Sponsored by:

who sells actual c/f rear brake ducts or the most real looking covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:25 AM
Justinduhhhh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who sells actual c/f rear brake ducts or the most real looking covers

ben looking for a while but most of the sets i seen like corvettemods.com the covers just look really fake almost like a carbon fiber sticker
does anyone make an actual carbon fiber brake duct that replaces the outer brake duct instead of just covers it?

if not then who has a set that actually looks real ?
maybe im just getting bad pics or they look better in person???
Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Remove yours and have them redone to what ever you like, CF, HC.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:07 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Have you checked out the breathless performance ducts? Look really slick...just another option.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Justinduhhhh
Racer

ill check them out thanks for the heads up
still on the lookout guys? anyone?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Laser Guided
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

corvettecreationz.com says that they are in the process of making one. Worth keeping an eye out for

http://corvettecreationz.com/store/i...tegory&path=72
Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

The problem with the Z06 ducts is that they sit on top of the rocker ( they stick Out ) and are low to the ground. This leaves them exposed to every grain of sand that flies off your front wheels. It like sticking your chin out so someone could take a swing at you. You never see these types of intake scoops on exotics. they are always built into the body, not above the body. We are talking brake scoops here not hood scoops or air intake scoops found high up on the body like a Lamborghini Countach

The ABS found in the Z06 factory scoops are also not a good sub straight because it is soft and can not hold up well to being sand blasted over time. the problem with the Z06 scoops is they will never look as good as the day you got them. Everyday takes away from their pristine look.
If you look close at most Z06 scoops, the leading edge is not in the best of shape, where the car sees a lot of road mileage in areas where sand is prevalent.
Breathless performance products

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 08-22-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:27 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
The problem with the Z06 ducts is that they sit on top of the rocker ( they stick Out ) and are low to the ground. This leaves them exposed to every grain of sand that flies off your front wheels. It like sticking your chin out so someone could take a swing at you. You never see these types of intake scoops on exotics. they are always built into the body, not above the body. We are talking brake scoops here not hood scoops or air intake scoops found high up on the body like a Lamborghini Countach

The ABS found in the Z06 factory scoops are also not a good sub straight because it is soft and can not hold up well to being sand blasted over time. the problem with the Z06 scoops is they will never look as good as the day you got them. Everyday takes away from their pristine look.
If you look close at most Z06 scoops, the leading edge is not in the best of shape, where the car sees a lot of road mileage in areas where sand is prevalent.

Frankly I disagree with you. I just got a flashlight out (the vette
is in the garage) and my scoop looks as good as new and I put
them on several years ago. Oh yes--they are real ones from Gene's.
I can't be the only vette with like new scoops that have been thru
the wear and tear of the road.
I like your scoops but they are not for my vette.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by road pilot
Frankly I disagree with you. I just got a flashlight out (the vette
is in the garage) and my scoop looks as good as new and I put
them on several years ago. Oh yes--they are real ones from Gene's.
I can't be the only vette with like new scoops that have been thru
the wear and tear of the road.
I like your scoops but they are not for my vette.
You can certainly disagree with me.

The problem is in the real world many members have complained about how bad their scoops looks after a few years of high speed mileage. Of course their are situations where a car may not see the conditions necessary to cause this sand blasting effect, but in the twelve years I've been here, I've seen countless complaints about this issue with the Z06 scoops. ABS by its own structure, is a soft polymer, not really a tough sub straight like a fiberglass composite. I was just responding to someone's mention of a viable and much more robust design. I never liked the after thought add-on scoops they used with the Z06. Unfortunately it was an after thought, and it shows in the design. How I know this , is that I heard rumblings of this design right when I was retiring from GM's design center. If this was one of my projects, I never would have designed them this way. This decision and design was accomplished in a 6 month period, where a design was needed and not much budget or time was available.

I'm also a bit confused about the topic; it says the most "real looking scoops" ? the most real looking scoops are those that are OEM, found at any OEM supplier. you can get more real looking than OEM.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 08-22-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:18 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

You can certainly disagree with me.

The problem is in the real world many members have complained about how bad their scoops looks after a few years of high speed mileage. Of course their are situations where a car may not see the conditions necessary to cause this sand blasting effect, but in the twelve years I've been here, I've seen countless complaints about this issue with the Z06 scoops. ABS by its own structure, is a soft polymer, not really a tough sub straight like a fiberglass composite. I was just responding to someone's mention of a viable and much more robust design. I never liked the after thought add-on scoops they used with the Z06. Unfortunately it was an after thought, and it shows in the design. How I know this , is that I heard rumblings of this design right when I was retiring from GM's design center. If this was one of my projects, I never would have designed them this way. This decision and design was accomplished in a 6 month period, where a design was needed and not much budget or time was available.

