Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had any luck with sound deadening?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Maybizel
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Has anyone had any luck with sound deadening?

I was thinking of ordering the precut sound deadening kit that goes underneath the carpeting and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with these and if it actually makes that big of a difference?
Old 04-06-2013, 01:30 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

More talk about in the Sounds forum, but when done right it makes a huge difference. I have a large kit and plan on doing it sometime myself.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a regular sound deadening kit from a vendor. After a while I wanted an extra layer to kill vibration sounds and reduce road noise. Dynamatted the whole car and put the sound deadening kit over it in some areas (left it out in others). I would say the sound deadening kit worked will. Dynamat + the sound deadening kit was even better.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:40 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I did have a sound/heat reducing kit installed in my C5; from Vettenuts in TN.
I drove down and had them do the install. Nice drive (8 hours each way for me), and no sore back when done.

There is a two layer kit, and I recommend both layers, if you go this way. They completely stripped my interior, seats, carpet, console, door panels, etc. All the pieces of the kit were cut by computer program, and seemed to fit together perfectly.

Installed the first layer, then the second. Then re-installed all my interior. All took only about 4 hours. I know it would have taken me days, had i tried to do it myself...

I noticed right away, on the trip home, that it was quieter, and I needed or was able to turn the radio 'down' from it's usual level, to hear music and talk. Music from my stereo is much better and easier to enjoy.
I noticed a wonderful reduction of road noise from the tires. You find you can hear the sound of other cars going bye, as there is less noise from my C5. And conversation with someone in the car with you, is much easier, too.

You can still hear the exhaust, it's still a sports car; and one should not expect Cadillac type quietness.

I know that when summer gets here, there will also be a substantive decrease in cab interior heat, from this kit as well. It covers the intire console area, too.

I think this was a great upgrade for me, that will never wear out.
I highly recommend this type of sound/heat reducing kit; for all who intend to keep and drive their Corvette.

Last edited by donald4972; 04-06-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 04-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Maybizel
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you very much for the input guys! I plan on doing this in the winter but I'm buying a bunch of stuff now to prepare. I'm also gonna do new seat covers an foam. So I figured while I had the seats out I mine as well pull the carpets and do the sound deadening. I think I will go with the dynamat and the pre cut and see how it does.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

It's expensive, but look at Second Skin Audio products. I figure as long as you've gone to the trouble of removing the interior you may as well spend a few dollars more & do it right.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:10 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickeyrx70
It's expensive, but look at Second Skin Audio products. I figure as long as you've gone to the trouble of removing the interior you may as well spend a few dollars more & do it right.
I did second skin, great product excellent results!

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone had any luck with sound deadening?

Quick Reply: Has anyone had any luck with sound deadening?