Sponsored by:

MCM Hood trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:54 PM
mikeyrko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MCM Hood trouble

I recently Purchased a car with the MCM carbon fiber hood.
The problem is the frame inside the hood is pulling away from the carbon fiber shell.
Can anyone recommend a very strong glue or something to fix this.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:58 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

....mine has been on since 2005 and no issues....wonder what caused this

Last edited by pewter99; 05-26-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: no longer relevant
The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by mikeyrko
The problem is the frame inside the hood is pulling away from the carbon fiber shell.
How do you know its a genuine MCM hood? after MCM company closed do to health issues there were many clones out there. but without the quality found in the special Vacuum formed process which permanently bonds both components into one seamless product.
the reason I ask is because I was personal friends with the owner and know the history and design and process.. and IN 10 years I've never heard of one single person with a genuine MCM hood experiencing this problem. My car originally appeared on the MCM website and my car has 90,000 miles on it and my hood i9s as perfect as the day I bought it... to answer your question you need to know if , in fact it is a genuine MCM hood... a receipt or some confirmation that's it is a vacuum processed hood. otherwise you can go to any body shop. they make a bullet proof professional two part bonding agent epoxy that would work, Any body shop knows this.. they use this product on metal and fiberglass, its used in a lot of applications that were formerly welded with metal products but works equally as well on non ferrous and aluminum applications.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:05 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

^^^^^ as I said I have never heard of this issue....perhaps we need pics of said hood
Yello95 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-25-2013, 09:39 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Show the hood.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:59 PM
mikeyrko
Racer

I will have to get the pictures of the problem tomorrow in the daylight.
I'm pretty sure it's the real deal, I traced the car back to the original owner 0Navy Blue here is a post he did on the car.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-rear-end.html

Last edited by mikeyrko; 05-25-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:07 PM
mikeyrko
Racer

This is very hard to see I will post better pics tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Im going to post my MCM hood to see if we can see any differences.
they should not have happen with a vacuum molded hood. the vacuum process makes everything one piece by sucking out any air and forming both sections into one .. much like repairing a stone hit to a windshield where the air is sucked out of the damage and epoxy fills in and leaves no voids.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Your hood is not a genuine MCM hood...
if you look at the horizontal cross bar on my hood ( very important ) A genuine MCM hood has this cross bar design to break away ( break in half ) in the event of a front end collision.. it is DOT approved because of this break away feature.. your hood does not have this cross bar.
If you notice your hood has a deep U shaped cross bar. Mike Mickoz the owner and designer of MCM company never changed this design.
Yello95 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-25-2013, 10:36 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
if you look at the horizontal cross bar on my hood ( very important ) A genuine MCM hood has this cross bar design to break away ( break in half ) in the event of a front end collision.. it is DOT approved because of this break away feature.. your hood does not have this cross bar.
If you notice your hood has a deep U shaped cross bar. Mike Mickoz the owner and designer of MCM company never changed this design.
After looking at both pics I agree not genuine. Sorry , Mr. Evil- Twin has spoken. He is rarely wrong .
Yello95 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 PM
mikeyrko
Racer

Oh ok never would have guessed that.
Well I guess I will take it by a body shop one day and see what they can do.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

BTW I take no pleasure in telling you this about your hood.. But this doesn't mean that you cant fix your hood.. there are some very good clones out there that do not use the vacuum form process which is good for your situation .. meaning that because your hood is not vacuum formed.. you can get a body shop to wedge open the inner from the outer without fear of the hood cracking. they can then apply the two part automotive epoxy and clamp it closed and you should be good...after some finish work.
I don't suggest they completely separate the inner from the outer but enough to get the epoxy in there.

FYI MCM was only able to build 6 hood a week so there are less than 2000 genuine hoods out there for a C5. right before the co owner of MCM died they were In the process of moving and build a second C5mold.. they also made a High rise mold but only produced that hood for two years and they made a C6 hood before closing shop, when Mike Mikoz also took sick. Mike sold the molds to Ecklars with e promise not to sell them as genuine MCM hoods. I think West Coast may have got one of the molds too. But Ecklars and West cost never used the vacuum form process ( too expensive and time consuming.)

