Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base C5 GM Susp Upgrade - C6 Z51 Sway Bars - C6 Z06 Shocks - At CULTRAG Performance!

Old 12-02-2013, 06:14 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Gene:

Order placed for sway bar kit, shocks and links + a few other items

Looking forward to Santa's visit!

Sadly, gotta wait until I get her out of storage in the Spring to do all the work

Thanks!

Bob
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM
mrm13
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just received notification from Fedex. My sways should be here on Friday. Now I have to clean the grill and buy beer for the Saturday after we install them with my buddy.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Pintoblades
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gene....thanks for the ZO6 shocks! They solved my elusive rattle! She rides quiet now and much firmer...I"m loving them. Patrick helped me when I placed my order...please let him know I am totally happy with these shocks. The car rides much nicer with these puppies on it!! The price was really good too. I would highly recommend these shocks to anyone if they are on a budget and want some great shocks.

Thank you!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 PM
ScumOne
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Gene, I have a 99 C5 with the F45 Select Ride Control. Will the C6 Z51 sway bars improve the handling without changing the shocks?

EDIT: Placed my order for the sway bars. I'll call you tomorrow to verify.

Last edited by ScumOne; 12-02-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
Gene:

Order placed for sway bar kit, shocks and links + a few other items

Looking forward to Santa's visit!

Sadly, gotta wait until I get her out of storage in the Spring to do all the work

Thanks!

Bob
Thank you for your business. I certainly appreciate it!

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Gene Culley

Originally Posted by mrm13
Just received notification from Fedex. My sways should be here on Friday. Now I have to clean the grill and buy beer for the Saturday after we install them with my buddy.
Sounds like a great day ahead! Let me know your thoughts on the setup!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Gene Culley

Originally Posted by Pintoblades
Gene....thanks for the ZO6 shocks! They solved my elusive rattle! She rides quiet now and much firmer...I"m loving them. Patrick helped me when I placed my order...please let him know I am totally happy with these shocks. The car rides much nicer with these puppies on it!! The price was really good too. I would highly recommend these shocks to anyone if they are on a budget and want some great shocks.

Thank you!
This is awesome! I'm glad to hear you are pleased and we appreciate the business and positive feedback. I will tell Patrick!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Gene Culley

Originally Posted by ScumOne
Gene, I have a 99 C5 with the F45 Select Ride Control. Will the C6 Z51 sway bars improve the handling without changing the shocks?

EDIT: Placed my order for the sway bars. I'll call you tomorrow to verify.
Yes, they sway bars help tremendously in the cornering ability. The shocks will help with the straight lines as well as cornering, but you'll see a large improvement in cornering with the sway bars only.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:37 PM
ScumOne
Racer

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Yes, they sway bars help tremendously in the cornering ability. The shocks will help with the straight lines as well as cornering, but you'll see a large improvement in cornering with the sway bars only.
Thanks for the verification! Looking forward to receiving them.

Jim
Old 12-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Gene Culley

Thanks for the verification! Looking forward to receiving them.

Jim
Thank you for your business. I certainly appreciate it.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:08 AM
mrm13
Pro

I just played with taking off the old rear swaybar and prepping the new one. The new ones are massive compared to the stock. Unfortunately, they are also considerably heavier. The only thing that kind of puzzled me was the lack of new nuts for the end links. It is a shame to put everything new underneath and have to use the old nuts.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Gene Culley

I just played with taking off the old rear swaybar and prepping the new one. The new ones are massive compared to the stock. Unfortunately, they are also considerably heavier. The only thing that kind of puzzled me was the lack of new nuts for the end links. It is a shame to put everything new underneath and have to use the old nuts.
This is certainly something we can add-on for you guys for the cost of the nuts!
Old 12-12-2013, 01:42 AM
mrm13
Pro

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
This is certainly something we can add-on for you guys for the cost of the nuts!
I don't understand. I guess it is some sort of tipo.
What can you add for the cost of the nuts? I just got the nuts. 8X$5=$40

By the way for those of you that don't realize how much bigger the C6Z06 sway bars are than stock, here is a picture.

Thanks again Gene.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Gene Culley

I don't understand. I guess it is some sort of tipo.
What can you add for the cost of the nuts? I just got the nuts. 8X$5=$40

By the way for those of you that don't realize how much bigger the C6Z06 sway bars are than stock, here is a picture.

Thanks again Gene.
My comment meant that if everyone would like new nuts for the end links I can make up a kit and basically we could increase the cost of the kit for the price of the new nuts. That is all.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:36 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Gene:

Santa just dropped off my Christmas presents.

But...I gotta wait until Spring to play with 'em.

Getting 4 - 6" of fresh garbage from the sky today and Corvette is in hibernation...

Thanks!

