Tint % of 1997 Glass Targa Top

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 12:12 PM
57gman
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Tint % of 1997 Glass Targa Top

I've decided to tint my windows and saw some other targa top vettes tinted and the top didn't match the sides and back window. I thought it looked different.

I'd like to have all three surfaces match, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

PS I have an all black interior which can get hot in the summer.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:17 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm not sure what the level of tint is on the top, You need to check your states tint laws first I have limo on the rear but they only allow 32% on side windows in Ga.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:19 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by 57gman
I've decided to tint my windows and saw some other targa top vettes tinted and the top didn't match the sides and back window. I thought it looked different.

I'd like to have all three surfaces match, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

PS I have an all black interior which can get hot in the summer.
In most places it would not be legal to have them that dark...don't know the percent of the top but if you can't see through it, it is most likely not legal.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:33 PM
57gman
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I live in PA and other pictures, maybe 100 plus of cars with 15% tinted windows on the tinting window company's website. Could I be pulled over in other states? Say Georgia ?

Last edited by 57gman; 01-26-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:51 PM
TintingKC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your local tint shops to see if any of them have a puck style meter. Its capable of metering things like this. Most shops do not carry them due to cost and little use. If you do find one though you can get the exact percentage. The color of the film is a bigger issue then the percentage. Even if you match the percentage they will still look different due to the two way mirror effect.

You can always get pulled over for something illegal in any state. As someone that has tinted for 18 years, tickets are on the rise each year that goes by.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:09 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TintingKC
Check your local tint shops to see if any of them have a puck style meter. Its capable of metering things like this. Most shops do not carry them due to cost and little use. If you do find one though you can get the exact percentage. The color of the film is a bigger issue then the percentage. Even if you match the percentage they will still look different due to the two way mirror effect.

You can always get pulled over for something illegal in any state. As someone that has tinted for 18 years, tickets are on the rise each year that goes by.

Tint tends to darken with age, so even if it was 50% or 30% or whatever when it came off the assembly line, it might be darker right now. If it isn't as dark as you'd like, you can put another layer of tint on it. When you layer tint, it tends to "multiply", for instance:

2 layers of 50% tint will end up with ~25% tint (.5 X .5 = .25).

Here's a comprehensive list of the tint laws per state:

http://tintlaws.com/
Old 01-26-2014, 07:04 PM
TintingKC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55

Tint tends to darken with age, so even if it was 50% or 30% or whatever when it came off the assembly line, it might be darker right now. If it isn't as dark as you'd like, you can put another layer of tint on it. When you layer tint, it tends to "multiply", for instance:

2 layers of 50% tint will end up with ~25% tint (.5 X .5 = .25).

Here's a comprehensive list of the tint laws per state:

http://tintlaws.com/
Tint actually fades to a lighter shade. Some films will fade to clear while others will fade to a blue or purple color. Some asian films even fade to grey or brown. The speed at which this happens varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. You also want to stay away from layering film. Layered film tends to be more prone to peeling and premature failing of the first layer.

You are correct about the percentages in a perfect world. Most films do not meter what is advertised. Many meter darker and some lighter. You also have to factor in the glass being 70% to start with. So a 39% film will typically meter 33.5 - 32% when installed on the glass.

It should be easy and simple but never is if your working for a specific number.

This chart is more accurate. http://www.iwfa.com/Portals/0/PDFDoc...aw%20Chart.pdf
That chart posted has a few flaws in it that should be fixed.

Not trying to beat your post up. Just wanted to correct a few things that weren't quite accurate.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:52 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TintingKC
Tint actually fades to a lighter shade. Some films will fade to clear while others will fade to a blue or purple color. Some asian films even fade to grey or brown. The speed at which this happens varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. You also want to stay away from layering film. Layered film tends to be more prone to peeling and premature failing of the first layer.

You are correct about the percentages in a perfect world. Most films do not meter what is advertised. Many meter darker and some lighter. You also have to factor in the glass being 70% to start with. So a 39% film will typically meter 33.5 - 32% when installed on the glass.

It should be easy and simple but never is if your working for a specific number.

This chart is more accurate. http://www.iwfa.com/Portals/0/PDFDoc...aw%20Chart.pdf
That chart posted has a few flaws in it that should be fixed.

Not trying to beat your post up. Just wanted to correct a few things that weren't quite accurate.
Thanks for correcting.

I have been told by several people that tint darkens, but I think they're referring to film tints specifically, and like you said, my understanding is they don't necessarily darken, but they turn purplish, and show up as a lower percentage on meters. I had a car which had 20% tint, and after about 5 years, a cop's meter showed it to be ~15% tint.

BTW, when I had 20% (well, 15% apparently) windows, I would just roll up to the inspection place with the windows down, and 9 times out of 10 the inspector wouldn't roll the windows up and never thought to check them.... Just throwing that out there.

Also most cops won't check the tint as long as your inspection is current, unless the tint is obviously super dark.

Get notified of new replies

To Tint % of 1997 Glass Targa Top

Quick Reply: Tint % of 1997 Glass Targa Top