Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!...c5 coolant surge problem

Old 09-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Phantuhhm
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!...c5 coolant surge problem

So today I got home from the store when I turned my car off I heard a hissing sound, when I popped the hood the noise was coming from the coolant surge. The surge was really hot and I could see it steaming the main thing that was hissing was the tube connected to the coolant surge on the left. Also it looks like the tank was squirting out coolant all over the engine.. Any idea what's wrong? Do I need to drain and replace coolant? Overfill? Please help...
Old 09-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

What was the temp when you turned it off? Sounds like it has a leak, that's where I would look first.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:08 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

if you recently filled coolant and overfilled the system that's one thing

however

it sounds like you're boiling the coolant. remember, without pressure the coolant will boil at 212deg which is not hard to hit in a c5

the fill cap is a potential suspect if you aren't leaking coolant anywhere

ac delco replacement caps are also under 10 bucks
Old 09-07-2013, 05:45 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
This is true if the coolant is water only. However the mixture in most cars is about 50% water and 50% anti-freeze (perhaps DexCool). A 50/50 mixture has a boil point of about 260 degrees F. without pressure if my memory is correct. So if his coolant is boiling he has a real problem.

I suspect that one of the plastic bungs on the surge tank is cracked where it attaches to the tank and that the system does not build a lot of pressure but rather pisses the coolant out the crack.
pressure is what allows water to surpass 212, not the dex cool. straight water is actually more effective at cooling than antifreeze. the reason we use antifreeze is because of the anti corrosion and obvious anti freezing part

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!...c5 coolant surge problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP!...c5 coolant surge problem