Sponsored by:

Dangerous - Active Handling Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Dangerous - Active Handling Malfunction

This morning I was out on I-49 going pretty fast not crazy fast. Road is straight and smooth. Suddenly Active Handling came on and caused me to swerve into left lane. Scared the c$@p out of me! Pulled computer codes, shows C1287 H. Seems like this should be a recall. Has anybody else had this happen?
Old 01-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

A recall on a 10 year old (at least) steering wheel position sensor?
Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happened to me this week except it was my Yaw sensor lol easy fix
Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes it has happened to me on my 04. That is the SWPS going bad. Costs about $65.00 at www.gmpartshouse.com and takes about 2.5 to 3 hours to replace. Replaced mine and all is good now. Does get really scary when it pulls you when you don't expect it.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:51 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
A recall on a 10 year old (at least) steering wheel position sensor?
Safety issues can be subject to recall for extended time frame ie: This problem resulted in 10year / 100,000mi extended warranty

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...or-smells.html
Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I had to have my steering sensor replaced last spring.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Boy I hate to beat that poor dead horse But this is just another case of how the changes in the newer c5s are so much better then the early cars. Do not have AH and i am so glad....
Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by UM Rebel
Safety issues can be subject to recall for extended time frame ie: This problem resulted in 10year / 100,000mi extended warranty

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...or-smells.html
That was years ago, on a part that has no moving parts and doesn't wear.

I hope you can see the difference.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not comforting. I was hoping that AH could save my bacon someday while driving the 2 lane levee roads in my area. Now it looks like AH could very well put me into on-coming traffic or the Sacramento river! The weird thing is that just yesterday while driving my car the few blocks to my mechanic to have a Corsa exhaust installed, the Service Active Handling message came up in the DIC. I asked my mechanic (not a dealer) to check it out and he said when he looked for suspension codes nothing came up. I no longer get the Service AH message but, after reading this thread, I'm more than a little worried.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:41 PM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I know that most people swear by active handling, but I thank my lucky stars every day that my car does not have that option.
Anything that is designed into a vehicle such as active handling should have some kind of fail safe that totally disables it in the event that various parts of the system fail, especially if it can or could make changes in the current operation of the vehicle.
Definitely dangerous in my oppinion, how in the Hell can something like this happen nowadays.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:49 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You can pull the codes your self without any special tools. Here is how:

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

OR

Codes related to TC/AH will show up under
28 TCS

Codes are 5 characters long beginning with an alpha and followed by 4 numerics and then followed by an H or C or HC.
Thanks for this info, 8vette.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:50 PM
R2R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skydiven4fun
I know that most people swear by active handling, but I thank my lucky stars every day that my car does not have that option.
Anything that is designed into a vehicle such as active handling should have some kind of fail safe that totally disables it in the event that various parts of the system fail, especially if it can or could make changes in the current operation of the vehicle.
Definitely dangerous in my oppinion, how in the Hell can something like this happen nowadays.
Totally agree that default ought to inactivate the SWPS. I think this was a miss at design. A Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA) should have caught the failure mode during new product introduction. And you know since the AH was later eliminated engineering did know that failure would be serious, but did not come out with a TSB to make the cars with AH inactive. Should still be some liability, I think, if someone is hurt due to this.

Last edited by R2R; 01-08-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

This morning I was out on I-49 going pretty fast not crazy fast. Road is straight and smooth. Suddenly Active Handling came on and caused me to swerve into left lane. Scared the c$@p out of me! Pulled computer codes, shows C1287 H. Seems like this should be a recall. Has anybody else had this happen?

Questions ...

When you say it came on and caused you to swerve at speed into the left lane... Did you mean to say it caused "the car" to uncontrollably swerve into the left lane or did it indeed cause "you" to swerve into the left lane.

Curious to know exactly what happened mechanically and whether you feel that you could have overcome the swerve action if you weren't caught off guard??

I apologize in advance if it might seem that I am sharp shooting your statement or your actions in any way as that is not my intent.

Thanks...
Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET
Questions ...

When you say it came on and caused you to swerve at speed into the left lane... Did you mean to say it caused "the car" to uncontrollably swerve into the left lane or did it indeed cause "you" to swerve into the left lane.

Curious to know exactly what happened mechanically and whether you feel that you could have overcome the swerve action if you weren't caught off guard??

I apologize in advance if it might seem that I am sharp shooting your statement or your actions in any way as that is not my intent.

Thanks...
Curious as well did the steering wheel turn it self to the left or did a certain wheel causing it sverve off.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Rexde1
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I have heard of this before. Wouldnt turning off the traction control stop this?
Old 01-09-2014, 01:56 AM
CINNEMAN
Safety Car

St Jude Donor '14

Wow that would be scary Glad I have an early c5 without the option.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:38 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Originally Posted by B747VET
Questions ...

Thanks...
It caused the car to uncontrollably swerve into left lane. If it had been 2 lane highway would have put me in path of on coming traffic. My impression is that braking was applied to left rear. I did nothing. As I said was on smooth straight Interstate. I did not turn steering wheel in either direction until after it occurred to get back in right lane.

I guess if I had known the exact instant it would happen I could have corrected by steering to the right at that instant. Then again, that might have caused a spin out. I now have a post it note on dash reminding me to disable active handling until problem is resolved.

Get notified of new replies

To Dangerous - Active Handling Malfunction

Old 01-09-2014, 06:14 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

It caused the car to uncontrollably swerve into left lane. If it had been 2 lane highway would have put me in path of on coming traffic. My impression is that braking was applied to left rear. I did nothing. As I said was on smooth straight Interstate. I did not turn steering wheel in either direction until after it occurred to get back in right lane.

I guess if I had known the exact instant it would happen I could have corrected by steering to the right at that instant. Then again, that might have caused a spin out. I now have a post it note on dash reminding me to disable active handling until problem is resolved.
that's crazy
Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There have been several threads posted on this topic. Some members have stated they're now scared to death to operate their car based on this anomaly.

I have wondered what effort a driver would need to overtake control from the computer in order to straighten out his vehicle. In other words, to yank the wheel back into the proper lane, would that tell the failing AHS to re-engage and send the driver off-track again?

It is human nature to correct first and analyze later, and I'm just wondering the range of exertion and motion necessary to overcome such a failure.

Also, does a Service Active Handling message usually precede such failures? If so, would it be advisable to disengage AHS until one can safely get their vehicle serviced?
Old 01-09-2014, 03:36 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Been there - Done that.....and yes it is very scary. I was doing 70mph down the freeway when the car suddenly darted to the left. It turned out to be the steering wheel position sensor. If there was a way to completely remove AH from this car, I'd do it in a heartbeat. For now, I just turn off all nannies when I start up the car.

Quick Reply: Dangerous - Active Handling Malfunction