Sponsored by:

Battery maintainer question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:41 AM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Default Battery maintainer question.

So I visit my Corvette in stortage that have not seen in 3 weeks and the battery maintainer is running. I understand it has been running for the 3 weeks at a 2 amp setting. It is supposed to shut off when fully charged. It did not. What kind if any damage can be expected to battery? Greetings, Rob
Old 03-09-2014, 12:09 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been wondering the same thing.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:23 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Is the charger supposed to just turn off once when charged or to turn on and off to maintain the battery charged? Maybe it had just began to charge when you showed up?

Better look to see if it overcharged the battery and spilled acid out. If it did you better address that issue immediately. The PCM is below the battery. If you need any guidance on how to clean up any acid spill let us know.

Most of us use a trickle charger that is not designed to charge the battery but to just maintain the charge.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:50 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Reasons why I pull the battery out and store it in the basement over the winter.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:50 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Depends upon the device that you are using whether it will shut off or float the charge when the battery is fully charged. I have a very old 1 amp trickle charger that does not shut off so you have to constantly monitor the battery to determine when to disconnect it. I also have several tender type devices that will maintain the battery at full charge once the battery is fully charged, The device does not shut off fully but rather the electronics in it stop the charging process and monitor the charge level. When the battery drops below a certain point the maintainer starts the charge process again until fully charged.

You need to determine how yours works. 2 amps seems a little high for a maintainer as most I have seen are 1.5 amps or less. But, read the information that came with your device. They should specify just how it works. If it is simply a charger, I suggest you look for a maintainer/tender style device.....

A device that does not float the charge can boil the electrolyte from the battery and damage it. If the battery has removeable covers over the electrolyte, remove them and inspect that the plates are covered by the electrolyte. If not you can try adding some distilled water and then recharge the battery. Do NOT add acid.
What he said!

I've had the "original" battery tender:

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-...-021-0128.html

For years now & no issues. It's a "smart" device which does what 8VETTE7 describes above. It charges then goes into a float mode. This keep the battery nice & fresh & no damage. I actually have three of the one I posted the link to. I've had them in service for 5 + years.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:08 PM
ironranger
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
Reasons why I pull the battery out and store it in the basement over the winter.
This is what I do over the winter as well!
I use a ctek during the summer, however, I feel better pulling the battery out during the winter. Just don't trust leaving the ctek plugged in all winter with the car covered while in storage for fear of a malfunction during the 5 months it is unattended and having damage caused from battery acid leakage.
This is a very remote possibility but it allows me to sleep at night!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:26 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ironranger
This is what I do over the winter as well!
I use a ctek during the summer, however, I feel better pulling the battery out during the winter. Just don't trust leaving the ctek plugged in all winter with the car covered while in storage for fear of a malfunction during the 5 months it is unattended and having damage caused from battery acid leakage.
This is a very remote possibility but it allows me to sleep at night!
Me too. You really don't know what is going on under there for 5 months and electrical devices have been known to fail. No possible chance for battery damage if it isn't in the car.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 3318C5
What he said!

I've had the "original" battery tender:

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-...-021-0128.html

For years now & no issues. It's a "smart" device which does what 8VETTE7 describes above. It charges then goes into a float mode. This keep the battery nice & fresh & no damage. I actually have three of the one I posted the link to. I've had them in service for 5 + years.
This is the same one I bought. It's my first time storing a car but my dad has been using this same one on his motorcycle for years now without any problems.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,276 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Depends upon the device that you are using whether it will shut off or float the charge when the battery is fully charged.

You need to determine how yours works. 2 amps seems a little high for a maintainer as most I have seen are 1.5 amps or less. But, read the information that came with your device. They should specify just how it works. If it is simply a charger, I suggest you look for a maintainer/tender style device.....

A device that does not float the charge can boil the electrolyte from the battery and damage it. If the battery has removeable covers over the electrolyte, remove them and inspect that the plates are covered by the electrolyte. If not you can try adding some distilled water and then recharge the battery. Do NOT add acid.

Originally Posted by 3318C5
What he said!

I've had the "original" battery tender.

I use the Battery Tender Plus also and have done so for many years with no problems. And I leave my battery in the car when stored for the winter.

What makes you think the maintainer has been running for the entire time?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Battery maintainer

