Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost to a Hyundai....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM
zagger
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing will replace my C5, it is a timeless classic. I love it and won't part with it. No matter of all it's faults and inequalities it is still as unique as the day it first rolled out of the factory. Having said that I have to admit the Genesis R-Spec is not your old Hyundai. Thanks to this thread I went out and test drove one (wife needs new DD) and this thing is fantastic. I would put it head to toe with BMW 5 series, seriously that good. Yes it is an Asian import but so is my Tundra that is build in Texas. And they all share same parts made in Mexico and wherever else. With new global economy no single nation is a sole producer of anything anymore. I believe in value not blind loyalty to a brand or what others think to be trendy, honestly it could be made by Burger King for all I care. It is a strong contender in the sedan class. But again no matter how nice it is and as good of a value it may bring to the table it is totally different animal than the Vett and will never compete with it. After all only "Vett get's them wet" Lol
Old 11-20-2013, 01:03 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I wouldn't go modifying your car for more power just because you lost a race. I'm making barely more than stock power, and I'm very happy with it. In fact, even in a completely stock c5, only a professional driver would be able to fully utilize the 350hp on a race track. 350 hp is a LOT of freaking power. There will always be someone who can go faster in a straight line.

If you want more power, all it takes is money and the willingness to decrease the reliability and longevity of your car. I drive my cars VERY hard, and my rule of thumb is to not make more than around 10% extra power from modifications. otherwise, it's going to cost a boatload of cash to maintain stock reliability with drivetrain upgrades and internal engine upgrades. Remember, you can only choose 2 of these 3: cheap/fast/reliable.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:28 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanSavage
I'm not sure what MY it happened, but Hyundai removed the crooked "H" from the Genesis cars and replaced them with winged "Genesis" badges.
I believe that is only on the 8cyl models?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SaberD
I wouldn't go modifying your car for more power just because you lost a race. I'm making barely more than stock power, and I'm very happy with it. In fact, even in a completely stock c5, only a professional driver would be able to fully utilize the 350hp on a race track. 350 hp is a LOT of freaking power. There will always be someone who can go faster in a straight line.

If you want more power, all it takes is money and the willingness to decrease the reliability and longevity of your car. I drive my cars VERY hard, and my rule of thumb is to not make more than around 10% extra power from modifications. otherwise, it's going to cost a boatload of cash to maintain stock reliability with drivetrain upgrades and internal engine upgrades. Remember, you can only choose 2 of these 3: cheap/fast/reliable.

DDaryl, is that you?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:42 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ona mission
I couldn't have a Genesis instead of my Corvette but as a daily driver, I would certainly be happy to own a Genesis (and lots of others for that matter). Now, if my Vette were my primary car then I agree it isn't a discussion. Vette hands down. I am not sure how Vettes can be DD's though as it is such an impractical mode of transportation on a daily basis in today's world. More often than not I have a load of something that is larger than the Vette trunk.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:43 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

I forgot which forum I was in... I thought this was the c5 z06 forum...

But I definitely agree with SaberD. And no offense to all the coupe and vert owners, but it's stories like this that makes me completely pleased that I turned down an '08 coupe for my '03Z; hell, if you've read me before, you know that I didn't know one Vette model from another and bought solely for performance and handling. (yeah. I didn't know what a z06 was until I got it home and Wikipedia'd... )

There's one other thing no one's mentioned yet as a consideration for prefering the c5 over the Hyundai... what would have happened if you'da hadda drive through a couple hairpins?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Black C5 LS1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
But what really gives me a buzz is the array of comments I get everyday when I get eye contact with someone after leaving my car or just getting into it. the car ( 14 years ) old still attract people to go out of their way to talk to me. but here is the kicker. With respect to the Op's observation about the car next to him, he could not tell the make, there is No doubt that I drive a Corvette. The problem with the Asian rim cars, is that they all look alike. Even some American made cars are taking their queue from Asian designs.
I saw that with the C6 getting styling queue from the European market. The C7 is a further example of moving away from the American Sports car heritage. Old guys like me want our Corvette to look like American muscle. I left GM at the right time.
Bill, I agree w/ most of yer post... but the first time I ever saw a C5, the only thing I could think of was "Acura NSX"
I do love the styling on my Vette. But it seems the bottom line with this thread is we're talking sedan vs sports car. Traditionally, speed is more often a surprise in a 4-door than in a svelte coupe or targa....

Last edited by Black C5 LS1; 11-20-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:45 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
DDaryl, is that you?
So apparently DDaryl is a guy who doesn't want to modify his car? Just because I don't want to make too much power doesn't mean I'm against modifying my car. In fact, more of my car is modified than what it came with. Fully rebuilt drivetrain, shifter, all new suspension, intake and mani, headers, exhaust, and doing the timing set now with an upgraded chain, new gears, oil pump, and a chain dampener. Also adding an ATI balancer. I've also rebuilt the AC system, and done quite a few interior and exterior mods, and countless other mods.

I modify my car so that it can endure the beating from hell, because that's what I give it. I could easily make it an 800hp monster, but that is not what I desire. Another reason for why I have the car running at it's current power level is if you make too much power, the throttle becomes more of an on/off switch rather than something you can easily modulate. I am not a professional driver, so 350-400hp is more than enough for me to handle, and the same goes for the skill level of most people on this forum. In fact, sometimes I wish I could reduce the power in favor of more throttle control especially at an autocross. I tune my car to my preferences. Car and driver must be in harmony.

