Old 02-15-2013, 04:08 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 245 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

Default Spring time read about The Wave Attn: newbies especially

What is "The Wave"?

From the August/September 1969 issue of Corvette News

Ever since Corvette No. 00001 first met Corvette No. 00002 on the road, their drivers saluted each other with waves. Today, unfortunately, this grand and glorious tradition is wavering. WAVE WHEN YOU PASS ANOTHER CORVETTE!
There's one item of standard equipment that comes as a pleasant surprise to every new Corvette owner. It's an instant wave of recognition he or she receives when he meets one of their ilks on the road. The first time it happens, they will be taken by surprise. He immediately thinks: 1. He has been mistaken for Sterling Moss. 2. His lights are on. 3. He has just been given the bird.
Soon, however, the new Vette owner anticipates, indeed even relishes, encountering other Vettes as he drives. During this period, he experiments with his waves, running the gamut from the gaping "yoo hoo" to the ultra cool "two finger flip." He perfects his timing, making sure he affects neither a too-early wave, nor the jaded "oh brother" too-late variety. Determined not to be one upped, he even develops a defense mechanism for non wavers, usually settling on the "Wave"? My hand was just on the way to scratch my head" approach. (This is especially useful when you're not driving your Vette, but you forget, and like a dummy, you wave anyway.)
Indeed, one of the most perplexing problems facing a would-be waver is what to do when driving next to a fellow Vette owner. Passing him going in opposite directions is one thing. Greetings are exchanged, and that's that. But what happens when you pull up next to a guy at a light, wave, nod, smile and then pull up to him at the next light, a block later? Wave again? Nod bashfully? Grin self-consciously? Ignore him? Or take the chicken's way out and turn down the next side street? If you're expecting an answer, you won't find it here. Sad to say, some questions don't have any. SAVE THE WAVE!
Girl-type Corvette drivers also have a unique problem: to wave or not to wave. This miss or misses who borrows her man's Corvette for the first time is immediately faced with this quandary. Should she wave first and look overly friendly, or ignore the wave and look like a snob? Most ladies who drive their own Vettes prefer to suffer the latter rather than take a chance of being misread. For this reason, all girls are excused for occasionally failing to return a well-meaning wave. So are new owners who are still learning the ropes.
There is no excuse, however, for a guy who refuses to return the wave, not out of ignorance, but of arrogance or apathy. While this type of behavior is the exception to the rule, it seems a few owners of newer models refuse to recognize anything older than theirs, while some others simply won't wave, period. Boo on them. These ding-a-lings don't seem to realize that they are helping to squash a tradition that had its beginnings back when most of us were still driving tootsietoys.

Wave "Rules"
by Dan Woomer, Lost Caravan Corvette Club

The Corvette Wave is an integral part of the mystique and culture of the Corvette owner experience. Corvette owners who wave at fellow Corvette owners when they pass on the road, show a mark of recognition that you are among the elite group of intelligent people who are driving America's True Sports Car. And as a member of this elite group, you should be recognized for your poise and intelligence. So for those who don't know the five simple Corvette Wave rules, here they are:
  1. There is no excuse for not waving at your fellow Corvette owner.
    Although most Corvette owners have the class and understanding to accept when their wave is not returned, not waving is a serious breach of proper Corvette etiquette.
  2. Whoever sees the other Corvette first, starts the wave.
    There isn't any rule about who waves first. This is simple; if you see another Corvette, wave!
  3. Rules 1 and 2 apply to both sexes.
    As far as who starts the wave, it doesn't make a difference if you are a man or women. Rules 1 and 2 apply.
  4. Any type of wave is okay.
    Whether you shoot a big wave up through your open Vette top, out the window, or a quick salute with your hand on the steering wheel, any wave that can be seen by the other Corvette driver is okay. However, this does not include any style of jester that can be interpreted as obscene or insulting. Remember, Corvette owners are a class act; while someone might have been rude or stupid to you, try not to return the favor. (This is a tough rule not to break with all the stupid drivers who manage to get a driver's license.)
  5. A late wave is better than no wave.
    If you suddenly realize that a Corvette driver is passing and waving at you, get a wave off as soon as possible. The other Corvette driver may see your wave in their rear view mirror and realize that you where just a little late in getting your wave going. Although missing the timing of your wave is a "goof," getting off a wave that the other Corvette driver has a chance to see can acceptably cover this slip-up.
So you can see the underlying concept here is simple: Wave at your fellow Corvette owners, whoever they are, whenever you see them. This will show you are a person who understands the full measure and etiquette that comes with your proud ownership of a Corvette.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM
John1990
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 02-15-2013, 05:18 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

100% and think this should be posted in all Corvette Forums.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:23 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by FrankLP
100% and think this should be posted in all Corvette Forums.
Wouldn't argue with that Frank. I hate to generalize, but my experience indicates that drivers of the newer styles need the most wake-ups...

The following users liked this post:
c5arlen (01-06-2016)
Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 PM
andynpz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=calvins;1583131545]From: http://www.savethewave.net/stw/TheWave.asp

But what happens when you pull up next to a guy at a light, wave, nod, smile and then pull up to him at the next light, a block later? Wave again? Nod bashfully? Grin self-consciously? Ignore him? Or take the chicken's way out and turn down the next side street? If you're expecting an answer, you won't find it here. Sad to say, some questions don't have any. SAVE THE WAVE! QUOTE]

Roll down your window if necessary - (it should be down all the time!). Exchange "NICE CAR!!" greetings at first light - continue conversation at next light - try not to rear end another car at the third light
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 PM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If i'm drivin a car at work ( varies greatly ), My accord or my dually I wave anyway. Dont think about it.

Bad habbit?

If a stukup moron in a C6 looks at me like Im crazy when Im in whatever, thats his problem....
Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Save the wave indeed.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
Save the wave indeed.
We'll hold you to it when we see you drive your new '14. Better be a wave and not a chin up/eyes closed snob gesture!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

The world is too full of anger, road rage, bigotry, racial bias, and just a plain absence or lack of human kindness and good will.

If someone must show the way, lead to waves and smiles, a friendly nod, a simple act of kindness to another; let it be us. Corvette drivers of America, and elsewhere.

Let's lead by how we greet and treat each other, and then let the respect we show each other spread. By example, let us show others, a humble dignity we show for each other, drivers of these great cars. America's sports car!

Maybe, it can spread some good will, and a smile, into others days. A sign of class, maturity, and mutual honoring of all the generations of Corvette.

I say, save the wave. Let Corvette drivers, by example, show all drivers, how to treat each other with simple respect and humble dignity.

My father always told me someone has to be the adult in the room (or on the roads). Let it be us.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Oldtimer

In my other Vettes, I've had people (not in Vettes) start talking to me at red lights, when I come out of a store, etc. I ALWAYS take the time to talk to them. Even if I'm in a bit of a hurry, a minuted or two won't kill me. We have toll bridges around here that were a buck to cross when I had my other Vettes (I think they've gone up) and I've been known to pay for the car behind me, without them knowing of course. I'll just pay extra and tell the toll collector: "this is for the car behind me, tell them to have a nice day". Of course I don't do that if it's a beemer or Mercedes, etc... but if they just look like an average person.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 AM
ErMaK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ALWAYS wave at other Vette owners! SAVE THE WAVE!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:25 PM
cpaxson
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 4th Corvette over 45 years; I always wave............

Get notified of new replies

To Spring time read about The Wave Attn: newbies especially

Quick Reply: Spring time read about The Wave Attn: newbies especially