Print Wikipost

Budget C5 Track Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:44 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I have to say, in the most respectful way possible, that is probably the coolest looking "ugly" car I've ever seen. I bet it is tons of fun to drive, both track and street. Good job!
Old 01-05-2015, 05:05 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tdogg21
I have to say, in the most respectful way possible, that is probably the coolest looking "ugly" car I've ever seen. I bet it is tons of fun to drive, both track and street. Good job!
Thanks! I actually call her Ugly Betty, playing off my Z06 known as Black Betty. Hoping to get the wrap finished before we race at NCM in March, which will be another fun event. It really is a blast to drive, the car is very neutral and comfortable to drive at the limit, the reliability has been fantastic too which really helps make it fun. There's nothing worse than driving cross-country to race and fighting with issues all weekend, this car is all about staying on the track.

Here's a short in-car video from TWS, this was our fast lap of the weekend. Keep in mind that this was done in 4th gear around the whole track to save fuel, I'm confident that we could pick up a few seconds running all-out.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:39 AM
LateBreak
Pro

The car is getting an updated look, here's a crappy teaser pic from my phone.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:15 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Looking good...I love anything that has to do with a Corvette racing! Good luck!
Old 02-28-2015, 09:43 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Very nice new look. I am really impressed with your build thread. The car turned out great.

More pics of the new livery?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:15 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Read every word... and I am NOT a reader! Not much of a tech head either although I get the basic concepts... I dabble and tinker with cars and love playing with our C5.
But, this...this... is uh, entertaining, it's captivating, it's inspiring, it's innovative, it's refreshing, it's smart, it's addictive... shall I continue?
I absolutely loved watching this thread unfold, your dedication, creativity, documentation, and sense of humor, make a technically difficult, tedious, laborious, daunting task, seem like a seamless, well choreographed, planned and executed labor of love. I don't know your name or wouldn't know who you are if I met you on the street. But, this much I DO know... You are the kind of guy I want my Grandson to grow up to be like. The kind of guy that ANY father would be proud of...the kind of guy that I would love to just hang out with and at the very least come up with a whole new set of questions to ask...
Thank you for sharing your life with us...

Just sayin
Steve

I will be here...

Old 02-28-2015, 08:47 PM
doublec4
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts

Just wondering how much your HDPE splitter weighs? Have you looked into alumalite?

http://www.laminatorsinc.com/sign-pa...ucts/alumalite

Very cool build, I've enjoyed keeping up with it
Old 03-02-2015, 02:31 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Thanks guys!

73Corvette, what can I say, I'm blushing! I appreciate the kind words. Racing has been the one thing that really brought my dad and I together over the last 10-12 years I started racing with him and my brother in high school but went on the road racing with some friends of mine, it was a lot of fun but I was spending less and less time with my family which really bugged me. So, I pulled out of that and started doing endurance racing with dad a couple years ago, that's morphed into what you see here. My grandpa doesn't make it out too often since most of the races are out of state, but he enjoys coming to the one MN race that we usually run. It's a blast all around, fun being able to compete and put the skills to use that they taught me over the years.

More pics of the new livery below. I still need to get the spoiler fixed and bolted on but that's easier to do at home versus the bigger ticket items that need done at the shop. Anywho, here it is with the splitter re-mounted and the wrap finished, just missing contingency stickers and all that. The old splitter mounts were less than spectacular so I made a one-piece bar that sits behind the bumper cover. It has tubes that can pivot upward so if it bottoms out it won't damage the vertical strut tubes.

The new mount points also allow me to run Z06 screens without having to hack them up for the tubes to run through

Last edited by LateBreak; 03-02-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:35 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Originally Posted by doublec4
Just wondering how much your HDPE splitter weighs? Have you looked into alumalite?

