Default removing clear bra

Hi guys,
Has anyone removed a clear bra? Any tips / advice would be much appreciated

Looking to take it off the C-5
Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 PM
TintingKC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the 50 dollar Wagner wallpaper steamer from the hardware store and warm it up as your peeling slowly. If glue is left behind follow up with some goo gone and a good polish.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,276 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I had to remove the 3M clear bra on the front fascia of my car. Warming it up and then pulling at about a 45* angle worked, but it was still a lot of work. There was plenty of adhesive left on the car and that did not come off as easy as I hoped. Goo Gone did help, as did some WD-40. Best of luck getting it off your car.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a heat gun (a hair dryer will work) and slowly peeled it off. Wish I had done that before as I just peeled it off parts with no heat and there is still a lot of glue left on the car. Have tried goo but it works veeeery slow and I ran out of patience so will take it to a detail shop to complete the removal--- unless someone has a super idea!!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM
VetteBoy1979
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 3-4-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09-'12

First step is to leave it in the sun for a few hours to warm it up. That will require less use of a heat gun. As mentioned before slowly pull it off at a 45 degree angle, but pull it toward you instead of back. This will still pull the film off, but also put less stress on the panels. Any remaining adhesive you can keep heating it up and working off with a microfiber (just don't get too close to the paint or hold the heat too long or you risk damaging the paint with a heat gun). Any idea how long the film has been on the car?
Old 06-15-2013, 03:26 PM
sonnystingray
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default bra

Originally Posted by VetteBoy1979
First step is to leave it in the sun for a few hours to warm it up. That will require less use of a heat gun. As mentioned before slowly pull it off at a 45 degree angle, but pull it toward you instead of back. This will still pull the film off, but also put less stress on the panels. Any remaining adhesive you can keep heating it up and working off with a microfiber (just don't get too close to the paint or hold the heat too long or you risk damaging the paint with a heat gun). Any idea how long the film has been on the car?
I think the original owner had it put on in 2003.Im going to give it a go this week.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:28 PM
sonnystingray
Racer

Default bra

Thanks for the tips guys. Im hoping to get to this this week.

Some jobs you just don't look forward to..........
Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The film just needs to be heated up. If its hot outside that is sufficient. Park it in the sun. heat guns are really only needed in the winter months. One of the things I test films for when installing is how easy they are to remove. For whatever reason they could have to be removed on occasion so we like to use a film that will not leave adhesive behind on the car. 3M is BY FAR the worst at leaving adhesive behind... and Suntek leaves no adhesive behind.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 PM
sonnystingray
Racer

Default bra

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. Golf and work got it the way this week , but its on my list for this week
Old 06-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

If I could get her into a clear bra, I would not need to remove it!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteBoy1979
I agree. I didn't use anything BUT the sun and mine came off fine. I didn't even have to use much goo-gone when I was done.

Get notified of new replies

To removing clear bra

Quick Reply: removing clear bra