Sponsored by:

Removing RPO Code Label from Glove Box Door

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Default Removing RPO Code Label from Glove Box Door

Anyone have an idea on how I might be able to remove it without ripping it to shreads? I may have to replace my Gove Box door and from what I saw there is no way to take it apart so I can retain the inner panel.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Not sure how you can take the label off without damaging it, but here's a thought. Take a good quality digital pic of the label and then go to a sign shop and ask them if they can upload the pic and then print you a new label. I have had very good luck with a local sign shop recreating labels based on a picture I provided.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:23 PM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Anyone have an idea on how I might be able to remove it without ripping it to shreads? I may have to replace my Gove Box door and from what I saw there is no way to take it apart so I can retain the inner panel.
I would assume you are removing the RPO label due to glove box door replacement? Unless the door is that bad I would suggest leaving the label alone. I looked at a great Vet with out the RPO sticker and it just did not feel right. In my opinion it would greatly reduce the integrity of the car.
Maybe a heat gun would be to your advantage here. VERY SLOW peel with minimal heat if you really have to replace the door.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:24 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jlaw1313@comcast.net
I would assume you are removing the RPO label due to glove box door replacement? Unless the door is that bad I would suggest leaving the label alone. I looked at a great Vet with out the RPO sticker and it just did not feel right. In my opinion it would greatly reduce the integrity of the car.
Maybe a heat gun would be to your advantage here. VERY SLOW peel with minimal heat if you really have to replace the door.
I have to check but if my numb skull serves me correctly the hinge portion that's attached to the door is whats broken so the door would have to be replaced.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:44 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If you try to remove it, it will delaminate. Make a copy and keep the old door as part of your documentation.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:22 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

I have the same issue. I have a 2002 Z06 mod red interior in my 99 FRC. I still have my original parts but would like to have the label somewhat correct. I haven't changed out the glove box lock let either.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jlaw1313@comcast.net
I looked at a great Vet with out the RPO sticker and it just did not feel right. In my opinion it would greatly reduce the integrity of the car.
Ok, I'm just not seeing that. If we're talking about some hyper-rare collector car, sure.

But for a normal C5, about the only option that isn't obvious from a visual inspection is diff ratio, and that will show up in a test drive. Take a picture of the label and move on: it just doesn't make sense to let a 2"x3" piece of paper stand in the way of a needed repair.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 PM
85corvettec4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have to replace my door due to plastic failure. right there with ya
Old 01-03-2014, 02:08 PM
T5Mika
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Ok, I'm just not seeing that. If we're talking about some hyper-rare collector car, sure.

But for a normal C5, about the only option that isn't obvious from a visual inspection is diff ratio, and that will show up in a test drive. Take a picture of the label and move on: it just doesn't make sense to let a 2"x3" piece of paper stand in the way of a needed repair.
Also the diff ratio is tagged on the diff itself. (Unless the diff has been modified, in which case the sticker would be wrong too.)
Old 01-03-2014, 03:04 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Taking a quality picture and improving it in photo shop, then reprint is the best way. If you do it right as suggested above, it will be almost a perfect replica. I used the same technique on my motorcycle gas tank emblem and it turned out awesome. My local sign shop also improved it before they printed it on sticker paper.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:30 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The Service Parts Identification sticker is printed from the back side of the label. If you try to remove the label, it may come off in one piece, but the chances are that the characters will stay on the label carrier or the lid itself.

The sticker has a GM part number, but even ordering one, it will be blank. IIRC, there used to be a website where you could get a reproduction sticker but you had to provide the RPO codes, VIN and paint code information if you wanted it to look "stock". If you look at what each of the codes represent, some of them really don't have anything to do with options. Many of the codes deal with pieces and parts that are parts of other components, and some codes deal with documentation or production information.

I think your best bet would be to replace the entire console lid and keep the original. I would also suggest that you get copies of the window sticker and build sheet from the National Corvette Museum. If you join the NCM first, you can get the member pricing for the two documents.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I swapped my oak door for a black one. Previous owner of the black door tried to remove his sticker. From the looks of it I will say you can not remove these stickers. They are not a typical normal gum backed sticker. I have yet to figure out how to remove the rest of the remains. I'm at the point where I'm considering paint. Goofoff melts the plastic so i gave up that option. So for now I've taken several pictures of my sticker. I'd rather have no sticker than the peeled off streaks I have on the black door.

The lock was easy to swap. You need the key though to turn the lock or be able to pick the lock, which I had to do on the black door.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:12 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Thanks all for the suggestions / tips. I think I'm going to take the route of taking a good Digital Picture of it and have one made that I can place over the one thats on the replacement door. I will also hold on to the original door if any questions arise !
Thanks again Guys !
Old 01-04-2014, 08:59 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you take the door off you can also have the sticker shop scan it, no flash glare or anything that way.

s
Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 PM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have experience with E.C.S. Automotive? Apparently they are authorized by GM to produce reproduction labels, including the RPO/Service Parts Identification label:

http://www.ecsvin.com/order.php

Not exactly cheap at $79, but could be an option.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:31 AM
Indycar22
Navigator

Default NO Luck w/RPO

I contacted ECSVin as the forum suggested. The label on my newly acquired 2000 Convertible was removed by a previous owner and I wanted to replace it. ECS said at first, because I was not a commercial enterprise, they would not sell to me. Then they said that they can only replicate what is already there. I explained that there was nothing there. I asked if I got the the build sheet and window sticker from the museum if they could make one from that. They said they don't know how to read either and would not know what codes to put on the label.
So now I'm stuck unless someone can point me towards a better solution.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:19 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Indycar22
I contacted ECSVin as the forum suggested. The label on my newly acquired 2000 Convertible was removed by a previous owner and I wanted to replace it. ECS said at first, because I was not a commercial enterprise, they would not sell to me. Then they said that they can only replicate what is already there. I explained that there was nothing there. I asked if I got the the build sheet and window sticker from the museum if they could make one from that. They said they don't know how to read either and would not know what codes to put on the label.
So now I'm stuck unless someone can point me towards a better solution.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Here is what I would do: I would contact the the Corvette Action Center via phone when ordering build sheet and window sticker. Then explain to them that the RPO Label is missing from your car, you have a reputable source for a replacement and you would like to know if someone there can give you all of the codes that's deciphered from the build sheet / window sticker and ask them if they could enclose the codes on a Action Center letter head so when you send or fax it to ECS they have a legitimate document to work off of.
The following 2 users liked this post by SG Lou:
Indycar22 (01-20-2017), Pounder (01-13-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Removing RPO Code Label from Glove Box Door

Old 01-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

mine is there but un-readable !!!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:45 AM
99blue frc
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can only read the bottom row on my sticker
Old 01-14-2017, 10:03 PM
Indycar22
Navigator

Default Museum Help?

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Here is what I would do: I would contact the the Corvette Action Center via phone when ordering build sheet and window sticker. Then explain to them that the RPO Label is missing from your car, you have a reputable source for a replacement and you would like to know if someone there can give you all of the codes that's deciphered from the build sheet / window sticker and ask them if they could enclose the codes on a Action Center letter head so when you send or fax it to ECS they have a legitimate document to work off of.

I contacted Betty at the museum and she said that ECS was their source and she couldn't help me. If the Corvette Action Center is not one in the same then I'll give it a try. I find it very hard to believe that even the museum with all their expertise, can't tell me from the build sheet or window sticker, what codes should go on the label. If all ECS can do is print from a picture, then what is the point? Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Quick Reply: Removing RPO Code Label from Glove Box Door