Sponsored by:

Marred/scratched inside of passenger window

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 AM
psuvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Marred/scratched inside of passenger window

I removed the 'Next generation airbag' sticker and rubbed at the leftover adhesive on the glass with a scotch-brite type of pad, and it left some very light scratches or marring on the glass.

They're VERY light, but nonetheless annoying. Would a glass polishing kit get rid of them or does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

I can't answer your glass question. Someone will probably know. But in the future, for removing anything like that - Goo Gone is what you want.
Amazon.com: Homax 8 Oz Goo Gone  GG12: Home & Kitchen Amazon.com: Homax 8 Oz Goo Gone GG12: Home & Kitchen
Old 06-14-2013, 10:37 AM
TintingKC
Instructor

If you can feel them with your fingernail they are permanent. Glass polish can knock down the hard edges and minimize them to a degree.

Next time use a little soapy water and new razor blade.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:10 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Glass polishes are for windshields because the glass is softer , but the side and rear glass is tempered and would be too hard to polish out marks. Might minimize them some but not completely. As Calvins said , next time use Goo Gone. One question on this forum could have prevented the problem.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 AM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep .. Goo Gone is great stuff ! I use to remove the adhesive when changing out my license plate renewal sticker on my windshield every year.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:50 PM
psuvette
Instructor

I cannot feel them. They are *extremely* light scratches. I might try the glass polish. Is there any chance at all that this *might* work:

Amazon.com: Glass Polishing Kit (Light Scratches) 2'' 50mm: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Glass Polishing Kit (Light Scratches) 2'' 50mm: Home Improvement
Old 06-14-2013, 01:23 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Any glass can be polished. By hand will take longer than using a drill and a really small pad. Also, a light application of a pure wax might hide them. Also might try using paint scratch "remover". Would last a long time since the scratches are on the inside.

You can try using soft toothpaste also. I have used some with a QTip to remove watch crystal scratches with great success.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:28 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

Take your car to a local glass repair shop and ask if they have anything to take care of it.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:41 PM
psuvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Any glass can be polished. By hand will take longer than using a drill and a really small pad. Also, a light application of a pure wax might hide them. Also might try using paint scratch "remover". Would last a long time since the scratches are on the inside.

You can try using soft toothpaste also. I have used some with a QTip to remove watch crystal scratches with great success.
Thank you for the ideas. Do you think that a glass polishing kit might be overkill?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by calvins
Take your car to a local glass repair shop and ask if they have anything to take care of it.
That's what I would do - could prevent more damage by you doing it yourself.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:40 PM
obnoxus
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

scotch bright its scratched permenantly ( ask me how I know )

ALWAYS use steel wool on glass
Old 06-15-2013, 07:00 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by psuvette
Thank you for the ideas. Do you think that a glass polishing kit might be overkill?
I looked at the kit you referenced. While the polish may be good, I think the pad is way too big for your location. I would go to your local hardware store/Harbour Freight and get a much smaller pad. Does not have to be flat either, could be a rounded end design also. I have used small rounded ones for detail paint polishing is tight areas. With a small pad try using soft toothpaste first. Just make sure you wet the pad with water to help the process. You don't need a high drill speed.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:54 AM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you end up needing to replace the glass, I have a window that came in replacement door that got mounted a few years ago....The inside of the glass had a 'tint film' applied. I left it on to protect the surface. Its been in my storage just waiting for someone to buy it... Shipping could be tricky, but a good crate will make it possible.
Jennifer
Old 06-16-2013, 02:01 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by psuvette
I cannot feel them. They are *extremely* light scratches. I might try the glass polish. Is there any chance at all that this *might* work:

Amazon.com: Glass Polishing Kit (Light Scratches) 2'' 50mm: Home Improvement
If you don't have the experience and use a glass buffer you will overheat the glass and it will break and if it is buffed uneven it will distort the glass. If it is possible to buff it out a professional glass shop will tell you and it would then be worth having them do it. Sometimes they surprise you about how cheap the job is . Why take the chance ?
Old 06-16-2013, 02:04 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dadaroo

Watch crystals are soft material , side auto glass is always tempered.

Get notified of new replies

To Marred/scratched inside of passenger window

Quick Reply: Marred/scratched inside of passenger window