http://www.laminatorsinc.com/sign-pa...ucts/alumalite

Very cool build, I've enjoyed keeping up with it
I'm actually still running plywood I haven't weighed it but plan to after the NCM race. It's currently 5/8" as that's what I had at the time (was actually a tool-board on the wall of a local GM dealership for 50+ years before I re-purposed it) but I have some new 1/2" stuff that will be lighter and look better but be just as strong. I have worked with alumalite but have stuck with plywood for durability and workability. When I was putting the car together I actually found an engineering paper that compared material strengths of various materials, plywood was really high on the list, only surpassed by carbon fiber and a couple other composites.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:54 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBreak
I'm actually still running plywood I haven't weighed it but plan to after the NCM race. It's currently 5/8" as that's what I had at the time (was actually a tool-board on the wall of a local GM dealership for 50+ years before I re-purposed it) but I have some new 1/2" stuff that will be lighter and look better but be just as strong. I have worked with alumalite but have stuck with plywood for durability and workability. When I was putting the car together I actually found an engineering paper that compared material strengths of various materials, plywood was really high on the list, only surpassed by carbon fiber and a couple other composites.
Have you thought of using the material they use for mats on the floor of a horse trailor?
Not sure about weight... but, it's durable, it's already black, fairly stiff, would flex if hit not just break or crack. You could probably make several splitters with one sheet... about the same thickness of what your using now and not very expensive.. I think you can get it at Tractor supply

This stuff is tough!!!!!!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...t?cm_vc=-10005

Last edited by 73Corvette; 03-02-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:52 PM
LateBreak
Pro

No luck on that stuff, too flexible and looks like about 100 lbs. The splitter serves a difficult role as it has to be sturdy enough to provide downforce but also resilient enough to withstand impact, while being light enough in weight to not overcome the advantage it provides. The plywood one on the car has been doing pretty well, I've had to patch it up a couple of times but so far it's seen over 40 hours of race time without failure
Old 03-02-2015, 04:04 PM
PitbullRescuer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome build. I usually don;t have the attention span to read an entire thread either but I just did. I've been wanting to do something similar for sometime now but don;t have half the skill or tools you do.

I have a ten year old son who loves cars much like I do. My dad got me into them, I got him into them. My wife hates my C5 but since he loves it so much it stays. I'm leaning toward building him a cart and getting him racing. As he gets older and moves up, maybe we'd be ready fro something like this.

Very impressed, best of luck with it.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Here are some pictures from the weekend at NCM Motorsports Park, I don't have time to caption or organize them now but will run back through them later, hopefully tonight.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:00 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Some local news coverage for being the first Corvette to race at the Corvette Museum track, kinda cool.

http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/M...296350901.html

http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/firs...1655258ac.html

Last edited by LateBreak; 03-17-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:47 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Your race car turned out nice...I am following your racing league on FB. Some nice pics over there also...
Old 03-17-2015, 07:58 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice interview and some cool footage in those reports. Congrats on being the first Vette to race at NCM. I am planning on an HPDE there in April... but I am scared of that track, after hearing about all the incidents there since it opened. Your thoughts on the track?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:05 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Originally Posted by tytek
Nice interview and some cool footage in those reports. Congrats on being the first Vette to race at NCM. I am planning on an HPDE there in April... but I am scared of that track, after hearing about all the incidents there since it opened. Your thoughts on the track?
I guess I haven't heard of any issues, but we really enjoyed the track. It's technical, tons of fun to drive. We were just on the West course and still had a blast, ditto for everyone else that I talked to. We'll be back next year I'm sure, looking forward to see the garages and scoring tower go up.

Get notified of new replies

To Budget C5 Track Build

Old 03-17-2015, 10:07 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Forgot to mention the staff were great too, super nice people who obviously enjoy being there.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:12 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm surprised you didn't do any differential work. Chances are the belleville washers are cracked. This is a big problem with c5's. You can get better replacement ones that will ensure your limited slip works properly - very important for racing.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-springs.html
Old 03-18-2015, 02:00 PM
0HoosierPE
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey LateBrake, great seeing you guys at the race this weekend and the car looked great!! This is the guy that was out there with camera in hand capturing the event. Jason of JPM Media, Hoosier Performance Engineering is my day time job and we had a sponsored car there racing the event to. I have some great photos of the car in action and should be wrapping them up this week.

Congrats on a job well done. Saturday was a horrible day for racers and photog's, but we were blessed with a beautiful day Sunday were we not!!

See ya at the next one guys.

Cheers,
Jason Massey
General Manager

Quick Reply: Budget C5 Track Build