Sponsored by:

XM-Sirius FM Radio Adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Drummingdad
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XM-Sirius FM Radio Adaptor

In my quest to come up with a viable access to music other than the crap same 6 songs every hour FM Radio stations. Plus staying within my parameters of "This car will remain stock as the day it came off the line", and not switch out the head unit to a more 21st Century radio. I have decide to go the XM radio route. We have it in the wife's Buick and we really enjoy it.
Originally I went with the docking bay for the IPhone. With the thought that I can switch it out to my work truck when commuting. It charges the phone as you're listening, and it turns your car into a hands free device for phone calls. Bonus points were it was cheaper to buy than a car charger. Everything good. As per the direction on the web site, I purchased a Lightning Adaptor. Only to find out when it didn't work, their Tech Dept. doesn't support the IPhone 5. No problem. Sent it back and got a smaller unit with it's own docking bay that clips into the vent. Thinking a more concealed installation may be in order. Going to play with and check out options. "Onyx" I believe it's called. Free, just had to pay shipping. I haven't received it yet. Looks as though I can get another docking bay for the work truck and just take the Unit with.
Also, in the 5 hour commute, I don't expect the FM modulator option to work all that great as I can change radio markets almost every hour so I am thinking of getting the FM adaptor to go with it.

The information I am looking for is;
- I need to access the rear of the stock radio to tie in the antenna leads for the FM adaptor. What is the easiest way to do this.
- Come "post warranty" I would like to take the power supply that plugs into the car and hard wire it into a spare fuse block. Clean up the install. Also, any insight to this adaptation would greatly be appreciated.
-As far as the antenna for the unit goes, I am hoping to double sticky tape it to the lower left dash right off to the side of the VIN number plate. Inside the windshield. Plan "B" will be to locate it outside the car. possibly rear license plate area, somewhere. Again, any tried and trued locations that work better.

Thank you,
Don

Last edited by Drummingdad; 08-26-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how much of this will help you but here goes:
I am using an XM Roady XT. It is several years old but does the trick. I have a mounting bracket that attaches to the unit's cradle then powers the unit by plugging into a cigarette lighter:
http://www.mountguys.com/Powered_Lig...XM_p/sr197.htm
I wired an additional cigarette lighter/12 volt power outlet and mounted it to a bolt at the bottom of the dash, just to the left of the console. The XM mount has two joints and is adjustable. The unit sits just below the ignition key.
I am using this from Double D mods to wire directly into the factory C5 head unit:
http://shop.doubledmods.com/ZUNE-C5-...HGM2-pxdx2.htm
I have tried several positions for the antenna but found that I get the best reception with positioned in the middle of the dash defroster vent. I have it secured there with 3M 2-sided tape. I've had this thing installed for about 3 years this way, use it all the time, and it works great.
You will need to pull the console, radio bezel, and climate control to get to the back of the radio to install the adapter from Double D Mods, but it is much easier than it sounds. Just take your time.
I'll post pics tomorrow if you'd like.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:40 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I read somewhere an excellent location for the antenna is two way tape some nice free area in engine compartment no problem as hood is not metal.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Drummingdad
Instructor

I was wondering all last night if it is possible to interrupt the antenna lead at the antenna instead of back of the radio?

Interesting idea for XM antenna placement. I may have to experiment with locations before I permanently mount it to the car. I never considered the composite material wouldn't hinder the reception. Might try sticking it under the cowling for the convertible top.

Thank you your replies
Old 09-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Drummingdad
Instructor

Well, That was a lot of fun.
The docking bay for the IPhone idea didn't work out so well. I have an IPhone 5 and as per the instructions through the XM web-site, all I needed to do was purchase the adaptor from Apple separately and all is well..... unless it doesn't work. Then, XM Tech Support informs you they don't support the IPhone 5 ... because of the adaptor. So. Stick the dock back in the box, send it back to XM. Even with their return approval for my purchase, somewhere in the XM machine, even after making arrangements for another type of radio. The wisdom of the XM organization deemed it necessary to charge my account with a $75 early discount fee. Called XM Account Support. Problem solved, credit applied.
I receive my new XM unit. Giddy like a School Girl. I pop it out of the box and read that it does NOT have a wireless FM modulator option and will need to be directly plugged into the AUX side of the radio. Even though when talking to the person about this particular unit when it is being presented to me, that it indeed DOES have FM modulator option, him knowing up front I DO NOT have an AUX in on the radio of my car. I call XM Support.......
Yeah. So Much for that.
I looked into the adaptor as mentioned in the post above. Then googled if there was anywhere local I could pick one up instead of having to again wait for parts. My anxiety is dictating judgment at this moment. (I am also on the phone in this same time frame with Verizon Support a couple hours at a time trying to get the wife's phone straightened out. This is a Haiti boat load of fun all by itself.)
BestBuy has the adaptor I need. In Stock. I call up there and talk to the head installer, who I find out is the son of our friends' and a pretty awesome kid. The more I talked to him he more he convinced me to let him install the whole thing. I could even hang out in the shop if I wanted. Deal.. Cool.

Well. The adaptor he had in stock wasn't for the Bose equipped models. That sucked. He did however have the FM adaptor unit, so we went that way instead.
He hard wired the power supply and mounted the head unit in the glove box all nice and neat. Out of sight, out of mind. Comes on and off with the ignition. Life is good. No visible signs of any modification.
We experimented with the XM Antenna and per his previous Vette installs, mounted it UNDER the dash behind the defrost duct. All is good. XM Radio is awesome!!
OK. We did this all with the top down. I get up the next morning and head 45 min north to Omaha for work. Top up. No XM Radio. I pull off head east to check it out. XM works. Head north again. No XM...hmmm
Deduced that there was just enough metal in the bows of the convertible top to block the signal to the XM antenna when facing north.
Called my buddy that installed the XM system and told him my findings. We laughed. I took off early from work and headed back to BestBuy where we moved the antenna from under the dash to attaching it to one of the hinge brackets for the cowling of the convertible top by means of a small bracket we fashioned out of some strap material.
Test drove it. Top up. Works fantastic. did a 360n degree test drive, in and under and around garages and overpasses. I have XM. Win.

The End

Last edited by Drummingdad; 09-01-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To XM-Sirius FM Radio Adaptor

Quick Reply: XM-Sirius FM Radio Adaptor