Sponsored by:

completely content but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 03:21 PM
ZachHasAVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default completely content but...

i've got a '97 A4 arctic white vette that i've had for a year and i love it, its got around 82,xxx miles and i've added a few upgrades like exhaust and wheels.

to the point, the thread going around about wishing having a manual instead of an A4 got me thinking and i went looking around on autotrader to see what they had. I found a 2001 black z06 with 128,xxx miles listed for $14,900. it would be sweet to upgrade to a z06, but like i said i'm perfectly happy with mine, the only reason i've given this thought is because the price seems low and i might get a good trade for my car and get a good deal?

so my questions for y'all are, are those too many miles, is that a decent price, should i hold out too see if a lower mileage one appears in that price range or am i crazy and just be happy with what i have?

any input would be nice and heres the link to the car:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=6&Log=0
Old 07-21-2013, 03:46 PM
MacTacular
Advanced

just take the money and mod your engine/suspension to have more power than a Z06..

get a tune on your vette and you will be more than happy with what you have...PLUS, the Coupe looks 100000000000x better than than the FRC!!

be happy with what you have! why pay more money for something with double the miles??
Old 07-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

In my opinion I would pass on a car with 130K for 14,900. That does seem some what cheap for a Z, So that leads me to believe is has some issues.
You say you happy with yours and I am thinking you must be missing something to be looking at another car.
If you are truly happy with yours keep it because you know what you have.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:50 PM
SinisterZ06vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZachHasAVette
i've got a '97 A4 arctic white vette that i've had for a year and i love it, its got around 82,xxx miles and i've added a few upgrades like exhaust and wheels.

to the point, the thread going around about wishing having a manual instead of an A4 got me thinking and i went looking around on autotrader to see what they had. I found a 2001 black z06 with 128,xxx miles listed for $14,900. it would be sweet to upgrade to a z06, but like i said i'm perfectly happy with mine, the only reason i've given this thought is because the price seems low and i might get a good trade for my car and get a good deal?

so my questions for y'all are, are those too many miles, is that a decent price, should i hold out too see if a lower mileage one appears in that price range or am i crazy and just be happy with what i have?

any input would be nice and heres the link to the car:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=6&Log=0
I disagree with the post above... you can't match a z06 for a few grand... and if the manual is what you want, go for it! I commute with my z06 and it barely touches 1900 rpm for most the miles, high miles if treated well might be better than a track ***** with 40k miles
Old 07-21-2013, 04:13 PM
ZachHasAVette
Racer

thanks for the input guys, i might send the dealer a message and just see whats up

Originally Posted by MacTacular
get a tune on your vette and you will be more than happy with what you have...PLUS, the Coupe looks 100000000000x better than than the FRC!!
i've been thinking about a tune so i may do that, and true i do like the coupe style along with the targa, but i could get used to the frc if its a z06
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
In my opinion I would pass on a car with 130K for 14,900. That does seem some what cheap for a Z, So that leads me to believe is has some issues.
You say you happy with yours and I am thinking you must be missing something to be looking at another car.
If you are truly happy with yours keep it because you know what you have.
thats what i was thinking as well that because it seems a little cheap there might be something up with it. oh i am happy don't get me wrong, i love my vette, its just a z06 would be cool
Originally Posted by SinisterZ06vette
I disagree with the post above... you can't match a z06 for a few grand... and if the manual is what you want, go for it! I commute with my z06 and it barely touches 1900 rpm for most the miles, high miles if treated well might be better than a track ***** with 40k miles
the manual would be fun to go thru the gears, and yeah the high miles could all be highway or something who knows
Old 07-21-2013, 04:54 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I would not buy a 130K mile Z06 for 14,900. I would put 3K into mine and make it as fast way before I would do that. Or trade for a mnaul if that's what I wanted.

My favorite vette is the Z06 but in my mind 50 extra HP does not justify the price. I can make my FRC a Z06 if I want to for way less money. I struggled with this when I was looking for my FRC. I had to choose between a FRC or FRC/Z06. I couldn't justify the price difference.

Fact is, I wouldn't pay 15K for any 130K mile car.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 07-21-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:15 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Don't "chase" a car that is a big compromise. That's a lot of cash for that many miles.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:13 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That ZO6 has way too many miles for me. And 10 to 1 it's had the dog driven out of it.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:43 PM
ZachHasAVette
Racer

once again thanks for the input, i think it was just one of those spur of the moments where i saw a cheapish z06 and didn't give much thought about the other things, my cars great and i plan on holding on to it for a while

Originally Posted by jrose7004
That ZO6 has way too many miles for me. And 10 to 1 it's had the dog driven out of it.

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I would put 3K into mine and make it as fast way before I would do that.50 extra HP does not justify the price. Fact is, I wouldn't pay 15K for any 130K mile car.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:13 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are truly content then just stay put. But if you want Z06 power it's going to cost you one way or the other. I feel I'm one of the lucky ones. Completely happy with the way the car looks. All I changed was a cat back exhaust. I'm an old fuddy duddy though.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,284 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The Z06 is priced too high for those miles. You can bet they will not give you much for your '97 as a trade. If you are happy with what you have now, save your cash and either mod it or wait until you find a much lower mileage car that is also within you budget.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:23 AM
jdot
Drifting

I know miles aren't usually an issue but I've got to agree with those who say 130K is too high. I just don't have a good feeling about it like others stated. However, your wallet, your satisfaction, your call. After all the only person you have to please is you.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 AM
ZachHasAVette
Racer

Originally Posted by torchredmadness
If you are truly content then just stay put. But if you want Z06 power it's going to cost you one way or the other. I feel I'm one of the lucky ones. Completely happy with the way the car looks. All I changed was a cat back exhaust. I'm an old fuddy duddy though.
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
The Z06 is priced too high for those miles. You can bet they will not give you much for your '97 as a trade. If you are happy with what you have now, save your cash and either mod it or wait until you find a much lower mileage car that is also within you budget.
i'm just gonna save up and do work with mine...unless one with reasonably mileage shows up in my budget . i was thinking they wouldn't offer me much, another reason why i changed my mind, plus the more i look at mine the more i like it and don't want to get rid of it
Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 AM
tigerman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would keep your 97. My fiancée and I were cruising woodward in my 97 with the top off Saturday night and it was a stress relief. Arctic white is bad ***.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 AM
ZachHasAVette
Racer

Originally Posted by tigerman
I would keep your 97. My fiancée and I were cruising woodward in my 97 with the top off Saturday night and it was a stress relief. Arctic white is bad ***.
oh yeah definitely a stress reliever and with a targa or vert is always a plus and yes arctic white is bad *** and i love it
Old 07-22-2013, 01:08 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterZ06vette
This ^ ^ ^

Really easy for someone who has never owned a Z06 to think a standard or base coupe can be upgraded to Z standards. Of course it can, but it is going to cost you much more than the difference in the price.

Engine upgrades are the easy part. Suspension, weight reduction, transmission, etc are the much more expensive parts.

Having owned two C5s, one Coupe and a Z06, no comparison. Z06 is the better car, period!

Don't look at HP alone. If all you want is straight line power, then yes the difference between a coupe and Z06 is negligible, once engine mods are open for implementation. However, if overall performance is the ticket, there are many, many differences that 3-5K motor mods will not account for.

I am not denigrating Coupes and Verts compared to a Z06. The nice thing about Coupes is the removable targa and hatchback. The nice thing about Verts is the wind in the hair. The nice thing about Z06 is all around performance.

Pick which is most important to you and go from there.

Get notified of new replies

To completely content but...

Quick Reply: completely content but...