Sponsored by:

tilt column stuck in up position

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:11 PM
vetrnz06
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default tilt column stuck in up position

it happened saturday. got in the car and ran a few errands and after 1 stop i started the car and lowered the column into position and it promptly flipped back up into the up position. and now it wont budge. i didnt hear anything break ie. a part,spring or the lever. couple other vette owners suggested it is just stuck and i should pull on the lever and smack the wheel downward pretty firmly/hard. that has worked for them i guess. maybe i didnt release the lever b4 i let go of the wheel and it popped back up a little too hard .something you do w/o thinking really... any suggestions? thank for your help. 2004 z06,14000 miles.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:00 AM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tilt Wheel Stuck Up

Hi, as the others suggested, smack it around a bit and show it who is boss. Truly, the same thing happened to mine, the lever felt as if it was disengaged, and the wheel was stuck in the up position. I smacked it a bit while I was cursing GM for a faulty design, finally in a fit of frustration I ran the telescoping in and out a few times and smacked the cr+p out of it from side to side and up and down as I was holding the lever in. (Also you can grasp the top firmly and rock it up and down convincingly, while working the lever in and out). It finally surrendered and snapped back into place. It's never happened again. You have to give it some strong persuasion. The lever ratchet gets stuck on top of a cog on the adjuster gear, and it takes some strong smacks to jar it loose. Afterwards just feed it some hi test, and take it on a nice winding back road trip for a few hours and it will forgive you. You'll feel better to.
Good Luck

Last edited by bestvettever; 11-04-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:33 PM
vetrnz06
Pro

Default tilt column

thanks bestvette ever. i will try it and post back. it is the same suggestion as on other forums.seems a bit harsh to beat it up like that thoogh.going to send u a private message.thanx
Old 11-09-2008, 08:50 PM
vetrnz06
Pro

column fixed. pulled the lever and gave it a little rap on the wheel and it fell down where i can adjust it wherever. weather was cool here saturday in north central fla so i tried it in the morning when it was cool.figured it would be a good time and it worked. thanx bestvettever. mike
Old 04-05-2009, 02:05 AM
marshterry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANK YOU. This is a year old thread but it fixed my "stuck" tilt on my '01 coupe.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Fixed mine too

All you need is a little hit at the bottom of the wheel, not much force at all, using a closed fist, to break the wheel loose and solve the problem.

Thanks to all.

Get notified of new replies

To tilt column stuck in up position

Quick Reply: tilt column stuck in up position