Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Queens vs DD's

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Because people think itll be worth gold in 40 years.. Wait, Thats already the case today.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Because they break easily.

Serious.

Everyone will now dispute what I just said, but I firmly believe these cars are well ENGINEERED for perfomance, but not well BUILT for longevity. The damn things break down SITTING STILL. I have been reasonably lucky and I bought a low mileage car, but because of what I read on this forum, I am terrified every day I drive it that I am going to have to repair something very expensive or no longer available. I don't drive it daily because I need to get it paid for before I can afford to start fixing things that may leave me stranded.

If I had to do it all over again, I would consider a later (95-96) C4 with reasonable miles and I would drive the dogs#1t out of it every day...all day.

Last edited by Aerovette; 04-29-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 PM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Would Everyone just STOP! This topic is getting OLD!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
Because they break easily.

Serious.

Everyone will now dispute what I just said, but I firmly believe these cars are well ENGINEERED for perfomance, but not well BUILT for longevity. The damn things break down SITTING STILL. I have been reasonably lucky and I bought a low mileage car, but because of what I read on this forum, I am terrified every day I drive it that I am going to have to repair something very expensive or no longer available. I don't drive it daily because I need to get it paid for before I can afford to start fixing things that may leave me stranded.

If I had to do it all over again, I would consider a later (95-96) C4 with reasonable miles and I would drive the dogs#1t out of it every day...all day.
Wow, there's so much wrong with this post. I don't even know where to start.

ALL cars will break down SITTING STILL. Sitting unused for long periods of time is not good for any car. I don't care what country or company made it.

Furthermore the C5 is one of the most reliable sports cars ever made. And if and when things do break, parts are relatively cheap. You don't think so? Price out some German parts and get back to me.

And you're not driving it until it's paid for because then you can afford repairs? Plan poorly much? All cars have a particular cost per mile when you look at projected repairs, maintenance, and fuel. And yes, your average sports car will be higher than a Camry. It doesn't sound like you knew what you were getting into.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:57 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by andrec10
Would Everyone just STOP! This topic is getting OLD!
Yet you read on, and take the time to respond......
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I only put 2-3K miles on mine a year - perhaps more this year I hope. But people buy a car like the Corvette for a lot of reasons - and some do buy them just to drive on really nice days, some drive the tires off it, etc. I look at it this way, if an owner wants to keep the mileage down, just makes it that much better for the next owner.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
Hobby.

Why would Leno buy all the cars he does? He certainly can't drive them all.
oh for sure, i get the hobby angle.

leno's garage is spectacular
Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 PM
skydver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sircampsalot2
I would like to sneak into someones garage that has a pristine C5 with 20 miles on the odometer and take it for a spin....drive all night and return it with 450 miles on it...then see there face when they go into there garage to wax it and notice the miles! LMAO but I'm evil!
your name wouldn't be Ferris Bueller would it?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 PM
CalF
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Well for me if i would use it for a DD then after a while it would feel like my ,,,uh ,,,DD.I like knowing that it is parked in the garage under cover,just waiting for that sunny evening after work or the nice weekend coming up.I can pull the cover off and when i fire it up and pull out of the garage it feels special.That long day at work or the nagging wife seems to fade as the Z06 takes over.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:47 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by CalF
Well for me if i would use it for a DD then after a while it would feel like my ,,,uh ,,,DD.I like knowing that it is parked in the garage under cover,just waiting for that sunny evening after work or the nice weekend coming up.I can pull the cover off and when i fire it up and pull out of the garage it feels special.That long day at work or the nagging wife seems to fade as the Z06 takes over.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by runner140*
I've read many threads like this....never thought I would post one.

The salesman tried to sell me a "2009 Vette with 1500 miles.
The question was why would someone buy a Vette and not drive it?
I drive mine 50 miles a day, 7 days a week.
I think more Vettes than people realize are bought new by people that are successful and just go buy one because they can afford it. After a while they get tired of it. It's not worth the extra trouble to get in and out of and isn't as comfortable as what they are use too and they really don't care about performance. They are use to luxury cars, that's what they really like.

Ultimately after a year or 2 these cars find their way into the hands of people that really want a sports car.

I also believe that is why 6 speed Vettes are harder to find used than automatics. New Corvette demand dictates what Chevrolet dealers have on their lot ready to sell. These same buyers probably don't even know how to drive a 6 speed and go with the automatic and it's their preference anyway.

