Sponsored by:

FOB problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default FOB problems

Well it happened.... the FOB battery died so I replaced it. Now the FOB won't resync or relearn.

Do I need a new FOB ?
Old 12-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

What year car? On the newer fobs, the clip that holds the battery has an incredibly flimsy solder joint to the circuit board: could be it broke loose while changing the battery.

(Same may also be true for the older fobs, but I've never seen one so I have no idea.)
Old 12-14-2013, 06:32 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

You might also check to make sure you have the battery right side up and seated properly. I'd also measure the voltage (3v) on the battery to be sure you didn't get a dead one.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Ordered a replacement fob..... oh well, we'll see how this goes.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Well hell..... got a new fob and the car still won't train it.... WTF is going on !?!?!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:39 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Did you get the correct fob for a 2000 (assuming that's what you have)? Does one fob train and not the other? Does the DIC come up with "train another fob" after the first one trains?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:15 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

did you hold the lock and unlock buttons down for 10 seconds (or less) simultaneously near the car? That always works for me on my '97. The horn will beep when synced.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Did you get the correct fob for a 2000 (assuming that's what you have)? Does one fob train and not the other? Does the DIC come up with "train another fob" after the first one trains?
Yes I got the correct fob. The numbers on the new fob match the OEM one I have. The cars system WON'T train the original or the new one....

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
did you hold the lock and unlock buttons down for 10 seconds (or less) simultaneously near the car? That always works for me on my '97. The horn will beep when synced.
Yes and nothing works.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:59 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
Yes I got the correct fob. The numbers on the new fob match the OEM one I have. The cars system WON'T train the original or the new one....

Yes and nothing works.
ok, here's a wild one, but you might try a new CAR battery. I just put a new one in and all sorts of weird gremlins disappeared. I was running an optima that was slightly discharged and I didn't know it....maybe around 10 volts or so, car would start fine, but other things just weren't working right. Once I put the new battery in, it's like a brand new car. Problems I was having were with the A/C controller, CD deck, etc. All were magically fixed with a new battery. I think the PCM reads a lot of voltage inputs, and if they are below a certain threshold you get gremlins.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:14 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Sinister-one

Yes and nothing works.
Are your TPM sensors in the tires the originals?
Old 12-22-2013, 10:14 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

Are you getting tire pressure read outs ok on the dic? The receiver that receives the signal from the fob also picks up the signal from the tpms. Just trying to eliminate that as the problem.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
ok, here's a wild one, but you might try a new CAR battery. I just put a new one in and all sorts of weird gremlins disappeared. I was running an optima that was slightly discharged and I didn't know it....maybe around 10 volts or so, car would start fine, but other things just weren't working right. Once I put the new battery in, it's like a brand new car. Problems I was having were with the A/C controller, CD deck, etc. All were magically fixed with a new battery. I think the PCM reads a lot of voltage inputs, and if they are below a certain threshold you get gremlins.
I'm not replacing a perfectly good battry...

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Are your TPM sensors in the tires the originals?
Yes they are and they work great.

Originally Posted by rrichar2591
Are you getting tire pressure read outs ok on the dic? The receiver that receives the signal from the fob also picks up the signal from the tpms. Just trying to eliminate that as the problem.
the TPS are working just fine...
Old 01-29-2014, 11:06 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Okay, one month later and I STILL can't get either FOB to work..... I'm at a loss here....

Any ideas guys ??
Old 01-30-2014, 01:13 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If you have a 2000 it takes the old fobs and receiver. I think they had problems with the receiver. You could get the update kit from GM Parts house. I may have the old receiver from my 98. It worked when I took it out.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

So what's the cost of replacing my anti theft system ???
Old 01-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Groveman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try reprogramming it using the DIC instead of just holding the lock and unlock buttons together?

Matching Transmitter(s) To Your Vehicle
(NOTE: You can perform the matching procedure on your own and do not need to go to a dealer to have this done.)

Each remote keyless entry transmitter is coded to prevent another transmitter from unlocking your vehicle. If a transmitter is lost or stolen, a replacement can be purchased through your dealer. Remember to bring any remaining transmitters with you when you go to your dealer. When the dealer matches the replacement transmitter to your vehicle, any remaining transmitters must also be matched. Once your dealer has coded the new transmitter, the lost transmitter will not unlock your vehicle. Each vehicle can have only three transmitters matched to it. To match transmitters to your vehicle:

1. Turn the ignition key to ON.

2. Clear any warning messages on the Driver Information Center (DIC) by pressing the RESET button.

3. Press the OPTIONS button on the DIC several times until the blank page is displayed, then press and hold the RESET button for two seconds.

4. When the message FOB TRAINING is displayed, push the RESET button once. The message HOLD LK + UNLK 1ST FOB in the DIC will be displayed.

5. Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 15 seconds.

6. When a transmitter is learned (matched), the DIC will display FOB LEARNED and then prompt you to learn the next transmitter.

7. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 for each additional transmitter.

8. Remove the key from the ignition.

The programming mode will shut off if:

You don’t program any transmitters for two minutes.

You take the key out of the ignition.

You have programmed three transmitters.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

I've done all of the above.... and I still get nothing.

I'll sit in the car holding both buttons and eventually the DIC reads "exiting training".

Nothing I try works.

Get notified of new replies

To FOB problems

Old 01-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

The tire pressure sensor works off the same receiver as the fobs, so if the tire pressures display correctly, it eliminates the receiver and cabling as the problem. There could still be a problem inside the BCM, but I'd expect anything there to also affect the interior power-lock buttons.
(The exterior key-lock and interior manual locks thankfully are just mechanical linkages, otherwise life would get very interesting in some failure modes.)

Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 01-30-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You can also add several pounds of air to one tire and then take the car for a spin and see if the DIC sees the added tire pressure. Just relying on numbers showing in the DIC for pressure does NOT prove that the change info is being forwarded.
Will the DIC still display a pressure if the TPMS hasn't gotten a valid reading from the sensor in some time? (I'm under the impression that the normal update rate once the car is moving is once a minute or so.)
Old 01-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Just to make sure we're all on the same page:
1. old fob died, new battery did not fix
2. new fob doesn't work either
3. TPMS works
4. interior power locks work.
That's only two fobs, right? It's impossible that the new one is bad too, also not impossible that it was delivered with a dead battery since it may have been sitting on a shelf for ten years. You tried a fresh battery in the new fob, right?

Quick Reply: FOB problems