talk about insensitive...
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Just amazing. No one wants to hit a dog and kill it. The experience is not pleasant and each of us deal with it in different ways. Would any of you like someone judging you for whatever reason?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Breze84
Goddamn those Mastiffs are huge
...and look at the size of those dogs!

If a Vette hit one of those, it would be the dog posting on th Canine Forum tonight about how a freaking Corvette ran in to his *** today and scratched it, damn out of control Corvettes!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That's good stuff...and you may be right.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:52 AM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Freakin' dog lovers blowing a fuse...his post doesn't mean he didn't feel bad for the dog. This isnt' a dog loving forum, it's a vette loving forum. Yeah, the damn dog should have been in a back yard or on a leash. Stupid owner caused the death and the damage. Hope the car gets fixed.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:01 AM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reath1
Wow! I am as much of a dog lover as anyone. We have 5 in fact, but if one of ours ran out in front of any car, much less a vette, I would expect the drivers LAST worry would be my dog. Absolutely no excuse for someone's pet to be loose.

I am pretty sure that a vette vs. one of our dogs would be complete and total carnage to both at any speed over 20 MPH. I would think the driver would probably have the big guy or gal in his lap.

reath1. You are a man who has his priorities in order. Those pictures have everything of what life is all about. Beautiful in so many ways.

To the op. You'll get over it.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookieracer

I'm a dog owner/lover, in fact my Lab was the ring bearer at my wedding. My dogs are an integral part of my family just slightly less important than my kids.

I guess this makes me even less tolerant of people who don't take proper care of their pets. I would ask around the neighborhood to see if the dog being loose was a regular occurrence. If so, hand the owner the bill for the repairs to your car. If this is the first time then offer your condolences to the owner.

On edit:
Sorry about your Vette.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Illini Al
Not your fault, OP, but I feel worse for the dog than I do for you. You have insurance and the car can be fixed. The dog cannot.
With his attitude, I don't even feel bad for the OP.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:21 AM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the OP says he has a dog, I would NOT WANT TO BE THAT DOG!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

I won't comment on the OP's feelings about the dog because I don't know his mind. But their is definitely two different views being expressed here for sure. I can say, my dog is more important to me than my Vette. I can't say everyone's dog is more important than my car but I certainly wouldn't "speed up" whether I was in my car or my truck. I totaled out a car about 20 years ago dodging a dog running out into the road. Not something I intended to happen but when the car came to a rest I knew it was good things happened as they did. A small child, 3 years old was standing in the middle of the road with her mother running towards her.

What I didn't know was that the child was running after the dog and a few seconds difference the outcome could have been a disaster. I didn't mind the wrecked car after considering what could have been.

For what it's worth, I don't consider this a "Corvette forum", for me it is a people forum for those who share a love for Corvettes. A small but significant distinction for me.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:36 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, just your title shows your insensitivity! It wasn't the dog's fault. The title should be "I hit a poor dog that the freakin owner let loose".

Get notified of new replies

To Hit a Freaking Dog Today

Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 AM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about the poor dog you insensitive ******! That was someone's dog! The GOD DAMN car can be fixed!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Silverback51
Race Director

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn, I'm glad I only hit a tree that had fallen in the wind storm.

At least no one came to the defense of, or felt sorry for the tree.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

I never have hit a dog but if I did in one of my cars, I'd be pizzed off if it caused a thousand dollar's damage. I would however, try to find the owner to let him know what happened. On whether I'd ask the owner to pay for my damages, I don't know what I'd do.
A few years ago, I've seen a neighbor's small dog get run over about ten feet away as I was talking to the owner in my yard. The dog ran across the road to the get to her owner and another neighbor driving a SUV ran it over. It was a terrible sight, the owner, who is crying uncontrollably, begged me (EMT at the time) to save her dog as the dog was still twitching. The dog was already dead, the only thing I could do was put my shirt over the dog and carry it to the owner's house. About two weeks later, the dog's owner asked me to testify as she was going to sue the driver. I felt so bad but I said no, the dog ran out in the street and got ran over by the rear tire, nothing could have been done by the driver.
I'm guessing the OP feels bad about killing the dog but what was the OP to do? Should the OP be responsible for the Corvette's damage or should the dog's owner be responsible to pay, I would say the latter. To call the OP a ****** is just wrong.

I consider myself a pet lover, I have three cats of my own and currently have another one I'm babysitting for.

Quick Reply: Hit a Freaking Dog Today