Sponsored by:

So I got this ticket....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:54 PM
splattt7272
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default So I got this ticket....

Has anyone ever got a ticket for driving with the day time lights on. Or told that they are not adequate to use during day time hours. I was coming back from Vegas yesturday and a cop pulled me over. He said Do you know why I pulled you over and I said"I have no idea". He said it's not for speeding. That's cool so why. He said that he pulled me over because I didn't have my headlights on. I said that my daytime driving lights are on. He claimes that the factory lights don't meet the requirements of the law. He said if I was driving a Chevy that that would be ok. I said this is a Chevy... Duh. As he was writing me the ticket we were passed by a number of folks with no lights on as well as the daylight driving lights on. So I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten such a ticket. I am going to go to court just to get clairification. It is a $75 fine plus 2 points on the liscence, I get 4 points because I hold a CDL. Blows
Old 12-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

It sounds to me like the cop doesn't know the law.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:14 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like you got one of those "I'll make up the law as I go, cause if it isn't, it should be" Cops.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:19 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds to me like Mr. LEO was fishing for something.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

As one who spent half my life in law enforcement, it sounds like total BS to me. I'd take a couple of pictures of your car with the lights on for court. I'd also provide some type of documentation showing that's how Corvettes come from the factory. You might also want to take a copy of the weather conditions for the area around the time you received the ticket. Personally, I'd think running lights would make your car more visible during the day and they'd want you to have them on. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Such a stupid reason for him to pull you over... Sucks that you have to waste time going to court to fight a ticket that shouldn't have been issued.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:35 PM
obnoxus
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I would go a step further,,,, go to his department ask for his sergeant to explain it to you!!

And then they can come to court with you for your lawsuit to GM,,,, because obviously GM doesn't know what they are doing

Last edited by obnoxus; 12-12-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:39 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There must be more to this story.....
Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Mr.TT
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '15-'16

What time of the day was it?

I'm confused by your post, are you saying that you got pulled over because there were lights on but they were too dim, or was the cop saying that your DRLs were inadequate because conditions warranted actual headlights?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.TT

I'm confused by your post, are you saying that you got pulled over because there were lights on but they were too dim, or was the cop saying that your DRLs were inadequate because conditions warranted actual headlights?
Was it raining?
Nevada has a law (similar to California's) that requires that headlights be on if the windshield wipers are in operation...and no, DRLs aren't enough.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:51 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ummm what? I would fight that crap.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

Was it on a stretch of road were there was a "Headlights on for the next ___ miles" sign?
In this county we have a few 7-10 mile stretches of road were headlights are required because they are considered dangerous roads, I would say I see about 75% of vehicles on those roads with lights on, the other 25% could be ticketed if the LEO wanted to pull them over for it.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:59 PM
lion149
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also fight this ticket. Assuming you are providing all of the information, this is a BS ticket for sure.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:05 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There was definitely something going on to where he wanted to make a contact.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:05 PM
fwrogg
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

probably get tossed as soon as he gets to court. just a big waste of his time and a waste of tax payer dollars.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:15 PM
splattt7272
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr.TT

It was clear weather and about 3pm. He said that he couldn't see the lights therefore they were inadequate. He was entering the road from a side road. I got out of the car with him and he asked me if I could see the lights. I said no, but we were standing right in front of the car not 10 or twenty feet away. He said that they are broken. I went to the justice court that was about 15 miles away and tried to get the judge or someone to look at it and they just said that they couldn't be cause it was an open case. BS. So I will go to court next month to contest. Just sucks that it is a 100 mile trip for nothing.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:20 PM
splattt7272
Instructor

Originally Posted by Keith Richards
Was it on a stretch of road were there was a "Headlights on for the next ___ miles" sign?
In this county we have a few 7-10 mile stretches of road were headlights are required because they are considered dangerous roads, I would say I see about 75% of vehicles on those roads with lights on, the other 25% could be ticketed if the LEO wanted to pull them over for it.
It is on a strip that is marked. But the question was asked about the other vehicles that had there driving lights on and not headlights and I got no real answer. Thats why I went to the court. The Deputy just implied that it was pretty much his choice. And when I pointed out the other cars passing us with no lights on or with thier driving lights on he just said that he might have to go have a talk with them... I wish I was speeding, that would have made me feel better.

Just wanted to add, most of the state of Nevada has lights required. I have driven north and south many times, like almost weekly, with just the Daytime lights on. Never been question. Even when I was going a little fast. Most NHP's just wave and go on. If it was an issue they would have pulled me over prior. And I have traveled the same road for thousands of miles with no questions. I think it had to do with the angle that he was sitting and the car sitting so close to the ground.

And it's not the $75 that I'm pissed about it's the freakin points. 4 points because he didn't like my lights.

Last edited by splattt7272; 12-12-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: comment

Get notified of new replies

To So I got this ticket....

Old 12-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

That is the most idiotic ticket I have ever read about on this forum. This is what happens when an officer is bored.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:34 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just be thankful he didn't find that dead hooker in the trunk...
Old 12-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by splattt7272
It is on a strip that is marked. But the question was asked about the other vehicles that had there driving lights on and not headlights and I got no real answer. Thats why I went to the court. The Deputy just implied that it was pretty much his choice. And when I pointed out the other cars passing us with no lights on or with thier driving lights on he just said that he might have to go have a talk with them... I wish I was speeding, that would have made me feel better.
If the sign did have a reference that included "Headlights on" In my experience with courts if you go my guess is the judge will ask you directly if you had your headlights on? and they were not he will find you guilty. Sorry but I was pulled over for a similar thing many years back and when I asked the officer that was writing the ticket about all the others going bye he replied "can't get them all, have a nice day, oh and press hard your making 3 copies" .
I feel for you on the points, hopefully you can go to traffic school to keep those off your record.

Quick Reply: So I got this ticket....