Sponsored by:

C5 Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:29 PM
jfqueen
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Starting Problem

I am having a random issue with starting my C5. About a year ago, it started acting up - just once in a while when you turn the key to start - nothing happens. Try it again from 1 to maybe 20 times and presto, it starts. Finally, about a month ago, it just wouldn't start at all, no matter how many times I tried. Dealer said I had a bad ignition switch (the part where the key goes in) and replaced it and all was good. A month later, and I'm having the intermittent issue with nothing happening when I turn the key to the start position. Dealer had the car for a week and it wouldn't fail for them... of course.
Any ideas?????
Old 01-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,801 Posts

It's possible the key itself might need to be replaced. If you have another key try using it for a while. The transponder in the key can become worn over time and will not register with the security system. I had the same problem myself until I switched to my backup key.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:18 PM
jfqueen
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 starting issue

Pretty sure it's not the pellet - I have 3 keys, including the new one the dealer gave me when he replaced the ignition switch. However, the code pull did find something interesting...

58 SDM B0090 H

From what I've read, this is the air bag control module, and indicates the active switch voltage is out of range. I'm pretty sure this problem only started occurring when I disabled the passenger air bag. The simple fix may be to just enable the air bag - think I'll wait till it acts up again and try that...

As for the security light, I bought the car used and that light has never worked. But the security system does seem to work.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Starting Problem

Quick Reply: C5 Starting Problem