passenger rear view mirror stuck-need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:35 PM
dcandel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oldtimer

Default passenger rear view mirror stuck-need advice

While washing the windows on my car this afternoon, I accidentally hit the passenger rear view mirror with the end of my long handle squeege. The glass is cracked and the mirror assembly is jammed horizontally to one side. I can move it up and down with the adjustment button on the door, but can't move it horizontally.

Any ideas how to get it moving??
Old 05-03-2013, 11:37 AM
dcandel
Pro

Oldtimer

Anybody??
Old 05-03-2013, 12:18 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You may have dislodged one of the positioning pins for the mirror. No big deal if that is the case since you need to remove the mirror insert to replace anyway. Corvette Central sells the mirror insert for about $80. I did that on my drivers side. Everthing is done from the outside, no door panel removal needed. When I removed the old mirror one of the pins came out and I just put it back in. Send me a PM with your phone number and I will walk you through how to replace the mirror insert. It comes with a good instruction sheet but having done it I have a little more input for you. Don't let me forget to remind you to put some lubricant on the pins before you reinstall. I like to use a Silicone grease.

Look on the bright side, you didn't scratch your paint.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dcandel
Anybody??
If its not the pins try and move the mirror manually with your hand a few clicks and see if it will re engage....
Old 05-03-2013, 03:36 PM
dcandel
Pro

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Zr-1Mike00
If its not the pins try and move the mirror manually with your hand a few clicks and see if it will re engage....
That's the first thing I tried and that's how I broke the glass.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:00 PM
dcandel
Pro

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by dadaroo
You may have dislodged one of the positioning pins for the mirror. No big deal if that is the case since you need to remove the mirror insert to replace anyway. Corvette Central sells the mirror insert for about $80. I did that on my drivers side. Everthing is done from the outside, no door panel removal needed. When I removed the old mirror one of the pins came out and I just put it back in. Send me a PM with your phone number and I will walk you through how to replace the mirror insert. It comes with a good instruction sheet but having done it I have a little more input for you. Don't let me forget to remind you to put some lubricant on the pins before you reinstall. I like to use a Silicone grease.

Look on the bright side, you didn't scratch your paint.
PM sent

Get notified of new replies

To passenger rear view mirror stuck-need advice

Quick Reply: passenger rear view mirror stuck-need advice