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-25-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Yello95 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-25-2013, 10:57 PM
mikeyrko
Racer

BTW I take no pleasure in telling you this about your hood.. But this doesn't mean that you cant fix your hood.. there are some very good clones out there that do not use the vacuum form process which is good for your situation .. meaning that because your hood is not vacuum formed.. you can get a body shop to wedge open the inner from the outer without fear of the hood cracking. they can then apply the two part automotive epoxy and clamp it closed and you should be good...after some finish work.
I don't suggest they completely separate the inner from the outer but enough to get the epoxy in there.

FYI MCM was only able to build 6 hood a week so there are less than 2000 genuine hoods out there for a C5. right before the co owner of MCM died they were In the process of moving and build a second C5mold.. they also made a High rise mold but only produced that hood for two years and they made a C6 hood before closing shop, when Mike Mikoz also took sick. Mike sold the molds to Ecklars with e promise not to sell them as genuine MCM hoods. I think West Coast may have got one of the molds too. But Ecklars and West cost never used the vacuum form process ( too expensive and time consuming.)
It's fine I have a lot of respect for mcm from everything I've heard about them.
I got a great deal on this car and this is not going to break my heart or anything.

Did MCM ever go back in business?
Old 05-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

It's fine I have a lot of respect for mcm from everything I've heard about them.
I got a great deal on this car and this is not going to break my heart or anything.

Did MCM ever go back in business?
People say they did, but I don't see any evidence of it... if you go to their website you will see the last entry was 2004 and also my car together with some others. people claim they are back in business under new ownership, but all the molds and process and proprietary information is long gone.. I believe some one bought the name, but Mike owns the website url. And mike is no longer with us.

the website has been disabled.. so I guess Mike's wife took down the site.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-25-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Yello95 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2013, 12:34 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Well if it'd not an original it's a really good copy. Wonder if that is one of those hoods people were saying they were getting from MCM after the original owners stopped making them?
Old 05-26-2013, 03:59 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Thank you for filling some missing info about MCM. I have a real
hood ordered directly from them. At the time I thought they were
expensive compared to other hoods but I appreciated the workmanship that went in to the hood. As the years have gone by many many
people have acknowleged what a fine hood I have. So it goes to
show you my hood was not expensive at all it was a good deal and
still looks brand new.
Yello95 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Big Duk
Pro

Panel adhesive

Get notified of new replies

To MCM Hood trouble

Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 PM
winnipeg
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Panel adhesive, I had similar problem and used "Evercoat Maxim 815 or 816". Has been holding my hood together for two years now no more issues. I believe 3M also make an excellent Panel Adhesive. Got mine at Body Shop supply warehouse.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 AM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

The hoods that Evil-Twin posted are the earlier MCM hoods with the narrow bubble resembling the OEM hood lines.

Mike of MCM however had worked on a Supercharger version and I received the first one off the line.

The difference in in the low rise and the high rise (Supercharger) version was that he added a little more height in the nose and broadened the bubble so that it did not look like it rose up with the abrupt demarcation seen in so many other high rise hoods. It was even rather camouflaged by his ingenious design.

So if you are going make a comparison you can see yours again compared to the real thing. StuzVette was indeed the hood in their advertising. I took the pictures!

You can really see the broad bubble here:
(This may be the best way to prove from the look underneath along with the broad bubble design whether yours is original MCM)

Yello95 (05-26-2021)
Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 AM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by StuzVette
The hoods that Evil-Twin posted are the earlier MCM hoods with the narrow bubble resembling the OEM hood lines.

Mike of MCM however had worked on a Supercharger version and I received the first one off the line.

The difference in in the low rise and the high rise (Supercharger) version was that he added a little more height in the nose and broadened the bubble so that it did not look like it rose up with the abrupt demarcation seen in so many other high rise hoods. It was even rather camouflaged by his ingenious design.

So if you are going make a comparison you can see yours again compared to the real thing. StuzVette was indeed the hood in their advertising. I took the pictures!

You can really see the broad bubble here:
(This may be the best way to prove from the look underneath along with the broad bubble design whether yours is original MCM)

Sweet looking car.

Quick Reply: MCM Hood trouble