1999 Corvette Error Codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:05 PM
25Anni
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Corvette Error Codes

Hello Yall,
After replacing the Transmission Shift Cable a week ago, The "Check Engine" light came on. The wife drove the Vette to work last Tuesday with no issues, it was the next day coming back from work when the "Check Engine" light came on. I checked the error codes and found six of them as follows:

10-PCM - Powertrain Control Module, One code:
P0137 H C (Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2 )

28-TCS - Traction Control System, One Code:
C1255 H (EBTCM Internal Malfunction)

B0-RFA - Remote Function Actuation, Four Codes:
U1016 H (Loss of Communication with PCM)
U1064 H (Loss of Communication with BCM)
U1096 H (Loss of Communication with IPC)
C2100 H (Left Front TPM Sensor Malfunction)

Where do I go from here?

Thanks a lot for your help
Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 PM
R2R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one that will throw a yellow light is the Oxygen Sensor code. And note, that is the one that is current (C).

You can try to reset it and see if it returns, perhaps try some other brand of Top Premium fuel, but chances are you'll end up replacing that sensor. The risk you have is to the Catalytic Convertor getting unburnt fuel and subsequently failing at a high cost.

Nothing to do with the shift linkage - just coincidental.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 AM
25Anni
Advanced

Thanks a lot R2R, I'll replace the sensor...Where is this sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 2 ) located and how hard is it to replace?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:56 AM
R2R
Racer

A good place to start is go into an auto parts store (Advance, AutoZone) and have them pull the sensor up on their screen and it will show the location and you'll get to see what the part looks like.

Basic look is a small stainless cylinder about an inch in diameter and maybe 3 inches long with electrical wires attached to a plug in clip on the other end. The sensor screws into the exhaust somewhere. You might even be able to google for a photo where someones posted while replacing theirs.

Found this with a quick look: http://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfor...locations.html

Take a good look and I'm sure you'll find more details than this - but did say drivers side / rear.

Last edited by R2R; 06-03-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 AM
25Anni
Advanced

Thanks again R2R. One question: When I took the EXH pipes down last weekend while replacing the transmission Shift cable, I noticed there was a crack in the EXH pipes at the cross beam that connected the two pipes together near the rear of the Vette. Could this cracked pipe cause this error code? The crack is about 1.5 - 2" long
Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM
R2R
Racer

Nope. O2 sensors are on engine and just after Cat, so anything broken after the last sensor would not be picked up by the sensor.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:33 AM
25Anni
Advanced

I bought the sensor, jacked up the Vette and managed to break two wrenches so far. I have to say this: The Chevy engineer who designed this system was totally clueless about the simplest of engineering concepts: User Friendliness!!! These jackasses who design these hellish systems must be forced to work on them before Chevy decides to push the model to production. I wasted 3 hours of my time tonight for an absolute ZERO results. It seems to me that in order to remove the sensor I will have to take the Exhaust pipes off the Vette...What a ridicules design. If Chevy is going to use parts that are doomed to fail, they at last should make it easy for us working stiffs to replace them...Not all of us can afford to drop a few hundred dollars every time something simple has to be repaired, a job like this should not take longer than 30 minutes and that includes jacking up the Vette . From the engineer who designed it, the quality manager who approved it, and the project manager who signed off on it...They all should be fired and banned from automotive design. I am an engineer, and this totally angers me from the engineering point of view!
FYI: The special sensor socket was worthless because there was not room to slide it over the sensor, and even if I could, there would not have been room to put a ratchet on it!
Unless someone has a better idea, I will be dropping the exhaust pipes tomorrow to gain access to that damn sensor!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 AM
R2R
Racer

What little reading I did on the O2 removal after you posted indicated removal is bad due to the little working room - that plus the O2 threads are often seized into position. But, I wholeheartedly agree about the engineering and quality portion of the design. (You're an Engineer and I'm a Quality Director!)
Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 AM
25Anni
Advanced

OK, I was able to remove that stubern Sensor, I used a Flex-Head wrench along with an extenstion pipe and every lubricant I could get my hands on. It took 2 minutes after that to install the new sensor. The wife drove the Vette to work with no issues, but on her way from work (30 miles) the check engine light came on again. I checked the error codes again and I had the same damn code:
10-PCM.....P0137 H C
28-TCS....C1255 H

I cleared the codes again this morning and unplugged the battery for 30 minutes. The wive drove the Vette to work, then called me to tell me that the "Check Engine" light came back again five minutes before she got to work...What am I missing?

Last edited by 25Anni; 06-07-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM
R2R
Racer

I think you should check the old O2 sensor - look up online how to use a volt / ohm meter to see if it's good or not.

If it's good then you didn't need the new sensor - you may have to consider the cat is plugged.

Now what to do if the old one is bad? I would search a lot to see if you can determine next steps.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:07 PM
25Anni
Advanced

Thanks a lot R2R, I will do so and report back tomorrow
Old 06-10-2013, 03:07 PM
25Anni
Advanced

Final Update: Issue is resolved...Somehow after I replaced the Transmission Shifter cable, I managed to miss one of the three bolts that bolts the exhaust pipe to the exhaust. manifold. I guess 6 hours of laying on hard concrete under the Vette would do that to you. There were also a couple of exhaust leaks downstream to the cat.

Thanks a gain for your help
Old 06-10-2013, 05:47 PM
R2R
Racer

I was going to suggest an exhaust leak - which fools the O2 sensor into thinking you are running lean. Glad you found it - hold onto the extra sensor (in a dry place) for future use.

Get notified of new replies

To 1999 Corvette Error Codes

Quick Reply: 1999 Corvette Error Codes