JMHO
Old 04-29-2013, 11:08 PM
circa62
Heel & Toe

I just purchased a 2002 coupe in February with 27K miles on it. It was a one owner stock car in great condition. I put new non-runflat tires on it (still had original runflats) and drive it as my DD. I just had my first oil change at 32K after less then two months. I am averaging more in a month of driving then the car use to do in a year. So far no complaints and I enjoy driving the car as much as I can.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 AM
almost had 1
Intermediate

Not driving your car to keep the miles low, is like not having sex with your wife so its great for the next guy. In my eyes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

This topic has been beaten to death countless times. Maybe I'm getting old or just plain crotchety, but why on earth would someone else be concerned or worried about how I use a car that I bought and paid for?

My car is a garage queen because that's what I bought it for. I don't think it will be more valuable some day or that it will melt in the rain, that's just how I enjoy my (two key words here for those of you who are garage queen challenged.) car. If you drive car in rain, snow, sleet, hail or other inclement conditions, I think that's awesome. It's your car. To be honest, I never give it a second thought when someone says their car is a daily driver.

Can we please put this topic to rest and discuss something less controversial such as the best motor oil or car wax?

Last edited by DevilDog II; 04-30-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Suthunman
I think more Vettes than people realize are bought new by people that are successful and just go buy one because they can afford it. After a while they get tired of it. It's not worth the extra trouble to get in and out of and isn't as comfortable as what they are use too and they really don't care about performance. They are use to luxury cars, that's what they really like.

Ultimately after a year or 2 these cars find their way into the hands of people that really want a sports car.

I also believe that is why 6 speed Vettes are harder to find used than automatics. New Corvette demand dictates what Chevrolet dealers have on their lot ready to sell. These same buyers probably don't even know how to drive a 6 speed and go with the automatic and it's their preference anyway.

JMHO
I didn't think of it that way...there are MANY, large boats down here that get used less then once a month.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I love those guys who keep garage queens. They are providing a valuable service caring for a car until I can afford to buy it.
Great point, my 2000 was a low mileage show car.....until I purchased it.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 AM
phrankw
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by almost had 1
Not driving your car to keep the miles low, is like not having sex with your wife so its great for the next guy. In my eyes
Yep. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Queens vs DD's

Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 AM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

There's an in-between, too, as far as the mileage. Our 2003 'vert has 42k miles - not a total garage queen but certainly not a daily driver either. In our case, there are other cars and there are many days when the convertible just isn't the right tool for the job, whether for size or weather reasons ...
Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by almost had 1
Thanks for being so concerned about my car and my sex life.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Wow, there's so much wrong with this post. I don't even know where to start.

ALL cars will break down SITTING STILL. Sitting unused for long periods of time is not good for any car. I don't care what country or company made it. Not what I meant. I meant I can drive the car all the way home and it is in perfect condition and the next morning, bam, something ridiculous is wrong with it.

Furthermore the C5 is one of the most reliable sports cars ever made. And if and when things do break, parts are relatively cheap. You don't think so? Price out some German parts and get back to me. I guess that's why there is a sticky listing all of the "issues" to watch for when purchasing one. Don't lie to yourselves. It is the "Jaguar of GM". I LOVE my Corvette, and have loved all the other ones I have owned, but I am not delusional about their quality.

And you're not driving it until it's paid for because then you can afford repairs? Plan poorly much? I do drive it. I don't drive it as spritedly as I would like to however, because the repairs to big ticket items are bigger in ticket than my budget allows. I can get in my beater truck, also made by GM, change the oil every 5 years whether it needs it or not, and KNOW that it will get me where I am going. My parents have a Ford van with 250k on the original drivetrain. Holy crap if the Corvette isn't climate controlled and tread like it's made from eggshells, it ***** the bed. You can plan for MAINTENANCE, you should not have to plan for all out failure...at least not often. I am a multiple Corvette owner and my circle of friends are also owners. The odds that we have all coincidentally purchased multiple lemons over decades of time is pretty slim.

All cars have a particular cost per mile when you look at projected repairs, maintenance, and fuel. And yes, your average sports car will be higher than a Camry. It doesn't sound like you knew what you were getting into.

Quick Reply: Garage Queens vs DD's