Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. I drive to fast and agressive

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 AM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to add this comment. It's a public forum. If you don't like what I have to say, move on.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001yellow/redC5
It's an open forum all replies are welcome. If you don't like the post move on. I needed advice and asked for it. I knew it was a problem that some Corvette or high performance car and bike owners could relate to.
The issue though I don't think a lot of us relate to you. We own high performance cars and some of us have done extensive work but at the same time driving a car like this comes with responsibilities that a lot of us were aware of before we bought the car. I bought my Vette for myself for my 31st birthday and I swear 2 years earlier and this car would be wrapped around a pole. Please be careful out there and respect everyone around you.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:19 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums
The issue though I don't think a lot of us relate to you. We own high performance cars and some of us have done extensive work but at the same time driving a car like this comes with responsibilities that a lot of us were aware of before we bought the car. I bought my Vette for myself for my 31st birthday and I swear 2 years earlier and this car would be wrapped around a pole. Please be careful out there and respect everyone around you.
With great power comes great responsibility...

Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 AM
onlyavette
Pro

The best piece of safety equipment on your car is between your ears. I will be the first to admit that I have been hit in the head with a brick more than once in my life. Fortunately the need has diminished with time.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by onlyavette
The best piece of safety equipment on your car is between your ears. I will be the first to admit that I have been hit in the head with a brick more than once in my life. Fortunately the need has diminished with time.
Same here. I'd be a straight up liar if I said I never raced but the beauty about a Vette is you don't need to race anyone to prove anything. Its a freaking Corvette!!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

As others have said, get involved in some local autocross or road racing track events.

I speak from personal experience, 20 years ago I was a menace on the street. I spent a little time driving around in circles with NASCAR, and suddenly realized how unsafe and boring everything on the street really is........unpredictable drivers, road conditions etc.

I would avoid the drag strip, IMHO, it will only feed your addiction to go fast on the street.

You need to sail your Vette into a corner on the track completely convinced that everything is under control, only to find yourself spinning around out of control and off course, to really understand the limits of what your car can do and how unpredictable fast street driving can be.
If your car has bad under steer, that is a different adventure entirely. Nothing like the feeling of having the steering wheel turned and the car continuing in a straight line while the car plows through the corner off course.

Now picture someone's family in a mini van or a telephone pole or the edge of the canyon, is what you run into instead of just going off course. Perhaps even think about what you would say to the family of someone you killed on the street as a result of your aggressive driving.

End rant, good luck! I hope to see you at the track soon.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
As others have said, get involved in some local autocross or road racing track events.

I speak from personal experience, 20 years ago I was a menace on the street. I spent a little time driving around in circles with NASCAR, and suddenly realized how unsafe and boring everything on the street really is........unpredictable drivers, road conditions etc.

I would avoid the drag strip, IMHO, it will only feed your addiction to go fast on the street.

You need to sail your Vette into a corner on the track completely convinced that everything is under control, only to find yourself spinning around out of control and off course, to really understand the limits of what your car can do and how unpredictable fast street driving can be.
If your car has bad under steer, that is a different adventure entirely. Nothing like the feeling of having the steering wheel turned and the car continuing in a straight line while the car plows through the corner off course.

Now picture someone's family in a mini van or a telephone pole or the edge of the canyon, is what you run into instead of just going off course. Perhaps even think about what you would say to the family of someone you killed on the street as a result of your aggressive driving.

End rant, good luck! I hope to see you at the track soon.
Great advice right here.

Plus at the track... you have a Vette so you'll be smashing people!!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:55 AM
v03z06
Pro

Get in to an accident and kill an innocent person. That should help your immaturity.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by v03z06
Get in to an accident and kill an innocent person. That should help your immaturity.
He's got no marbles.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 AM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by maroman88
these are the posts i hope people dont find when searching

Sell it and buy a prius......but seriiously,i know it can be a temptation to get on it and a good spirited drive every now and then does wonders. Just use restraint.and do so safely.

Last edited by hdkeno; 05-22-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

As lame as this thread is, I actually have found something that could help you...it helps me keep at or near the speed limit when not paying attention, which can happen with ANY car you are driving. This is it:

I bought a $90 Magellan GPS unit at Costco because it has traffic info built in. Once hooked up I realized it tells you the speed limit wherever you are!..a fabulous feature when you consider there are not enough speed limit signs installed on most roads. The neat part is you can set a 'warning' at let's say 5 over, or whatever, then the unit will tell you by voice that you are exceeding your limit....really cool feature. I have it set for 5 over for local streets and 10 over for highway. I am always surprised at how often I just drift over speed.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

If you pass more than 5 people rapidly, slow down.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:06 PM
ChromeC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I am surprised by the number of negative responses on here. A member is asking for help and advise to not do something they know is dangerous and all some people can come up with is "grow up", or stop trying to compensate, or get some tickets!? Seriously? I think the OP has "grown up" a lot by coming on here and asking for advise on what works to slow down and be a safer driver.

