Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking C5 to a Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

As others have stated, you need to have someone get the swirls out and get some wax on the car. It doesn't sound like it has been waxed yet.

If your car is just getting a little dusty, a California duster does an amazing job. It takes a few minutes to dust the car after a drive and it isn't very physically laboring. If the car doesn't get wet, the dust comes right off.

I run my Vette through the auto washer with good success as well. I have a Fire House car wash nearby and they don't do damage like you're describing. My car is silver which I'm sure helps hide any swirls and I have the car professionally detailed once a year. My paint is also far from perfect as it has many miles on it but it doesn't look bad either.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I agree with many on here...

Pay someone to claybar and full detail with good quality wax and polish. It makes it so easy to keep the car clean. I do not have to "wash" very often. I blow my car off with my leaf blower to remove most dust then I use a "duster" to remove the rest of the dust. I would not use the duster if the car had been sitting in dirrect sunlight. I am betting some here would never think of using a "duster" but I have been for a few years and have not noticed any damage or marks in the wax.

The pic below is off the internet to show the brush. I have a Torch Red car

Last edited by Johnz02Z06; 07-09-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Lots of good advice here. Tho' automated car washes have improved over the years, they will not do for a demanding owner. Corvettes tires are wide and can have problems with many of the 'drag lines' or what ever they are called. You need to spend the $$$ to get those swirl marks out. However, here in NJ, in most urban areas, there are full HAND car washes. When I worked in one of those towns there were about 4 different ones I would use regularly. They all did good jobs, tho' a couple seemed to use cleaner rags/mops than others. Some dipped their wash mits more frequently. They charged the same or less ($8) than the automated ones out here in suburbia. I would do some searching. You might find one within a reasonable distance, and in my experience, regular customers get treated nicely.
As for brushes, stay away from those 'miracle' ones sold in Costco with the water flowing thru them. They burnish the finish, get flimsy and are annoying to use. I have a couple of 60 year old genuine horse hair brushes that were used by Hertz. They are soft and kind to the finish and work great for cold weather washing, and they don't mess all my hard work!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll try washing it myself first. I did have it waxed once, but I may look for a mobile detail guy to polish the swirls out. There's one mentioned in the SoCal forum that seems to be highly recommended.
Thanks again,
John
Old 07-09-2013, 02:46 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

John, I have a back problem. Tho' different than yours, I can sympathize. There are products than you can use to get good results that you will be happy with. My soft long hadle brushes make washing much easier. Get the EASIEST wax/polish you can find and just relax.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I take mine to a drive-through with hand-dry wash around the corner from work. I've found that the fully automated ones are so over-done that I've had issues with leaks on my 'vert roof afterwards. It's a daily driver so I'm not too fussy about it (outside of expecting a good job for what I pay for).
Old 07-09-2013, 03:07 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
I use a car wash several time a week on my DD white c-5. The black c-5, no friggin' way. I used bottled Evian to rinse it off.

PS some of us do wash our own cars..You might want to attempt that, it ain't rocket surgery.
Nor is it Brain Science
Old 07-09-2013, 03:12 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I take mine to a local car wash, but never run it through the automated wash. I just use the self service bays and it works very well.
I tried the "drive in and sit, touchless type" once and I was soaked by the time it was over. Coupe seals
I'm sure there must be a good detail shop out there. Maybe try asking a trusted local body shop for recommdations on a detailer.
Good luck.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:16 PM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take mine (in the winter) to a brushless car wash. you have to do a little wipe down but its not bad- I have bad knees so I know what you mean about doing your own washing
Old 07-09-2013, 03:18 PM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by maxx2200
I tried the "drive in and sit, touchless type" once and I was soaked by the time it was over. Coupe seals
I'm sure there must be a good detail shop out there. Maybe try asking a trusted local body shop for recommdations on a detailer.
Good luck.
I have to take a towel with me, you learn the spots to put the towel after the first time.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:18 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I use an automated car wash all the time, but not one with brushes. I DO NOT get swirl marks.

Then I take it home and use detail spray on it because no touchless car wash cleans a car thoroughly.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vette.mix
I have to take a towel with me, you learn the spots to put the towel after the first time.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:19 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
I use a car wash several time a week on my DD white c-5. The black c-5, no friggin' way. I used bottled Evian to rinse it off.

PS some of us do wash our own cars..You might want to attempt that, it ain't rocket surgery.
It isn't rocket surgery to learn how to read either !
Old 07-09-2013, 05:03 PM
pete-paz
Instructor

i go to the spray wash and wash it my self. then i use a water blade and some towels to dry it. works fine. i have a herniated and a bulging disc in my back so when i get done i don't even feel like i can drive it but rather then risk the damage to the car i damage my self..haha.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I take mine there when I have to rinse off the engine compartment. Otherwise she gets washed by hand at home.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Ohyoufan
Pro

I've taken my Vette to a touchless car wash one time since owning it and it didn't do any harm or create swirls, I did haul ***** over the undercarriage wash though to avoid getting water in the passenger fender. Since then I've only washed at self serve washes WITHOUT using the scrub brush. When I had my old ws6 I always took it to a touchless wash since it was black and was driven everyday.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Drummingdad
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not having access to my own driveway for weeks on end, I tried out one of the local newer self serve car washes here in Southern MO. I love em. Nothing like this in my little Mayberry of a town back home. Insert credit card and off you go. They have the pre-soak, bug remover, wheel cleaner, tire cleaner, wax and polish. I even found one with a hand held blow dryer. When you're done washing pull through and vacuum everything while the outside drips off a little. Then chamois glass, body and wheels. The place even has an old fashioned ringer and sink for cleaning the chamois when you're done. swiffer the dash and interior panels. Done in less than an hour.
For a driver, this is a little patch of heaven. A more show quaility car may demand something a little more intimate, but this is perfect for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Taking C5 to a Car Wash

Old 07-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Dixiecrat
Pro

The only thing that EVER touches my Vette is clear water and a terry cloth in MY hand.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:18 AM
djmlax89
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I took mine through one of the "touchless" car washes once, because I was running extremely short on time. Turns out the udders were stopped up, and it flooded the wiper motors - took 3 months for them to dry out and start working properly again

And, if your car's weatherstripping has spent 16 years outdoors like mine...
Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Martinh5621
Instructor

I get my car cleaned out, vacuumed, wiped down inside, washed, and waxed for $45. And my C5 is black on black. . At first I was kinda hesitant on the price but a guy does it by hand and the shine of it afterword is amazing.

Drive around and find a detailer or try to find someone to do it by hand, I think that's the best way to go.

Taking it to a car wash your not gonna get all the water spots out and I hate it.

Quick Reply: Taking C5 to a Car Wash