Last edited by SaberD; 11-20-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:54 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Here are my thoughts. The Op of the this thread started out not knowing what make of car was next to him.

My car makes me happy, I've added some things to it to make it more fun and more timely. But what really gives me a buzz is the array of comments I get everyday when I get eye contact with someone after leaving my car or just getting into it. the car ( 14 years ) old still attract people to go out of their way to talk to me. but here is the kicker. With respect to the Op's observation about the car next to him, he could not tell the make, there is No doubt that I drive a Corvette. The problem with the Asian rim cars, is that they all look alike. Even some American made cars are taking their queue from Asian designs.
I saw that with the C6 getting styling queue from the European market. The C7 is a further example of moving away from the American Sports car heritage. Old guys like me want our Corvette to look like American muscle. I left GM at the right time.
Bill aka ET
AND, you have one of the few cars left with pop up headlights and an ASHTRAY!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:56 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Stock is boring. It's also more practical, cheaper, and probably lets you enjoy your car more; long term. I'll never go where I've gone with my Corvette again, but regrets are a wasted emotion.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:20 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

So apparently DDaryl is a guy who doesn't want to modify his car? Just because I don't want to make too much power doesn't mean I'm against modifying my car. In fact, more of my car is modified than what it came with. Fully rebuilt drivetrain, shifter, all new suspension, intake and mani, headers, exhaust, and doing the timing set now with an upgraded chain, new gears, oil pump, and a chain dampener. Also adding an ATI balancer. I've also rebuilt the AC system, and done quite a few interior and exterior mods, and countless other mods.

I modify my car so that it can endure the beating from hell, because that's what I give it. I could easily make it an 800hp monster, but that is not what I desire. Another reason for why I have the car running at it's current power level is if you make too much power, the throttle becomes more of an on/off switch rather than something you can easily modulate. I am not a professional driver, so 350-400hp is more than enough for me to handle, and the same goes for the skill level of most people on this forum. In fact, sometimes I wish I could reduce the power in favor of more throttle control especially at an autocross. I tune my car to my preferences. Car and driver must be in harmony.
Yes, you nailed it. That was just an inside joke for some that know DDaryl's fanatical feelings against mods
Old 11-20-2013, 03:24 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
Stock is boring.
after spending countless thousands racing, pulling engines, popping holes in pistons, taking out synchros, mowing through tires and brake pads among other things with track cars; you start to appreciate the reliability of stock
Old 11-20-2013, 03:30 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racebum
after spending countless thousands racing, pulling engines, popping holes in pistons, taking out synchros, mowing through tires and brake pads among other things with track cars; you start to appreciate the reliability of stock
True, but as the other post said, stock isn't fun. Stock is vanilla. How exciting would a car meet be if all cars were stock? I suppose it could still be neat to see a Ferrari or a totally rare car or the older classics but to me it would take out of the picture much of what I enjoy about this game
Old 11-20-2013, 04:10 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
Yeah, but every C-5 you see is just like yours. I've gone to car shows, and I don't even slow my pace, when I see a stock anything. At least from 1955-up. I don't race anymore, so it's just because I can.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:21 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

It's not the car that makes it fun. It's the driver. If you can't make a 350 hp car with excellent handling an absolute blast, then you're not doing something right.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:22 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by bj1k
Who cares ? He's still driving ugly ! I'm fortunate, I'm one of those guys that drives a Corvette for it's styling and not impressed with those fart cans. If they built those cars with the styling of our Corvettes I'm sure some of you here on this forum would convert but I would have to ask why ?
I dunno..if I was in the market for a 4 door family hauler the Hyundai would be on top of my list
Old 11-20-2013, 04:45 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

This thread, and the OP's experience; are exactly why I've been seriously contemplating an A & A supercharger for my 2003 C5 next spring.

I'm past the age of ever 'tracking' my car, but don't ever want something like 'that' to happen to me.....
In a couple of months, I'll be living just a few miles from A & A, in LA area. I plan to talk to those guys about an install of a SC, with a mild tune; so that I do not experience what the OP did; from a 4 door sedan.....

If another Vette, or Porsche, or some similar car did that to me; I'd give him a thumbs up; and not feel bad at all. But a Hyundai; I wouldn't sleep for weeks.......

Get notified of new replies

To Lost to a Hyundai....

Old 11-20-2013, 04:55 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
I've always felt that increasing your car's performance to keep current(or in my case EXCEED) horsepower that most new performance cars have. NO ONE is going to pull next to me and anticipate this old C5 to perform at 1998 levels. Just saying, they better bring their A game.
I was thinking the exact same thing Rick...
Old 11-20-2013, 04:56 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by donald4972
This thread, and the OP's experience; are exactly why I've been seriously contemplating an A & A supercharger for my 2003 C5 next spring.

I'm past the age of ever 'tracking' my car, but don't ever want something like 'that' to happen to me.....
In a couple of months, I'll be living just a few miles from A & A, in LA area. I plan to talk to those guys about an install of a SC, with a mild tune; so that I do not experience what the OP did; from a 4 door sedan.....

If another Vette, or Porsche, or some similar car did that to me; I'd give him a thumbs up; and not feel bad at all. But a Hyundai; I wouldn't sleep for weeks.......
if you get busted for street racing you may not sleep for weeks either....

that being said .....

Name:  VetteJan06004Medium.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:  VetteJan06002Medium.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  88.6 KB

Old 11-20-2013, 04:56 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...an-test-review

According to Car and Driver numbers you must suck at driving.

Quick Reply: Lost to a Hyundai....