Sponsored by:

Autocrossers - left leg on speaker grille

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:18 PM
rx4arx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Autocrossers - left leg on speaker grille

First autocross since switching from C4 to C5. Don't know whether it's just me holding on while driving the course but I noticed that my left leg presses pretty hard on the driver side panel and at the speaker grille. Wondering if this will lead to grille getting bent? Anyone have a similar observation? Solution? Some kind of pillow or padding?

'04 Coupe
Old 05-16-2013, 10:22 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I've noted that in "spirited" driving as well . .it seems to pop back out pretty readily . . .
Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 PM
SFL_driver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you running stock seats? These stock seats are horrible. It may have been your body's attempt to keep you in your seat.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:59 PM
rx4arx
Instructor

Yes. Stock seats.
Love the additional room in the cockpit vs the C4. Just a small downside with the C5 seats not really as supportive as the 4's were for running the cones.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:55 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

90-93 seats were wonderful ! if they didn't look so out of place in a c5 i would have a set in my car

as others have said, it's the seats. the best option for the c5 are the recaros from an evo8. you have to do some bracket work but they fit the interior and look correct. this is really the seat the c5 should have came with, even if it was an option.

others have used corbeau a4's. personally i hate corbeau. quality just sucks and the lumbar isn't shaped correctly for your spine

as for race seats the extremely comfy recaro pole position will fit. but.. it's a fixed back race seat
Old 05-17-2013, 07:07 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 325 Posts

To reduce sliding around in the stock seat, put your seat belt on, pull the lap belt all the way out of the extender, then let it retract. This will cause the lap belt to lock which will hold you in your seat. The seat belt will return to normal operation when you take the seat belt off.

Most seat belts work this way. One of the reasons they do this is so you can properly secure child seats. (Obviously you don't secure child seats in the driver's position but the locking mechanisms are the same.)
Old 05-17-2013, 07:18 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happens to me too. A little less when cinched in using the bottom ratcheting mechanism, but it still happens. Angel Pads are supposed to help with that.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 AM
SFL_driver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant wait to get rid of my stock seats. I've been thinking about which seats I want to switch to the last few days.
Options: (I'm definitely forgetting some)
Adjustable back: corbeau A4, Dodge viper seats (mod required to seat belt), neon SRT seats, evo 9 seats, modded seats from vendors such as apsis, Caravaggio seats ($$$).
Fixed back: recaro pole position, sparco evo (I,II).

Corbeau A4
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...and-wow-2.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-a4-seats.html

Viper seat
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-seatbelt.html

Neon SRT seat
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...erior-ect.html

Evo 9 seat
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...or-the-c5.html
Old 05-17-2013, 08:44 AM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
To reduce sliding around in the stock seat, put your seat belt on, pull the lap belt all the way out of the extender, then let it retract. This will cause the lap belt to lock which will hold you in your seat. The seat belt will return to normal operation when you take the seat belt off.
That helped me... still did it, but not as hard.

My leg was getting tired of trying to hold me in place. I don't think I hit the speaker cover, my knee is farther back. But I clearly press hard against that door panel.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:06 AM
rx4arx
Instructor

Thanks for the opinions and links.

I bought the car just before winter set in here last fall. Haven't yet 'found' the appropriate seat adjustment. Maybe I'll try some form of padding, at least initially.

Some of those racing seats look pretty nice. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of opportunities for controlled, spirited driving. Our local Race City was closed and the new tracks are not yet done. If I find myself getting more seat time - might consider race seats in the future.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:30 AM
ktlocklear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are my seats....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...installed.html

I have since added Schroth 6 point harnesses. Awesome combo

Get notified of new replies

To Autocrossers - left leg on speaker grille

Quick Reply: Autocrossers - left leg on speaker grille