Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torch red w black satin or gloss or no black??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 PM
lawdawg79
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torch red w black satin or gloss or no black??

Hey guys...so due to a deer strike the week before last my 98 torch red is in the shop. 7300 in damage, im getting a tigershark hood, tigershark front bumper and replacing the driver side fender, inner fender well, headlights and so on. The big stupid deer did damage that needs repainted on the roof and the hatch lid...basically gouges and damage from driver side headlight to passenger side tail light. Im puttin some of my own money in and just having the whole car repainted because basically everything but the passenger fender and door would have been sprayed/blended anyway.

So here is my dilemma, i sprayed the back of the car in black plastidip and loved it. So i think im gonna have it done permanantly in black satin, also going to have the middle of the ts hood behind the vent done in black satin. And last but not least have the roof and pillar/arch or whatever its called done in black satin. So with the tint the top of the car will look like a black capsul on top of red.

Im leaning towards black satin, but wonder if gloss black would look better. Im thinking on the rear that the satin would be better for sure. But im unsure of the rest. But i also think it should all match, the back top amd hood. So should i go all gloss or all satin?

This is no longer a daily driver either, i was driving it daily but instead of a rental i just bought a cheap car for winter. Plus i park at a university campus 4 days a week, and im a cop in the hood and someone already tried to steal my car from the police department parking lot one night. Ya im gettin that damage fixed too. Lol

So what do u guys think. Satin or gloss for the black.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:47 PM
ZachHasAVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think for the top gloss would look better, as for the rest i'm not sure. i've got my lower bumper plasti dipped and it looks nice flat but i've also seen it gloss and it looks good as well, so either way i think it'll look nice. just my two cents
Old 08-20-2013, 12:02 AM
lawdawg79
Advanced

Thats where im mostly on the fence.... i cant decide and its the top thats got me pondering and i need to make a decision by tomorrow evening.

Maybe do the roof gloss and the back and hood satin? Im also gonna have gloss black rims w red stripe around the lip. I also had black fender stripes on it and may or may not put them back on. I love the stripes but also dont want to have too much going on either, when its done i will make the decision on the stripes as i can put those on myself.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:03 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I think about doing the black roof and rear fascia too to my torch red 01 c5z - so please show pictures whenever you´ve decided and its done.

The roof will look awsome in gloss black. The rear fascia I think looks best in satin or matte when the vette has one color. But doing 2-color scheme it could be nice if the black where same color (gloss will match your rims and roof)

Good luck - and please remember to post pics
Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 PM
kabluie
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The top, IMO, would look better if done with gloss paint. The windows, when clean, are glossy, and if they are shaded then they will be gloss black. To have satin paint in the middle of all that gloss just wouldn't look right. Also, your torch red paint is glossy, so the satin would clash with that too.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM
ZachHasAVette
Racer

Originally Posted by kabluie
The top, IMO, would look better if done with gloss paint. The windows, when clean, are glossy, and if they are shaded then they will be gloss black. To have satin paint in the middle of all that gloss just wouldn't look right. Also, your torch red paint is glossy, so the satin would clash with that too.

Originally Posted by lawdawg79
Maybe do the roof gloss and the back and hood satin? Im also gonna have gloss black rims w red stripe around the lip. I also had black fender stripes on it and may or may not put them back on. I love the stripes but also dont want to have too much going on either, when its done i will make the decision on the stripes as i can put those on myself.
think you could pull that off with the top gloss and hood and rear satin, but with gloss wheels as well you might want to keep the glossy theme
Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 PM
lawdawg79
Advanced

Made the decision today.....all gloss, will post pics up when i get her back
Old 08-20-2013, 11:23 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

good choice
Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 AM
ZachHasAVette
Racer

Originally Posted by yaknow
good choice
Old 12-16-2013, 03:43 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

How does it look? (if you have any pictures yet)
Old 12-16-2013, 06:06 PM
lawdawg79
Advanced

Default sure do...

This was her on the rainy day I picked her up, like may of 2013.

[IMG][/IMG]

and this is how she looks now.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

and of course, after I had the coolant reservoir painted, it bulged on me, and rubbed a mark inside my nice hood.... stupid reservoir, i cant have nothin stay nice lol
Old 12-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good choice you made. Should look great.

Get notified of new replies

To torch red w black satin or gloss or no black??

Quick Reply: torch red w black satin or gloss or no black??