Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oddity: Z06-style Hatch for Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:59 PM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what the OP is asking is what would it look like if the coupe glass was replaced with the Z06 glass and the flat area of the hatch that's normally open to the cockpit was flat like the trunk of the Z06 just not a seprate trunk (ie; retain the entire hatch area of the coupe). I think some of you with photoshop skills could create this look just for fun. Essentially it would look like the Z06 without the trunk seams and would instead have the perimeter seams of the coupe area.

It would give those who have coupes the option to have the look of the Z06's flatter rear glass in a package that really only required replacing the entire hatch area of the coupe. Zero body rework would be neccesary save for painting. I wouldn't even go so far as to change anything inside the trunk area, just leave it open like the coupe is now.

To the O.P. I've never seen anything like that in all these years. The example shown is not what I would consider what I described here, and I think the ones shown here are rather hideous.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 PM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lurking.....just to see what happens here
Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
body-wise, the only difference between the FRC & Z06 was that the Z added rear brake scoops

[.jpg]
there is a lot more then that my friend!
Old 06-20-2013, 03:07 AM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by momo20
Z has lower weight-thinner windshield too!
Different shocks, sway bars, springs, different gear ratios in the manual 6 speed, different exhaust, no fog lights, wider wheels, non-runflats on car when delivered, brake cooling ducts, differnt seats, different seat mounts, and more.....and more...

Lots of assorted differences!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobot
I have to be honest. I'm completely confused as to what you're asking for.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by PvtJoker21
Well it just sounds silly to me, I bought the coupe because the fastback look is classic and IMO looks much better the the Z06 roof and rear window...

I understand the functionality of the Z06, but the short roof/window and longer rear deck doesn't look proportionally right to me. Along that line, I think the 'vert looks sexy as hell....as long as the roof is down, for the same reason.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

I understand the functionality of the Z06, but the short roof/window and longer rear deck doesn't look proportionally right to me. Along that line, I think the 'vert looks sexy as hell....as long as the roof is down, for the same reason.
Just the opposite feeling here.
Had it not have been for the FRC/Z06 look I would have bought a Viper most likely. The FRC/Z06 just has that bad boy look that I like better.

Toque
Old 06-20-2013, 12:15 PM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by momo20
Really? Body-wise what else different from a frc to a z06 besides brake ducts?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:08 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by FiberglassFan
Z has lower weight-thinner windshield too!
Different shocks, sway bars, springs, different gear ratios in the manual 6 speed, different exhaust, no fog lights, wider wheels, non-runflats on car when delivered, brake cooling ducts, differnt seats, different seat mounts, and more.....and more...

Lots of assorted differences!
and what in that list has to do with body features? i know you can't walk up beside the two & eyeball the difference in glass thickness.

i own an FRC and specifically bought it for what it is - do you honestly think that i believe they are the same car?

Originally Posted by 02z06dave
Really? Body-wise what else different from a frc to a z06 besides brake ducts?
oh, sorry... forgot the Z also came with screens up front, too. (if you count that as body work)
Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Originally Posted by MG RED 99
I think what the OP is asking is what would it look like if the coupe glass was replaced with the Z06 glass and the flat area of the hatch that's normally open to the cockpit was flat like the trunk of the Z06 just not a seprate trunk (ie; retain the entire hatch area of the coupe). I think some of you with photoshop skills could create this look just for fun. Essentially it would look like the Z06 without the trunk seams and would instead have the perimeter seams of the coupe area.

It would give those who have coupes the option to have the look of the Z06's flatter rear glass in a package that really only required replacing the entire hatch area of the coupe. Zero body rework would be neccesary save for painting. I wouldn't even go so far as to change anything inside the trunk area, just leave it open like the coupe is now.
Precisely what I had in mind.

Z06 appearance meets Open Top driving.

(not to mention a lot less air space to have to cool on the rare occasions you engage the A/C)

I think it would be a cool option. If someone had a kit, I can see paying about $1500 for it... but hopefully a bit less.

If I knew square one about working with sheetmetal and fiberglass, I'd buy some wrecked gear off a coupe, get a mold of the Z body pieces and make it work. Alas, this is not where my skill set lies. I only know of one guy off-hand who does really good work with fabricating bodywork.... I think I'll shoot him an e-mail.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Reached out to Jeff Lemke, who I remember from the Street Serpent kits for Gen 3/4 Vipers (( the ONLY Gen 3/4 Vipers I have ever found attractive as hell )), but who you guys probably know more for the Mach 7 Falcon car. If anyone could give advice on how to do this properly, he'd be the man.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Foxracingco74
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thats an opinion

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Might be better to buy a Z06 and then do a targa top conversion on it.

......... What happend to ansering the mans question.. Just becuse you guys this his idia is stupid dosent mean he shouldent do it ... An as a matter of fact i want the same thing ..
Old 04-20-2015, 12:54 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxracingco74
......... What happend to ansering the mans question.. Just becuse you guys this his idia is stupid dosent mean he shouldent do it ... An as a matter of fact i want the same thing ..
I'm guessing he decided against it two years ago when this thread died. For what it's worth, I kinda liked that yellow vette.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 AM
Foxracingco74
8th Gear

Default Lol

I lobe it i want to find that kit .. It has to be available for purchase Becuse wen you google it the same one pops up
Old 04-20-2015, 07:41 AM
Foxracingco74
8th Gear

Default Found it !!!!!!!!

Ok so just found it hear on this site

http://www.corvetteupgrade.com/product/c4-corvette-1984-96-coupe-convertible-hatch-conversion/

Its $599 but i want to do it lol
You have to figure it this way it bolts in like the glass an u can switch back just as ez
Old 04-21-2015, 06:55 AM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
I'm guessing he decided against it two years ago when this thread died. For what it's worth, I kinda liked that yellow vette.

http://www.corvetteupgrade.com/produ...ch-conversion/

You have to figure it this way it bolts in like the glass an u can switch back just as ez
The one you linked is for a C4. The C5 version is $1200

Last edited by 703; 04-21-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:52 AM
Foxracingco74
8th Gear

Default Dam

Originally Posted by 703

The one you linked is for a C4. The C5 version is $1200
Thats nuts ... It would look better on the c5

Get notified of new replies

To Oddity: Z06-style Hatch for Coupe

Old 09-19-2015, 10:44 PM
The Thomas J
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.corvetteupgrade.com/produ...ch-conversion/

I love this look for my C4. Only thing is that it really only looks good when the top is off and the windows on. But I like the idea of closing off the cargo area entirely.

Also, it's now $799. Guess they are popular so they raised the price. I may do this next year.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:37 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

frank
Old 09-20-2015, 01:41 AM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Wow nice thread bump.

I like the way that flying buttress looks. Reminds me of a C3.

Originally Posted by FLHTK103
I've often thought it would be nice to not have a back glass when the roof is off.
The back glass is removable on the early C3s. Always thought that was a cool feature.

Quick Reply: Oddity: Z06-style Hatch for Coupe