I use a battery maintainer too but just to be sure I have it hooked up to a plug in timer and it is set to work for only 10 hours each day. This way I do not have to worry about cooking the battery. This system has worked well for the past four years (same battery). My vette is out of service for about 3.5 months (more or less, depending) each winter.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:12 AM
El original
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the responses. I have used this maintainer for 3 years and no issue. I started the car 3 weeks ago leaving the maintainer hooked up but un plugged from the 120 volt current. Maybe I damaged it by leaving it hooked to the battery when running car, that is why it charges constantly or maybe it just happened that I came across it when it is charging. A friend suggested hood or interior light not turning off. I will have to check these possibilities also. A timer for 10 hours is a great idea...or removing or at least unhooking posts is also excellent suggestions. Who needs the stress! Thankyou to all that responded. Greetings,Rob
Old 03-10-2014, 12:37 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a Schumacher Model: XM1-5 1.5A maintainer from wally world for $19.99, and hooked it up to my 87 and its on a float, so far so good battery fully charged and in maintain mode.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:59 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by El original
Thanks for the responses. I have used this maintainer for 3 years and no issue. I started the car 3 weeks ago leaving the maintainer hooked up but un plugged from the 120 volt current. Maybe I damaged it by leaving it hooked to the battery when running car, that is why it charges constantly or maybe it just happened that I came across it when it is charging. A friend suggested hood or interior light not turning off. I will have to check these possibilities also. A timer for 10 hours is a great idea...or removing or at least unhooking posts is also excellent suggestions. Who needs the stress! Thankyou to all that responded. Greetings,Rob
GM recommends the battery be disconnected if the car is not run for more than 3 weeks. There is no recommendation to use a battery tender. Battery tenders are relatively new and there was no need for them before they were invented. I wonder if their increased popularity has contributed to the frequent electronic problems reported today.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Deleted comment, misunderstood response.

Last edited by dadaroo; 03-10-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Deleted, misunderstood a response.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:53 PM
c5coast
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by El original
So I visit my Corvette in stortage that have not seen in 3 weeks and the battery maintainer is running. I understand it has been running for the 3 weeks at a 2 amp setting. It is supposed to shut off when fully charged. It did not. What kind if any damage can be expected to battery? Greetings, Rob
I garaged my corvette over 18 months ago and put a Battery Tender Plus on it with no issues. I do start it at least once a month and run the A/C and get the fluids up to temp for 20-30 minutes with no issues. Check all gauges and haven't noticed any abnormalities. Power light (Green lamp) is on everytime I go in the garage.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:34 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Just spoke to a tech at the store I purchased maintainer. He says if it was over charging a rotten egg smell would be obvious. He is convinced there is no issue and has had no problems with returns of battery maintainers. I bought a new maintainer (very reasonable price) will check and see if I think I should replace existing one. This fall storage I will remove battery terminal and store it that way.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:11 AM
Grainraiser
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just brought my car out of storage today. My tender was turned off by accident and the battery was dead. I put it on the charger and gets up to 75%. The car starts with no issue but now my FOB does not work. I found last winter that my FOB will not work if my battery is not fully charged. I have heard that you have to charge batteries in tandem to get them to take a full charge. Can anyone offer any advice on this.

Reggie

Get notified of new replies

To Battery maintainer question.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Grainraiser
I just brought my car out of storage today. My tender was turned off by accident and the battery was dead. I put it on the charger and gets up to 75%. The car starts with no issue but now my FOB does not work. I found last winter that my FOB will not work if my battery is not fully charged. I have heard that you have to charge batteries in tandem to get them to take a full charge. Can anyone offer any advice on this.

Reggie
Another reason to remove battery over the winter. If it got really cold the battery could have froze and leaked acid causing expensive damage. Best to follow manufacturer recommendations and disconnect battery and remove if storing for more than three weeks.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
GM recommends the battery be disconnected if the car is not run for more than 3 weeks. There is no recommendation to use a battery tender. Battery tenders are relatively new and there was no need for them before they were invented. I wonder if their increased popularity has contributed to the frequent electronic problems reported today.
GM now offers a battery maintainer as an option when you buy a new Corvette (and has done so for a few years now).

The frequent electronic problems are from the mass of electronics. It's pretty tough to compare a new car with electronic everything to an older one. The reason why the maintainers are needed is all the electronics slowly draining the battery. Older cars simply didn't have all the stuff draining the battery to begin with.

I actually plug a charger in occasionally on my daily driver vehicles. Usually when I'm cleaning them out. You would be surprised at how long the battery will take a charge on even a daily driven vehicle sometimes. Especially one with a high electronic load like my Navigator. It has air suspension, navigation, heated and cooled seats, front and rear AC, power lift gate, power folding mirrors, rear DVD, etc. That thing always accepts a charge.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:12 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
GM now offers a battery maintainer as an option when you buy a new Corvette (and has done so for a few years now).

The frequent electronic problems are from the mass of electronics. It's pretty tough to compare a new car with electronic everything to an older one. The reason why the maintainers are needed is all the electronics slowly draining the battery. Older cars simply didn't have all the stuff draining the battery to begin with.

I actually plug a charger in occasionally on my daily driver vehicles. Usually when I'm cleaning them out. You would be surprised at how long the battery will take a charge on even a daily driven vehicle sometimes. Especially one with a high electronic load like my Navigator. It has air suspension, navigation, heated and cooled seats, front and rear AC, power lift gate, power folding mirrors, rear DVD, etc. That thing always accepts a charge.
C5 owners manual recommends disconnecting battery for storage. This prevents drain on battery. The above posts prove that removing the battery is the best option for long term storage. Tenders can cause more problems than they solve. They can have voltage fluctuations and power interruptions. A guy down the street had his garage and house burn down and the cause was an unattended battery charger. I will continue to remove the battery over the winter.
How much is the GM battery maintainer option? Did they offer it because so many Vette owners think they need one?

Last edited by JR-01; 03-11-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Battery maintainer question.