Sponsored by:

mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 289 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by OneCylinder
Federal regulations required that the ZDDP (wear protection components) be reduced by about a third from all non-racing, non diesel oils. The issue is finding a 5-30w with a higher ZDDP content. Our engines were designed to use the old Mobil 1 with the higher ZDDP content. This may be a bigger issue on engines with higher lift and duration cams than stock. Joe Gibbs has a 5-30 designed for such applications and claims to have a higher ZDDP level than other 5-30s.
Now I'm worried,I have a 08/Auto.I had a comp cam,LT's & intake change done 2 yrs ago,I have been using Mobil 1 5-30 since new.My lift is .581/duration .224.What do you suggest besides Joe Gibbs oil.Thanks..
Old 07-25-2013, 05:57 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I just use the Mobil 1 recommended for the car.

Peace
Chip

Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Now I'm worried,I have a 08/Auto.I had a comp cam,LT's & intake change done 2 yrs ago,I have been using Mobil 1 5-30 since new.My lift is .581/duration .224.What do you suggest besides Joe Gibbs oil.Thanks..
If you feel that a 5w30 is important, and are comfortable with Mobil 1 as a brand, I'd consider the Mobil 1 5w30 High Mileage which as 1100 ppm zinc and 1000 ppm phosphorus. As it is branded a "high mileage" oil it can bypass the current API SN limit of 800 ppm phosphorus.

I'm biased, but I think this is a better choice for those looking for a "high" ZDDP oil that doesn't meet current API SN specs:
AMSOIL Z-ROD 10w30 Synthetic Motor Oil (Product Code ZRTQT)
(zinc – 1440 ppm, phosphorus 1320 ppm)

This oil is very similar to the AMSOIL Dominator Racing 10w30 I use in my stock LS6 at the track. They use the same top quality basestock and the viscosity is almost identical. The Dominator has a little
more ZDDP than the Z-ROD but it has no detergents or dispersants needed for daily driving and I change it about every 500 miles or so. The Z-ROD has enough detergents or dispersants for about 3-5k miles (or one year whichever first).

With a 10w30 vice a 5w30, you'd need to be a little more careful with engine warmup. I use 150F as a personal thumbrule - no heavy throttle, no high rpm until my oil is over that temp.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 PM
OneCylinder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks C66 those seem like some good options. I'm no expert, just try to learn what I can. I kinda lost confidence in Joe Gibbs Racing after watching their Toyotas blow up during recent Nascar races.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Daddyrama31
It's all politics my friend. You can use any quality oil in your vette with no problems at all.
Because it doesn't have the heat package that the LSX engine requires. most engines do not run in the 220 f range. I've seen this engine run for 200,000 miles at this temp , but with out the heat package the oil will break down .
The F bodys don't need it because its not a bottom feeder.
For the guys who said all oil is the same, its shame people like that are allowed to post on this forum,, this is a place where people come to get good advice, not some asinine statement from some legends in their own minds

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-25-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 PM
OneCylinder
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Because it doesn't have the heat package that the LSX engine requires. most engines do not run in the 220 f range. I've seen this engine run for 200,000 miles at this temp , but with out the heat package the oil will break down .
The F bodys don't need it because its not a bottom feeder.
For the guys who said all oil is the same, its shame people like that are allowed to post on this forum,, this is a place where people come to get good advice, not some asinine statement from some legends in their own minds
You can't believe everything you read, especially on the internet. Using the wrong oil isn't like using the wrong gas. Wrong oil related ware may take a long time to develop and you won't realize it until you have a catastrophic breakdown. Wrong gas will get you pinging right away.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by OneCylinder
You can't believe everything you read, especially on the internet. Using the wrong oil isn't like using the wrong gas. Wrong oil related ware may take a long time to develop and you won't realize it until you have a catastrophic breakdown. Wrong gas will get you pinging right away.
Where do I sign up for your class on automotive technology.. Especially when it relates to the C5 platform and the LSX Motor. I need an education. Seems like you are someone I should listen too.
Things like thermal breakdown do to sheer and take a 200K engine and reduce its life expectancy to 100 K.
Ping can cause a piston to rupture, or wrist pin related damage or bearing damage, both connecting rod and mains, that's why the right octane and the right oil keep these motors running in the 400K range.. of course what do I know. WE designed this engine to run with these additives because Dave hill wanted the first 200K benchmarked American production engine in his C5. We delivered it on time and within budget. Prior to 1997, all North American engines had a benchmark of 100K.

Bill aka ET
Old 07-26-2013, 01:54 AM
Bullet Proof
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting testing and discussion

http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=1&t=34926
Old 07-26-2013, 02:39 AM
OneCylinder
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Where do I sign up for your class on automotive technology.. Especially when it relates to the C5 platform and the LSX Motor. I need an education. Seems like you are someone I should listen too.
Things like thermal breakdown do to sheer and take a 200K engine and reduce its life expectancy to 100 K.
Ping can cause a piston to rupture, or wrist pin related damage or bearing damage, both connecting rod and mains, that's why the right octane and the right oil keep these motors running in the 400K range.. of course what do I know. WE designed this engine to run with these additives because Dave hill wanted the first 200K benchmarked American production engine in his C5. We delivered it on time and within budget. Prior to 1997, all North American engines had a benchmark of 100K.

Bill aka ET
I think you missed the point. I was agreeing with you. The point is; with the wrong fuel you recognize there is a problem right away and correct the problem. With the wrong oil the damage will happen without any tell-tale sign while the engine is being damage. I was not referring to your post when I stated you can't believe everything you read....... Egads don't be so defensive.

Last edited by OneCylinder; 07-26-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:03 AM
OneCylinder
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Bullet Proof
Thanks for that link.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:11 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I just use the Mobil 1 recommended for the car.
x2
Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Ford recommends that we put BP Amoco in my wife's Ford Escape. It's right on the fuel cap. We only use BP because it's the best gasoline out there.

Quick Reply: mobil 1