Sponsored by:

Newbie Dumb question #1

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Red74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Dumb question #1

The console lid on my 03 AE won't open the whole. It comes up about 4 inches or so but then stops. I've pulled pretty hard on it but don't want to force it and break something. Is the lid supposed to open fully, like about 90 degrees? If so, any ideas what to do to try to fix? Thanks in advance. And this probably won't be my last dumb question.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I'm guessing it is a low miles car without much console use. See if you can get some lubrication to the hinges and work the lid back and forth til it will open all the way.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:20 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Had my C5 and it took about two months and reading this forum to realize how to open it all the way. Open it until it binds. Then pull the lids towards the driver seat and then up and it will open fully.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM
andynpz
Instructor

I agree about lubrication with a light spray oil. It is a complex hinge and it's worth taking time to understand the way it works, rather than forcing it. The second 45 degrees of opening can't happen until the whole lid goes up about an inch to allow it to clear the console. With lubrication and practice it becomes a single smooth action.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by reath1
Had my C5 and it took about two months and reading this forum to realize how to open it all the way. Open it until it binds. Then pull the lids towards the driver seat and then up and it will open fully.
They're all like that. Just pull toward the driver's side and it will slide about a half inch and then open all the way. I was told it was to clear the parking brake handle, but seems odd.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:40 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

READ the owners manual, many SECRETS in there.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:53 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by reath1
What he said!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:57 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Here's a few more secrets:

Secrets of the C5
Copied from www.corvettemechanic.com

Quote:
● The little yellow “helper light” on the bottom of the rear-view mirror that illuminates the shifter area.
● That you can put your key in the driver’s door and turn it twice towards the front to unlock the passenger door and a third time to pop the trunk.
● That you can pop the trunk and also pop the gas cap cover by pulling on metal lines hidden in the back.
● The little slotted cover on the dash behind the steering wheel is where the inside air temperature sensor is located.
● All of the option codes are in the glove box.
● Tire inflation recommended pressures are on the driver’s door.
● The thing that looks like a little LED near the DIC buttons is a light sensor.
● The thing that looks like a little LED near the defroster vent is a UV sensor for determining A/C usage to compensate for the heating effect of the sun.
● The build sheet is in the front re-bar.
● If you leave your turn signal on, in about 1 minute it will start to ding (loud enough to hear over the stereo) to let you know you have old timers disease.
● You can reset the oil life by pumping the gas pedal 3 times (but not with the engine running).
● Hold down the reset button while on one of the trip odometers and it changes that reading to the miles you’ve traveled since last starting the engine.
● Hold down the Active Handling button for 5 sec. to engage “Competitive Driving” on cars equipped with active handling (2000 and previous years must be stopped.)
● If you pull the seatbelts all the way out while you’re buckled in, they ratchet back in to hold you tighter into the seat. (then move the seat forward to make it extra snug -- Leafty)
● Simply remove fuse #2 under the hood and your DRLs will be out permanently. Only thing affected is that when you unlock at night using the key fob your front turn signal lights and back up lights will not flash. Your front turn signals will operate normally, however.
● The side-view mirrors can twist both forward and backward, decreasing the chance of damage if struck.
● There is a release opening with a flap to let air out of the car when the hatch is closed. It is located just above the driver side rear compartment behind the carpet and on the side of the car. Not that it really works well.
● Also you can ground your amp to a screw/bolt that holds the rear middle compartment to the frame.
● If you have a 6-speed car you can pop the trunk when the car is running by lifting the e-brake.
● There is a spot on the driver side just out of the middle compartment under the carpet for the lug nut key. You should have a compartment on the drivers & passenger’s side (in the trunk) and a center compartment. On the left (drivers) side of the center compartment, on the left side where the center cover fits, there is an ‘indent’ that holds the wheel lock key.
● If you turn on the headlights, then go to parking light position, the lamps remain up but the headlights are not left on.
● If you have the passive entry feature: If you lock the keys in the car, wait a few minutes and then shake the car. That will unlock the car.
● HUD has a shift light for the manuals.
● You can easily shift the M6 trans up or down without the clutch if you match revs. (Not great for longevity, however.)
● You can eject the cd from the in-dash player without turning on any power. Don’t even need key in the ignition.
● The cruise will disengage if you purposely make sharp side to side turns while cruising at say 60-80 mph.
● When the engine is shut off, you can get the odometer reading by turning on the parking lights.
● You can program setting #3 (both memory buttons at once) in the seat memory to run the seat back and steering wheel forward for getting in/out of the car with the engine running.
● If you hate DRLs you can pull the e-brake ONE click and they go off.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Red74
Advanced

Thanks all. I hate to admit it but I did read the owner's manual. Must have missed it due to my advanced age and suffering from that dreaded condition, CRS. ;-) I also appreciate the 'tip' sheet. I had looked at that when negotiating on my sale and it really came in handy.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Here's a few more secrets: ...
Great list, thanks.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Some insider information.

Here is another slice of insider information.. That hinge was designed that way for a reason. We were trying to be proactive in its design. There was a hint that the 2000 model year would have a DOT mandate to protect the console from opening all the way in an impact allowing lose projectiles to fly out. We made it that way ahead of any government mandates. Once you understand it's purpose and design it will not be a problem. Much like active handling, the C5 was years ahead in its design and delivery.
I hope you find this interesting.
Bill aka ET
Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 PM
boostedfury
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

And here I thought hey it's a sports car it's only supposed to open like this....lol I'm a newb as well!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Illini Al
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Cool. I was also not aware of how to fully open it. Just ran out to try it and it worked.
(I'm easily amused)
Old 02-28-2013, 09:21 PM
RMB97LS1
Pro

Yeppers. Just don't force it, it'll break..
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Been learning a lot of neat stuff from Evil-Twin lately.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by WetteVette
Been learning a lot of neat stuff from Evil-Twin lately.

Which just goes to prove why we have 2 ears & 1 mouth! Maybe 2 eyes and 1 mouth?
Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Red74
Advanced

It worked! Tried it last night.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie Dumb question #1

Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Your question is certainly not dumb. Without asking questions, sometimes you will never know the answer.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 PM
fwrogg
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife thinks I am crazy looking at this forum everyday, but here again I learned something new, seems to never end with this car. She will think I am really crazy going through the list above, a lot of them I was not aware of, and if I was, to old to remember them all.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Now don't forget to lube the hinge assembly... If you have issues with console well I am thinking you will with the trunk not popping up high enough to get fingers under to lift. Same solution, lube the lock assembly and voila...it pops up high enough to get yer claw under. Greetings, Rob

Last edited by El original; 03-01-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie Dumb question #1