Sponsored by:

burning transmission smell.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:46 PM
robert1989
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default burning transmission smell.

I dropped the torque tube on Friday had it back in the car on Saturday and did the filling procedure with the car off used 5 quart jug (i assume 5 quarts). Drove it for maybe 5 miles total with 1 high rpm shift from first to second. Smelled a burning smell and looked up the procedure and it said the car needs to be on.

I then did it with the car on with the rear jacked up still a it took 2.5-3 more (give or take what spilled on the floor) drove it slight smell still. So today I did it with the car on a level surface it took maybe half a quart more wasn't exactly warmed up all the way maybe 110F.

Drove it again still smelled it so i went to do it again on a level surface with the car on and the transmission fluid at 200-210F I took the cap off and it started to pour out I put the cap back on and called it good.

Can you smell a burning transmission?

I put 7-8 quarts in what gives?

I also changed the rubber couplings in the torque tube do those have a smell or break in period?
Old 08-25-2013, 04:58 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Wow, I've never tried to read a thread as confusing as this. I don't have an automatic transmission so I'm of no help whatsoever. You didn't mention draining all of the fluid out or anything to do with your transmission.

But, when you check your automatic trans, it's usually done at a hot idle/in PARK.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert1989
I dropped the torque tube on Friday had it back in the car on Saturday and did the filling procedure with the car off used 5 quart jug (i assume 5 quarts). Drove it for maybe 5 miles total with 1 high rpm shift from first to second. Smelled a burning smell and looked up the procedure and it said the car needs to be on.

I then did it with the car on with the rear jacked up still a it took 2.5-3 more (give or take what spilled on the floor) drove it slight smell still. So today I did it with the car on a level surface it took maybe half a quart more wasn't exactly warmed up all the way maybe 110F.

Drove it again still smelled it so i went to do it again on a level surface with the car on and the transmission fluid at 200-210F I took the cap off and it started to pour out I put the cap back on and called it good.

It sounds like it's grossly overfilled: level, at temp, engine running in park, the fluid should not run out of the drain plug hole. And unless you did a full overhaul of the trans as part of that driveshaft replacement, 5 qts should have been enough.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:03 PM
robert1989
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
It sounds like it's grossly overfilled: level, at temp, engine running in park, the fluid should not run out of the drain plug hole. And unless you did a full overhaul of the trans as part of that driveshaft replacement, 5 qts should have been enough.
So whats the burning smell.

Also does it matter that I changed the torque converter to a 2200-2500 stall?

Last edited by robert1989; 08-25-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert1989

I also changed the rubber couplings in the torque tube do those have a smell or break in period?
I don't understand what you did or the question. Sorry.

Get notified of new replies

To burning transmission smell.

Quick Reply: burning transmission smell.