Painted Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 AM
NotAnExpert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default Painted Seats?

Before reading please understand I am not asking for car care tips or opinions on products. I am looking for data points. Thank you.

I was researching different products to rejuvenate and condition the leather and vinyl for the sport seats. On one forum a commentor stated that corvette seats are constructed of vinyl and leather(duh, obviously), and that they are then painted with a urethane to allow the color of the leather and vinyl in the seats to match. The commentor said the seats are not dyed and since they are painted the seats do not benefit from rejuvenators and conditions. Apparently the oils cannot penetrate the paint to help the leather/vinyl.

So I researched seat construction and I cannot find anything that specifies if GM paints or dyes the seats.

Anyone have clarification on this? Its important as it helps to understand how to care for the seats.

Thank you
Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 AM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I believe the seats were provided by Lear seats of Chicago and they are sprayed with a product that prevents any conditioners etc. from penetrating. Hence the cracking and unnatural wear look that these seats experience. (I heard that GM was not happy with the seats delivered to them but it took time to discover the short comings). Replacement (when necessary) is the best option and the cost is very reasonable. I replaced mine and they look much better than the stock and will wear like leather seats should wear. Many people are not aware that the seats are of both vinyl and leather almost everyone is convinced they are all leather so you were more informed than most...(duh,lol)

Quick Reply: Painted Seats?