Bob
Old 12-16-2013, 06:57 PM
ScumOne
Racer

Gene, first off, thanks for the great price on the C6 Z51 sway bars. I had to order replacement front end links since the originals were a little worn (IMO), with busted grease seals/covers.

I got some Moog end links for the front (already had Z06 links for the rear) and installed all of the pieces today. For reference this is a 1999 C5 Coupe, 82k miles, original Select Ride Control shocks set on "Performance", Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires with 6k miles on them.

First impressions...20 miles of driving.

1) Cornering improved quite a bit when going 50-70 mph on freeway changes (cloverleaf turn 270 degress) from the 605 north to the 60 west here in LA. The 99 C5 no longer hopped or drifted like it did before. This led to increased speed and confidence in turns.

2) Changing lanes felt more solid, less play, more responsive to steering wheel changes.

3) I had some squeaks/noises when hitting bumps/dips. Most of them are gone now. Might have been the sway bar bushings and the end links, but they're mostly history.

4) Less drift in lane now. Again this could be the worn end links or sway bar bushings (plus the old sway bars being roughly 60% of the size of the new Z51 C6 sway bars), but it's definitely improved.

Overall impressions, very positive.

Worth the money. Hell yeah.

Doing it to my 04 CE? You bet.

Thanks for the sale price on these! And thanks to Rock Auto (again) for the ultra fast end link shipping!

Jim
Old 12-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Gene,
How long are these sway bar prices good?
How does one decide (or know) if new end links are needed?
Also, how long does it take to swap each bar?
thanks,

Get notified of new replies

To Base C5 GM Susp Upgrade - C6 Z51 Sway Bars - C6 Z06 Shocks - At CULTRAG Performance!

Old 12-17-2013, 03:11 PM
ScumOne
Racer

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
Gene,
How long are these sway bar prices good?
How does one decide (or know) if new end links are needed?
Also, how long does it take to swap each bar?
thanks,
My 99 has had both front and rear sway bar end links swapped now. The fronts didn't look good. Dust caps torn over the bearings, and they looked a little warped or tweaked. I guess it's the composite plastic/whatever design.

Z06 end links were put in the rear a year ago since they were bad, and those fit fine on the Z51 bars I got from Gene.

The new Moog llnks on the front are beefier than the stock models I took off, and better designed for grease lubrication, too. They're $50 per axle pair or less from Rock Auto, and they come with the new nuts, too. PN# MOOG K750136. I would advise you to just get them and be safe since you're already spending $250 on the sway bars.

Time to install, roughly 1.5 hours for both bars if you go slow, screw up a few times fitting them in and only have one guy doing it. You'll need a torque wrench, and cresecent wrench (taking off the old links required a torx bit, crescent wrench too) to tighten the new Moog end links.

Other than that a floor jack, jack stands and you're good to go.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Gene Culley

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
Gene:

Santa just dropped off my Christmas presents.

But...I gotta wait until Spring to play with 'em.

Getting 4 - 6" of fresh garbage from the sky today and Corvette is in hibernation...

Thanks!

Bob
Thank you for your business. I'm sorry you have to wait a while. I'm in the same boat my friend as we are in PA. My car has been put away since the end of September lol.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Gene Culley

Gene, first off, thanks for the great price on the C6 Z51 sway bars. I had to order replacement front end links since the originals were a little worn (IMO), with busted grease seals/covers.

I got some Moog end links for the front (already had Z06 links for the rear) and installed all of the pieces today. For reference this is a 1999 C5 Coupe, 82k miles, original Select Ride Control shocks set on "Performance", Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires with 6k miles on them.

First impressions...20 miles of driving.

1) Cornering improved quite a bit when going 50-70 mph on freeway changes (cloverleaf turn 270 degress) from the 605 north to the 60 west here in LA. The 99 C5 no longer hopped or drifted like it did before. This led to increased speed and confidence in turns.

2) Changing lanes felt more solid, less play, more responsive to steering wheel changes.

3) I had some squeaks/noises when hitting bumps/dips. Most of them are gone now. Might have been the sway bar bushings and the end links, but they're mostly history.

4) Less drift in lane now. Again this could be the worn end links or sway bar bushings (plus the old sway bars being roughly 60% of the size of the new Z51 C6 sway bars), but it's definitely improved.

Overall impressions, very positive.

Worth the money. Hell yeah.

Doing it to my 04 CE? You bet.

Thanks for the sale price on these! And thanks to Rock Auto (again) for the ultra fast end link shipping!

Jim
Thank you for your detailed review and for your business. This was a great review and what is normally experienced with this upgrade!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Base C5 GM Susp Upgrade - C6 Z51 Sway Bars - C6 Z06 Shocks - At CULTRAG Performance!