Owning a lower hp car has nothing to do with driving safely or slowing down. Every vehicle will be able to exceed the posted speed limit somewhere, be it on the highway, in the city or school zone. Last time I checked, it wasn't just V-8 vehicles getting into high speed accidents. I am surprised people haven't recommended for the OP to buy a mountain bike.

For the people suggesting HPDE, awesome. That is probably the best thing to do if you want to drive fast and do it safely. You can also try finding an autocross event or join a group that puts on such events.

I just want to say that it is great that you recognize you shouldn't be driving so quickly on the street and that you want to do something BEFORE you cause something you could regret.

This thread could easily be this one: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...5-wrecked.html
So I am glad someone is asking us how not to be another statistic.

Last edited by ChromeC5; 05-22-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 PM
v03z06
Pro

Originally Posted by ChromeC5
I am surprised by the number of negative responses on here. A member is asking for help and advise to not do something they know is dangerous and all some people can come up with is "grow up", or stop trying to compensate, or get some tickets!? Seriously? I think the OP has "grown up" a lot by coming on here and asking for advise on what works to slow down and be a safer driver.
Really? Someone who has "grown up" should not be posting on an internet forum about how he cannot slow down and control his right foot when driving a car. What can we tell a person other than the typical "slow down" or "go to the track". This is almost more for attention than actual resolution. ANY car can get to a fast and/or dangerous speed, its not just a Corvette.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

What speed is really considered "dangerous"?

If speed limits were actually a scientifically evaluated reflection of safety, then we haven't gotten anywhere with technology since 1930.

Any properly maintained passenger vehicle built since 1970 is more stable at 120 than a tractor trailer at 60, but for some reason we share roads with them and have to go the same speed!?!?!

Speed limits are there for revenue to the state and insurance companies. It is complete rubbish. If you want the roads to be safe, make it so that retards can't get a license like they do in Europe.

If you ask me, the op is most likely concerned with speeding tickets. Get a radar detector.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by v03z06
Really? Someone who has "grown up" should not be posting on an internet forum about how he cannot slow down and control his right foot when driving a car. What can we tell a person other than the typical "slow down" or "go to the track". This is almost more for attention than actual resolution. ANY car can get to a fast and/or dangerous speed, its not just a Corvette.
Exactly. People forget they are adults on forums.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Same here. I'd be a straight up liar if I said I never raced but the beauty about a Vette is you don't need to race anyone to prove anything. Its a freaking Corvette!!!!

....... ...........

My woman says that all of the time when I get frustrated or cut in and out of traffic....."relax honey, your in a Corvette"

I am thinking not many here can say they have not driven "agressive" but if you find you do it everytime you are in your Vette...ask yourself why? What do you think when you see jerks driving like that? Yes that is what you look like to everyone else! If your in a hurry the leave earlier. Put a punching bag in the garage so you can get the agression out before you get in the car...

Get notified of new replies

To Help. I drive to fast and agressive

Old 05-22-2013, 02:00 PM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2001yellow/redC5
I have owned 3 daily driver Corvettes over the years. All were modded. Never wrecked or caused a wreck. I find it is too easy to go faster, around slower, or lane change quicker than 99% of the cars out on the road. I try too relax and drive with traffic, play music, etc... Need some advice on avoiding the urge to drive fast and aggressive.
The fact that you state you have a problem like this but lack the common sense to to fix it and have to ask other adults what to do about it speaks miles

BYE BYE
Steve
Old 05-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Johnz02Z06
....... ...........

My woman says that all of the time when I get frustrated or cut in and out of traffic....."relax honey, your in a Corvette"

I am thinking not many here can say they have not driven "agressive" but if you find you do it everytime you are in your Vette...ask yourself why? What do you think when you see jerks driving like that? Yes that is what you look like to everyone else! If your in a hurry the leave earlier. Put a punching bag in the garage so you can get the agression out before you get in the car...
I think we all love a spirited drive, but being spirited and being a jerk are different

Yes we have Corvettes sometimes its cool to be slow so people can get a nice good look.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:39 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's a great link.....Leadfoot!

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/drp.htm

Quick Reply: Help. I drive to fast and agressive