Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
john8642
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to get the lines with banjo bolts or the straight connections. I've seen both styles, and wonder if one is better than the other.
Thanks.
john8642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
MSG C5
CF Senior Member

I would also like to know what to look for when comparing the various vendors and manufacturers. Best quality? Best bang for the buck? etc.
MSG C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
jornahow
CF Senior Member

I've used both kinds in the past. I went with straight fittings from DRM; he provides an explanation for preferring straight over banjos on his site, but I doubt you will have a problem with either style from a quality source:

http://dougrippie.com/featured/drm-s...l-brake-lines/
jornahow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
eldudereno
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john8642 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to get the lines with banjo bolts or the straight connections. I've seen both styles, and wonder if one is better than the other.
Thanks.
I fitted some stainless braided lines with the round banjo fitting today. The lines with the rectangular block fitting, like the originals, will be a bit stronger but the after market lines with the round banjo were just as easy to fit with no rotation at all of the fitting when tightening the banjo bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG C5 View Post

I would also like to know what to look for when comparing the various vendors and manufacturers. Best quality? Best bang for the buck? etc.
Most will be described as stainless braided lines but that usually only refers to the braiding and not the fittings. The best lines also have stainless fittings where as the cheaper ones will be plated carbon steel. Out of the plated carbon steel fittings the ones with a yellow/gold appearance have better corrosion resistance than the ones with a silver finish.

Better quality lines also have a pvc sheath, clear or colored, covering the stainless braiding, giving extra protection.
eldudereno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
olbear1962
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jornahow View Post
I've used both kinds in the past. I went with straight fittings from DRM; he provides an explanation for preferring straight over banjos on his site, but I doubt you will have a problem with either style from a quality source:

http://dougrippie.com/featured/drm-s...l-brake-lines/
Am another DRM fan!!
Banjo fittings are fine, rather the JIC straight fittings for me
olbear1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
MSG C5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldudereno View Post
I fitted some stainless braided lines with the round banjo fitting today. The lines with the rectangular block fitting, like the originals, will be a bit stronger but the after market lines with the round banjo were just as easy to fit with no rotation at all of the fitting when tightening the banjo bolt.

Most will be described as stainless braided lines but that usually only refers to the braiding and not the fittings. The best lines also have stainless fittings where as the cheaper ones will be plated carbon steel. Out of the plated carbon steel fittings the ones with a yellow/gold appearance have better corrosion resistance than the ones with a silver finish.

Better quality lines also have a pvc sheath, clear or colored, covering the stainless braiding, giving extra protection.
Thanks! Any brand recommendations? I thought I also read an earlier comment on a different thread about the importance of having brass fittings.
MSG C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
john8642
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I ended up ordering the Goodridge G-Stop lines from tire rack. Good brand, lifetime warranty, decent price.

Last edited by john8642; 06-15-2013 at 05:46 PM.
john8642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
olbear1962
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG C5 View Post
Thanks! Any brand recommendations? I thought I also read an earlier comment on a different thread about the importance of having brass fittings.
Search Doug Ripple Motorsports on the web, he has the right fittings, and copper washers, if you want straight fittings.
olbear1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:53 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page Stainless Steel Brake Lines