Sponsored by:

A/C question on "99" Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:50 PM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C question on "99" Coupe

The wife and I were out for a drive a couple hours ago and I noticed that the a/c air didn't feel very cold coming out of the vents on the drivers side and middle BUT the air coming from the passenger side vents was cold as ice [almost that cold anyway]! My car has duel climate control and had the dial set all the way down to 60 degrees.
Now I gotta tell you that the outside temp is at 95 degrees which is pretty warm even for here on the "banks" so that may be the problem.
Does your air blow colder from the passenger side normally?
Thanks, Dave from the "Smokin hot OBX"
Old 07-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Kevin Kuse
Racer

Default •Programming and Relearning

First I would check to see if there are any fault code stored.

You can try this.

1999 Chevrolet Corvette V8-5.7L VIN G
Vehicle » Heating and Air Conditioning » Testing and Inspection » Programming and Relearning
•Programming and Relearning
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The HVAC Control Assembly receives an actuator position signal from the RH and LH electric actuators. The electric actuator position sensor is a potentiometer that is tied to a 5 volt reference source through CKT 1791 and to ground through CKT 1798, both from the HVAC Control Assembly. The variable output from the potentiometer feeds back a position signal to a pull-up resistor located in the HVAC Control Assembly. This signal is used to determine the necessary drive signal to the electric actuator motor to provide the proper air mix door position. This value is stored in the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) portion of the HVAC Control Assembly.

After replacement of either the LH or RH electric actuator has been completed, reinitialization of the actuators must be performed. Reinitialization can be easily executed by removing the HVAC CON MiniFuse� #27 from the Instrument Panel Electrical Center and then reinstalling the fuse back into its proper position. When the HVAC Control Assembly is first connected to power, the system will perform an initialization routine lasting approximately 60 seconds . During this routine, both RH and LH electric actuators will cycle full travel in both directions learning the end positions. Position feedback readings are sent back to the HVAC Control Assembly and compared to a range of acceptable end readings. If during initialization the position feedback readings are not within the acceptable range, a diagnostic code will be set. If the position feedback readings reach values of 0-5 counts or 250-255 counts, the HVAC Control Assembly will then interpret the reading as a "feedback-short" or "1eedback-open" condition respectively.
NOTE: Feedback-short or feedback-open conditions can occur due to electric actuators being initialized while not being attached to the HVAC module case.

© 2013 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions
Old 07-05-2013, 03:50 PM
jfaxas
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing was happening to me recently and I read a post here on the forum (I wish I could find the OP). It turns out that we have 2 AC reservoirs (may not be the correct terminology) the lower one is for the passenger side and the upper one is for the driver's side.
If your refrigerant is low, then the driver's side doesn't blow cold. I went to O'Reileys, they put a gauge on it and found that I needed a charge. I bought the refill kit for $35, recharged my AC system and it's working great.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Kevin Kuse
Racer

Default Weird A/C problem, I press the A/C button the light blinks a few times then goes off

Is this the one? I found it in your posts!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...c-problem.html
Old 07-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

9 times out of 10 when the drivers side is hotter than the passenger side you're low on freon. The skeptics always say check the actuators, pull fuses, etc. The easiest and first thing to check is your charge. If you it's good THEN it's time to hunt elsewhere. The evaporator cools the drivers side from the top, passenger side from the bottom. If the charge is low the top is warmer.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C question on "99" Coupe

Quick Reply: A/C question on "99" Coupe