Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe ignition on wire to use for a relay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:52 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe ignition on wire to use for a relay?

So i'm adding bluetooth to my 2000 c5 via an aux (I previously spliced an aux input in via my changer wires). The unit has a button with two wires coming from it. 1 to the Aux and the other to the Cig lighter. Problem is with the "constant hot" configuration that chevy uses in the vettes the bluetooth won't cut off when I turn off the car and my phone stays connected when I go in the house lol.

What i'd like to do is wire the cig. lighter into the NC circuit of a relay and run the 86 wire from a source that switches on with the ignition. Initially I thought I'd like to do this via the radio power wire since that will allow the bluetooth to continue until I open the door with the radio. However i've read recently that the bose system can be kinda picky about having the common attatched to a ground in anyway.

Anyone have any input on this or can suggest a different wire to use? Perhaps splice into the power wire for the changer? Any other suggestions?

thanks

Last edited by rielcrazy; 06-12-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Tuscany
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the 2000 have the accessory power connector. If so, you can find both switched and unswitched power, plus ground, of course.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Accessory power connector?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Tuscany
Racer

It's in the passenger foot well, near the upper left, above the BCM. In the linked picture, the accessory connector is the one with the black, orange, and yellow wires. There's the connector socket and a plug, and the plug has the three wires coming out, about 6-8 inches long, and going nowhere in particular, just folded up. I forget which is switched and unswitched between yellow and orange, though.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

try posting on the audio forum where the experts lurk...
Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tuscany
It's in the passenger foot well, near the upper left, above the BCM. In the linked picture, the accessory connector is the one with the black, orange, and yellow wires. There's the connector socket and a plug, and the plug has the three wires coming out, about 6-8 inches long, and going nowhere in particular, just folded up. I forget which is switched and unswitched between yellow and orange, though.
Sorry didn't realize you had a link in your earlier post. Ill take a look and ill try posting in audio if no luck. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Tuscany
Racer

Originally Posted by rielcrazy
Sorry didn't realize you had a link in your earlier post. Ill take a look and ill try posting in audio if no luck. Thanks!
No problem. If you think I can be of assistance, feel free to PM me, too.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 PM
chipscvettec5
Racer

Double D Mods Home page has an installation link for H/U install. I believe the picture indicates running an extension to the pass foot well and attached to the loose yellow wire however, please confirm via his site. It's pretty easy./

Get notified of new replies

To Safe ignition on wire to use for a relay?

Quick Reply: Safe ignition on wire to use for a relay?