Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reducing Interior Noise, what did you use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 11:09 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default Reducing Interior Noise, what did you use?

I'm looking into a winter project of reducing the interior noise levels on my C5 coupe. This past year I installed a GHL Bullet cat back and it sounds awesome, but I now realize that it is difficult to have a conversation with a passenger and the radio needs to be cranked up to hear. Next Spring I will be replacing my now 10 year old Goodyear run-flats for something else which should help tire road noise. So the focus over the winter is possibly the rear cargo area. Looking into this online I found a few solutions and I added them below. Curious what others have used and how effective you found the solution to be? Please add approx cost if you don't mind sharing.

Keep in mind this is specifically for interior cabin noise reduction, not tire noise.
  1. Cargo Partition
  2. Lloyd Rear Cargo Mat
  3. Frost King--rear cargo, under seats, seat wall, etc...
  4. Dynamat--rear cargo, under seats, seat wall, etc...
  5. Fiberglass Insulation or Rubber Matting in just the floors of the cargo bins
  6. Precut kits sold by a few forum vendors
  7. Something in wheel wells
  8. Anything else?

I'm leaning towards the Frost King product due to cost, but wonder how good a SOUND insulator it really is. Seems it would help with heat, something that I don't seem to notice with such a short commute. I've read the Mike Mercury post...just want to hear from others too. What can I say, I like to review my options before spending my money and time.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:23 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

#0 Non Runflat Tires
Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 PM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I used Raam mat to soundproof my 03 coupe and it made a huge difference.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 AM
416 Rigby
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Check out "Audio/electronics" in the general section

It's all there. Like most projects it boils down to Ya get what Ya pay for. I used a foil backed stick on butyl like"B Quiet" on all flat surfaces, then closed cell foam (ensolite, ect) then mass loaded vinyl.

Before Ya jump search!, first for the level of results you will be satisfied with, then the actual process, then the materials .It is all out there, trust me a roll of foil backed bubble wrap from a big box will not give Ya enough results to be worth the trouble of stripping your interior.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Removing the interior is easy, downright simple. Hardest part was unbolting the 2 seats. And they're only 8 bolts. I used the frost king stuff. Seen the same product marketed at higher prices as sound deadening material. It was night and day for the heat, and decent on the sound. I need to do my doors next so i expect to see an extra benefit for sound.

Getting rid of the run flats will wipe out most of the tire noise but not much will solve the loud exhaust.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

I used Dynamat Extreme on mine. It reduced noise quite a bit.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:05 AM
3tt3v8P
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been thinking of this same thing to do on my convertible. I've been trying to find a couple of threads that had some awesome pics and some use of different materials. Been looking at the fatmat products and GT mat products. Just want to have my homework done before ripping out the interior. I did put on a set of Hankook V12's and do have a partition which helped quite a bit. Thanks much
Old 11-12-2013, 11:44 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 416 Rigby
It's all there. Like most projects it boils down to Ya get what Ya pay for. I used a foil backed stick on butyl like"B Quiet" on all flat surfaces, then closed cell foam (ensolite, ect) then mass loaded vinyl.

Before Ya jump search!, first for the level of results you will be satisfied with, then the actual process, then the materials .It is all out there, trust me a roll of foil backed bubble wrap from a big box will not give Ya enough results to be worth the trouble of stripping your interior.
I also put the B Quiet in my c5 for heat & sound it help more on the heat around the center trans more than the sound, You may be able to tell a little diff if any on sound. But I also running no cats 2 inch headers and GHL cat back also.

Now in my 57 chev & also my 65 vette I put both this and Dynamat in it you can tell a big diff. The Dynamat makes the car feel stiffer if you put it 100% in the floor and sound better also. The down side to it is weight, it is heavy. Robert
Old 11-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

I did 100% of the car in Dynamat and then covered most spots with one of those insulation kits. This helped a lot.

While I have the car apart I think I am going to remove the inner fender liner and put some Dynamat under it.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Derf
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 11 year old run flats are loud, but only have 6k miles on them. Thinking of replacing with non run flats. Not sure what would be a good replacement, suggestions??? I also use a partition behind the seats that helps a lot.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:17 PM
3tt3v8P
Racer

Originally Posted by Derf
My 11 year old run flats are loud, but only have 6k miles on them. Thinking of replacing with non run flats. Not sure what would be a good replacement, suggestions??? I also use a partition behind the seats that helps a lot.
I switched mine out with the Hankook V12 tires and the difference was amazing. The ride improved also. Its awesome to not feel every crack in the pavement. 2000 miles on them and no sign of wear.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Vert owners complaining of sound issues? Then thinking there's a product that will quiet the noise. Only thing that will quiet a vert is a hardtop.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:39 PM
photonhunter
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Non-runflats, 2" foam partition, and Dynamat in an FRC.
It's so quiet that I can tell my girlfriend that she doesn't have to scream like she's being disemboweled to comment on my driving, a normal conversational tone will suffice.

dan k.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:57 PM
3tt3v8P
Racer

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
Vert owners complaining of sound issues? Then thinking there's a product that will quiet the noise. Only thing that will quiet a vert is a hardtop.
I'm not complaining about noise I am just trying to get rid of some of the road noise from other places other than the top. In fact, with the top up I have hardly any bad noise coming from the top, most is from the back and heat from underneath. Didn't know this would bother you.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I did the Frost King on my Coupe. Didn't make enough of a difference to repeat with the current z06. Changed the Good Year run flats to Michelins on the Coupe. Made a HUGE difference. That's the first thing I'd advise anyone to do.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:32 PM
jfaxas
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at a local car show the other day and one guy had a couple of medium sized Corvette logo'd pillows that he kept in the back. I asked him about the pillows since they were C5 branded thinking that he just took the to car shows for looks but he swears that they cut the interior noise way down.
I haven't tried it but it makes sense
Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Zorlac
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Reducing Interior Noise, what did you use?"

I left my wife at home.

Get notified of new replies

To Reducing Interior Noise, what did you use?

Old 11-12-2013, 06:39 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

another one for B quiet here. Removed the entire interior and brushed it on. I also did under the door panels. I also did under the rear fenders above the wheels and then sprayed black back over everything once it dried. It makes a huge difference.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:19 PM
p1bz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 layers of Fatmat Rattletrap, and a Partition. 8 inch sub mounted in the partition, and DD radio, speaker upgrade, my car is very nice to drive now.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I pushed her out the door! Made a HUGE improvement!

Quick Reply: Reducing Interior Noise, what did you use?