Sponsored by:

Seat cover dilemna

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:32 PM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Seat cover dilemna

I recently bought seat covers and foam, not from the same vendor, that is causing me installation problems. Tried to install the new covers overtop the foam (Mid America) but the covers (Auto Custom Leathers)will not stretch enough to fit. The new foam has very little give and after hours of heating, stretching and cursing I gave up. I called the seat cover guy and his first question was where did i buy the foam. After telling him, he said that Mid America makes their covers and foam just bit larger than stock so they won't work. Nice to know that He did say he'd take the covers back but I really prefer keeping them and using the old foam I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with seat foam not fitting the covers. I may end up trying to sell the seat foam, although I trimmed a little off of the driver side bolster. I'll take a huge loss but I'm not buying all new foam and then finding out that doesn't work as well. I guess this is another instance where trying to save a buck bit me in the a**. Should have gone with Vette Essentials
Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM
AUandAG
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought skins from Auto Custom Leathers and foam from Corvette South. I was anticipating that there may be some foam trimming required after viewing the DIY videos at Corvette America. http://www.corvetteamerica.com/video...portScInstall/

Here is the result. Not a professional install but I am pleased.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats a nice fit!!

Originally Posted by AUandAG
I bought skins from Auto Custom Leathers and foam from Corvette South. I was anticipating that there may be some foam trimming required after viewing the DIY videos at Corvette America. http://www.corvetteamerica.com/video...portScInstall/

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-03-2013, 04:40 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought the Mid America Foam and DJ's seatcovers. I took them to a local upholstery shop to be installed, and they came out very good. no pics yet.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:14 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I don't think the issue is with the foam but more with the installer...lol. I had the same issue as you have with seat skins not fitting. Gave up and had a professional upholster install them. Very happy with results. Let the professional deal with it they have no problem trimming the foam to fit the skins. It cost me $300-
Old 07-03-2013, 06:02 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]
Great job!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:29 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by maxx2200
Great job!
Tom!!! Great!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

[IMG][/IMG]
I've been on the fence about what covers and foam to use on my car. This just made up my mind. They look GREAT to me. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Hotrodzz3
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's something you could try....
get a plastic bag that will fit over the foam and put it over the seat back pull it down towards the bottom and pull it all together and fasten it around end of a vacuum hose, turn on the vacuum and it should compress the foam enough that you should be able to slip the cover right on. Once on turn the vac off and pull as much of the plastic bag out as you can get, really wont hurt if it's left in either. Another method is to turn the cover inside out start at the top and roll it back down the foam to install. Sorry I don't have any pictures to show you how but once you start it goes quick and easy. Another tip put the covers in the sun to warm up for a while before you start.
Hope this helps
Bob
Old 07-04-2013, 01:57 PM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]
Looks damn good to me!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

[IMG][/IMG]
How much were the skins if you dont mind me asking...
Old 07-04-2013, 04:18 PM
AUandAG
Pro

Originally Posted by andrec10
How much were the skins if you dont mind me asking...
$320 including the console cover and shipping.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:56 PM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

For both seats! And these were leather! They look awesome for the price!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:05 PM
AUandAG
Pro

Not leather. No wrinkles, no creases, ever. And with perforated inserts, they are no hotter than leather.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Mastertvtech
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

They look incredible and are probably more forgiving as far as wrinkles over leather.

Did you choose that material for durability? The price sure makes it very tempting since a lot of the leather covers look much thinner. I would sacrifice having actual leather for a synthetic if it would hold up.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Before I would do anything else, I would take the seats to a pro and let them have a look at it. Chances are they can get them to fit.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:43 PM
AUandAG
Pro

Originally Posted by Mastertvtech
They look incredible and are probably more forgiving as far as wrinkles over leather.

Did you choose that material for durability? The price sure makes it very tempting since a lot of the leather covers look much thinner. I would sacrifice having actual leather for a synthetic if it would hold up.
Yes. for durability and no wrinkles or creases. From Wikipedia:
"Bonded leather" used for upholstery is a plastic (generally vinyl or polyurethane) material that contains about 17% leather fiber in its backing material. The plastic is stamped to give it a leather-like texture. Bonded leather upholstery is as durable as other plastic materials and its manufacturing process is more environmentally-friendly than leather production.

So most auto leather upholstery is "bonded leather". (Napa leather is the exception) It's the same material on the surface as vinyl upholstery. The difference is the backing material: leather fibers vs man-made materials.

Request leather and vinyl samples from a vendor and you can see the visible surface is the same material.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:59 PM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to see if I can get a local shop to install. I thought about using the old foam but its just too beat up. I'll post pics when I get them installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat cover dilemna

Quick Reply: Seat cover dilemna