Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Wave!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 PM
sssmokn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry fellas to much waving going on for me . Between the car and riding my motorcycle it can get old quick . Just me .
Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Firechief
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my C5 I quickly found out about the wave on my ride home. I picked up on it real quickly. Took the wife out for a ride and a nice lady in a C5 gave me the wave and of course I waved back. Then it started --- who was that, do you know her? As I explained to the wife the wave, I was fortunate enough to have three other Vette's pass over a 30 minute time period and the drivers all waved. Now she understands the wave and looks forward to seeing others so she can give the wave.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:23 PM
LS2NSUV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GP777
That's cool. In my area, many corvette drivers just drive by without returning the wave. The odd thing here is many other non corvette drivers wave at each other regardless of what they are driving. The later is a southern thing I've seen all my life. The former I haven't figured out.
Deductive reasoning concludes that the other Corvette drivers are more than likely from out of town.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Here's another from OKC!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:32 PM
nitemaher
Pro

I pulled up along side of a 64 427 coupe on my way home from work and didnt even think that I wasnt in my vette I just waved and he returned the wave , those C2's have great lines!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I started out waving to others in my first car , an old "MG " that required the "MG' wave. I learned this was a holdover from the days when sports cars were rare, so you waved to each other in passing. Sort of a misery loves company thing, the cars were crude, the drivers involved, whether they liked it or not. I was told the "MG" drivers were the only ones who still waived.

Then I bought a Vette, and found out about "the wave'. It seems , around here, that cars of equal or lesser status will wave, New or newish corvettes never wave back. Perhaps they are afraid if they get too friendly, I'll follow them home.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Zelicious
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I always wave. I get more waves back when I'm driving my C5 than when I'm driving my C6 ZO6......go figure.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GP777
That's cool. In my area, many corvette drivers just drive by without returning the wave. The odd thing here is many other non corvette drivers wave at each other regardless of what they are driving. The later is a southern thing I've seen all my life. The former I haven't figured out.
I agree with that.

Funny, the other day I saw a sweet Vette and I got so excited I waved to him before I realized I was driving my Toyota Sienna instead of the Corvette
Old 04-29-2013, 10:47 PM
DooDooBear1999
Pro

Originally Posted by calvins
Part of it just could be changing times.
Today people are getting them so young that I don't think they have a clue of the history and in most cases, don't care. I could be all wet but the times they are a changin'
You can thank my ****** generation for becoming so impersonal.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:49 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DooDooBear1999
You can thank my ****** generation for becoming so impersonal.
Yes but no need to blame yourself. You probably do have a sense of history!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 PM
GP777
Pro

St. Jude Donor '13

[QUOTE=LS2NSUV;1583772341]Deductive reasoning concludes that the other Corvette drivers are more than likely from out of town. [/

Your likely correct in some cases, however I know of at least two vettes I see often, neither of which wave. I think many vette drivers have no clue about the wave and simply drive a vette because they can. They have no interest in the history of the car or the camaraderie older generations of vette owners enjoy.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 PM
DooDooBear1999
Pro

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
Yes but no need to blame yourself. You probably do have a sense of history!

My dad had a '69 that he sold before I was born, but he gave me an appreciation for the history behind the car long before I bought mine and the customs and courtesies that go along with being a Corvette owner. So I wave whenever I pass another. I've noticed that the ones who wave are typically the older guys, at least 40 years old. The younger people, with the exception of a very few, always look like they can't be bothered to lift their damn hand 3 inches in the air. This is somewhat off-topic but to comment on the steaming pile of turds that make up a large portion of the current 20-somethings that I am a part of, I blame their lack of a personality on portable technology. Instead of learning how to communicate with people, they stuck their head in a GameBoy or a cell phone.

Last edited by DooDooBear1999; 04-29-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DooDooBear1999
My dad had a '69 that he sold before I was born, but he gave me an appreciation for the history behind the car long before I bought mine and the customs and courtesies that go along with being a Corvette owner. So I wave whenever I pass another. I've noticed that the ones who wave are typically the older guys, at least 40 years old. The younger people, with the exception of a very few, always look like they can't be bothered to lift their damn hand 3 inches in the air. This is somewhat off-topic but to comment on the steaming pile of turds that make up a large portion of the current 20-somethings that I am a part of, I blame their lack of a personality on portable technology. Instead of learning how to communicate with people, they stuck their head in a GameBoy or a cell phone.
Correct you are! Not just a problem in Corvette world but a bigger problem in society. Younger people today, for the most part, can't function interpersonally due to text, etc.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 PM
2redvettez
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I have been practicing and preaching the WAVE since 1980 when I bought my first Vette, a 1970 Rdster. I like to end all threads with SAVE THE WAVE ! It is a little harder to wave with today's larger divided highways ... I don't always expect a wave back, but
I always Wave, at all passing Vettes , regardless of generation. I Feel damm good throwing the Wave. If I get the favor returned, perfect.

I figure those who don't wave, simply don't know the tradition, They'll figure it out soon or later.

So... SAVE THE WAVE !!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nitemaher
those C2's have great lines!
For sure! That's an understatement!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sssmokn
Sorry fellas to much waving going on for me . Between the car and riding my motorcycle it can get old quick . Just me .
Wave with one hand and hold the other on the wheel. All good!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:25 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2redvettez
Well, I have been practicing and preaching the WAVE since 1980 when I bought my first Vette, a 1970 Rdster. I like to end all threads with SAVE THE WAVE ! It is a little harder to wave with today's larger divided highways ... I don't always expect a wave back, but
I always Wave, at all passing Vettes , regardless of generation. I Feel damm good throwing the Wave. If I get the favor returned, perfect.

I figure those who don't wave, simply don't know the tradition, They'll figure it out soon or later.

So... SAVE THE WAVE !!
70 roadster - Sweeeet car! Still have it?

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Wave!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 PM
2redvettez
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I Wish....
Can't tell you how many cars I've owned over the last 35 or so yrs, that I WISH I never
sold. But, would need a Warehouse... Sold the 70 for a 1980 L82 . Actually, The older
Vettes were ok.. But, I prefer the modern platforms. Luxury, Hp, and of course A/C

I have owned seven Vettes since I was 21. Nothing like Wraping your *** in fiberglas
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2redvettez
I Wish....
Can't tell you how many cars I've owned over the last 35 or so yrs, that I WISH I never
sold. But, would need a Warehouse... Sold the 70 for a 1980 L82 . Actually, The older
Vettes were ok.. But, I prefer the modern platforms. Luxury, Hp, and of course A/C

I have owned seven Vettes since I was 21. Nothing like Wraping your *** in fiberglas
Yes, I know the feeling. We had a 65 in the family. Anyway, at least we can enjoy the newer modern rides! Climbing in a classic Vette is surreal but leaves a little to be desired in terms of drivability.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:37 AM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strand rider
I started out waving to others in my first car , an old "MG " that required the "MG' wave. I learned this was a holdover from the days when sports cars were rare, so you waved to each other in passing. Sort of a misery loves company thing, the cars were crude, the drivers involved, whether they liked it or not. I was told the "MG" drivers were the only ones who still waived.
Me too! MGA

Quick Reply: Corvette Wave!