Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] It never ceases to amaze me......

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 PM
bing44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It never ceases to amaze me......

.......how people with professed knowledge can mess something up so badly. This Z06 of mine, 2002, has had minor problems since I got it, not the least of which was broken valve springs. When I broke one, I bought good aftermarket springs and replaced them all. There were three different brands on the engine when I tore it down. Now I have a shifter problem, so here's what I found. Taking of the instrument panel (IP) trim, one of the screws was missing and the remaining screws were sheet metal screws out of someone's assortment, not the factory screws.

Here is a shot of the boot.

Some moron stuck some kind of tar like adhesive in the boot with alum. foil, evidently to mask the shifter buzz from the ridiculous shifter shown here.

This shifter is not even built well. As you can see it is a two pc. unit, held together with 5/16" bolts, threaded into the bottom shaft such that the threads were in shear with the two shafts. One of the bolts (the top one) broke while I was at the mall and I had to shift with the short part until I could get home and replace the bolt.

Which brings me to the main reason for my post. I need to replace the isolator pad and rubber boot that is supposed to dampen vibes, because the main moron cut the inner ring off the stock boot so it would fit over the moronic shifter. Where would be a good place to buy one to go over my new Hurst shifter?

Oh, yeah......I will be dropping the tranny to get first gear synchros installed because the previous owner evidently couldn't be troubled to use the clutch. It is sitting on my DanMar four post lift as we speak.

jim
Old 04-20-2013, 09:55 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a B&M shifter?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Is that a B&M shifter?
Doesn't look like any B&M shifter I have ever seen.

That is some crazy "poop" that the guy did to that shifter assembly. All I can say is WOW!

bing44 - I have a cheap stock shifter with the stock **** on it, if you want it to get back on the street.

Micah
Old 04-20-2013, 10:48 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

That is a Breathless Performance shifter, and a lot of people like it.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 AM
kingrobby25
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats also Dynamat sound deadener all over it. Not sure why it would be inside the boot. How did this thing look from the outside??

Last edited by kingrobby25; 04-21-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 AM
bing44
Instructor

I already have a Hurst, thank you, and will be putting it in when the tranny is fixed. I don't know what that shifter is but I would not recommend it to anyone. The sound deadener was not visible when all buttoned up but it didn't work.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:16 AM
dan1546
Racer

You might need the cut rubber boot to fit over the hurst shifter. The stock boot does not fit over most aftermarket shifter bases fyi.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 AM
callie454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is indeed a Breathless Perf. Prod. shifter. I like mine a great deal. It allows for short throws, and adds rearward cant to the shifter.
I can understand why you would want to throw it into the ocean, along with the other crapola mods performed to your car by the PO. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 AM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are getting alot of vibration you may want to replace the shifter box itself the isolator bushing do not last long due the the heat they are under , your boots trash from what i see so get a new one but they do not really cut down on the vibration / buzzing much. The hack before you just tryed to insulate the wrong part, do a search on here vibrations with after market shifter do happen .
i have a mgw at love it

Steve

Also one more thing you have a z06 if its your original box it does not have isolator bushings were the box mounts to the floor brackets only in the shaft. coupes have isolator bushings and c6 z06 boxes also have the isolator bushings (same box as the c5 ) mgw recomends ungrading to an isolated box to cut down on the vibration

Last edited by machz800ps; 04-21-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 PM
bing44
Instructor

Originally Posted by machz800ps
If you are getting alot of vibration you may want to replace the shifter box itself the isolator bushing do not last long due the the heat they are under , your boots trash from what i see so get a new one but they do not really cut down on the vibration / buzzing much. The hack before you just tryed to insulate the wrong part, do a search on here vibrations with after market shifter do happen .
i have a mgw at love it

Steve

Also one more thing you have a z06 if its your original box it does not have isolator bushings were the box mounts to the floor brackets only in the shaft. coupes have isolator bushings and c6 z06 boxes also have the isolator bushings (same box as the c5 ) mgw recomends ungrading to an isolated box to cut down on the vibration

Where would I find an isolated box?
Old 04-21-2013, 03:14 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

2013 C6 Shifter kit from GMPH. I don't know if they sell the box separately.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...rts-house.html
Old 04-21-2013, 06:49 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by bing44
I need to replace the isolator pad and rubber boot that is supposed to dampen vibes, because the main moron cut the inner ring off the stock boot so it would fit over the moronic shifter. Where would be a good place to buy one to go over my new Hurst shifter?
I am going to take a wild stab in the dark and say "a Chevrolet dealer".
Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by callie454
That is indeed a Breathless Perf. Prod. shifter. I like mine a great deal. It allows for short throws, and adds rearward cant to the shifter.
I can understand why you would want to throw it into the ocean, along with the other crapola mods performed to your car by the PO. Good luck!
I had one and it was a piece of crap. Since then I've tried a C6Z, and settled on a MGW. These T56s are not very smooth shifting, and I've done all the mods to mine over the years, to no avail. At least with the MGW, I can feel the missed shift before I drop the clutch. Mostly
Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bing44
This Z06 of mine, 2002, has had minor problems since I got it, not the least of which was broken valve springs.
I have you on the master list, but I don't have your build info. Can you PM me the last 5 digits of your VIN?

corvetteforum.com/c5-z06-discussion/build-date-vin-analysis-of-ls6-valve-spring-failures.html
Old 04-22-2013, 05:43 PM
callie454
Pro

Originally Posted by zeevette
I had one and it was a piece of crap. Since then I've tried a C6Z, and settled on a MGW. These T56s are not very smooth shifting, and I've done all the mods to mine over the years, to no avail. At least with the MGW, I can feel the missed shift before I drop the clutch. Mostly
Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. I'll have to consider the MGW as an upgrade. It's really that much better?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. I'll have to consider the MGW as an upgrade. It's really that much better?
If you could see the MGW, and the BPP side-by-side, you could easily tell the quality diffence. The MGW is also a two-piece design. The handle is then adjustable, which I consider beneficial.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:40 AM
callie454
Pro

If you could see the MGW, and the BPP side-by-side, you could easily tell the quality diffence. The MGW is also a two-piece design. The handle is then adjustable, which I consider beneficial.
I saw that MGW very recently came out with their own shift box. Beautifully made piece. I've seen the MGW shifter in pics, and the quality is undeniable.
How adjustable is the handle? I'm really interested in knowing if it moves the location of the **** back and to the right. I've got long legs and the OEM shifter was buried in my right knee. The BPP solved that problem.

Get notified of new replies

To It never ceases to amaze me......

Old 04-23-2013, 11:37 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

The MGW is also a two-piece design. The handle is then adjustable, which I consider beneficial.
I think they're only selling the 1-piece design these days.

I saw that MGW very recently came out with their own shift box.
Awesome; thanks for the notification... it's not even on their website yet, but I found this thread: corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/mgw-billet-lower-shifter-box-ready.html
Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 PM
callie454
Pro

Originally Posted by skyavonee
Awesome; thanks for the notification... it's not even on their website yet, but I found this thread: corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/mgw-billet-lower-shifter-box-ready.html
Thats where I saw it too.
Does the one piece design of the new MGW take away from its adjustability? I'm assuming that the two piece allowed for a choice of positions that the one piece does not afford.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:20 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Thats where I saw it too.
Does the one piece design of the new MGW take away from its adjustability? I'm assuming that the two piece allowed for a choice of positions that the one piece does not afford.
Call and talk to George @ MGW. He's very helpful.

Quick Reply: [Z06] It never ceases to amaze me......