I'm also a bit confused about the topic; it says the most "real looking scoops" ? the most real looking scoops are those that are OEM, found at any OEM supplier. you can get more real looking than OEM.
I can agree on the lack of or hurried design of the scoop.
Sorry, when I said Gene I should of said OEM.....
Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 PM
PeterB
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 08-22-2013, 09:39 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

my car at 45,000 miles, my Z06 scoops were pitted not badly but enough to bug me..so I took them off the car and cleaned them with some wax and grease remover, then took some plasti dip to them...put a few coats , allowed them to dry over night and they look brand new again..and the rocks just bounce off the ducts now..
Old 08-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Justinduhhhh
Racer

would love to keep the thread on topic no thanks on the breathless performance ducts wanna keep the car in the stock form just change the materials used to make it look better
Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Justinduhhhh
Racer

Originally Posted by Laser Guided
corvettecreationz.com says that they are in the process of making one. Worth keeping an eye out for

http://corvettecreationz.com/store/i...tegory&path=72
that still says covers
Old 08-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Justinduhhhh
Racer

bump
Old 08-31-2013, 02:43 PM
5.3Avalanche
Instructor

Wow, those look amazing! I think I may seriously look into putting those on my car. Really clean integration as though it was part of the inital body design.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:15 PM
PeterB
Drifting

5.3 those where made by Evil Twin from scratch.. Not sure if he used fiberglass or bondo and there's a thread somewhere on the process he went through. I agree they look amazing. Myself included would like it on my 01, I've even inquired with my body shop guy. Not only does it have tremendous eye appeal but from what I understand its also functional in cooling the rear breaks. Am I correct Bill?
Old 08-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by PeterB.
5.3 those where made by Evil Twin from scratch.. Not sure if he used fiberglass or bondo and there's a thread somewhere on the process he went through. I agree they look amazing. Myself included would like it on my 01, I've even inquired with my body shop guy. Not only does it have tremendous eye appeal but from what I understand its also functional in cooling the rear breaks. Am I correct Bill?
Thank you for the kind words.
I did not make these from scratch, although it was my very first attempt at body work. They are indeed fully functional using the factory Z06 inner ducts to direct cooling to the rear 14" rotors.
The actual outer scoops come from a company called Breathless Performance Products. They are fiberglass and much more forgiving when it comes to road rash than the ABS found on the Factory Z06 outer scoops. I spent 40 hours integrating these into my rocker panels.
Lots of fiberglass filling, sanding and shaping. I had a shop Paint them.
the Body shop said they were impressed with what I had done. They said they could have done the job in about ten hours @ 80 an hour, the ducts cost 400 dollars both inners and outers, and then 150 to paint them. Just to give you an Idea what was involved. They look absolutely correct in their design and integration and also Key on the front fender scoop but in reverse. I was so happy not to have been apart of that Z06 design, I was just retiring from GM when they were prototyping the design for the Z06 upgrades. I've had these scoops on my car for twelve years, and could not be happier with their enhancement to the look.

Get notified of new replies

To who sells actual c/f rear brake ducts or the most real looking covers

Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 PM
PeterB
Drifting

Bill, will you then accept a GNote to make me a set?

C'm ET I understand you are a GM retired celebrity engineer and have plenty of cash, phenomenal pension, outrageous investments etc. So simply consider it a hobby, a small project, a labor of love for one of your admirer in the Windy City

Just teasing buddy as I think I know what your response to me will be All kidding aside, I would like to add that look to my car and plan to investigate it further. So at the cost of getting scolded, I'll need the outers and inner scoops from Breathless Performance for about a knickel, and a knowledgeable body man to try and copy (how does that saying go, imitation, flattery is the sincerest form of complimenting you ) The look you have achieved through fiberglass sanding and molding. Does that pretty much sum it up Hahhaha OK please fill me in if need be and your kindness & time allow. Thank you Sir.

On a positive note, I'm happy to hear you are doing much better Bill. Have a super holiday with your family and loved ones. Thanks again Bill, you are the real McCoy and the very, very best!

PeterB.

Last edited by PeterB; 08-31-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:15 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

RK Sport makes a CF Cover.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by zipity
RK Sport makes a CF Cover.
This thread belongs to a guy looking to get cf scoops for his car. I've already comprimised his thread with my offering. He asked to keep his thread on topic..so that should be the focus. I apologise for the side step.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 08-31-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Quick Reply: who sells actual c/f rear brake ducts or the most real looking covers