Windshield Washer Pump Failure?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Windshield Washer Pump Failure?

Hey guys,

I did a search on here and as usual came up with everything except what I was trying to find.

My windshield washers have always worked flawlessly, however, we have had some brutal sub-zero weather here lately and when I hit the button today.......nothing! By the way, I checked and...not frozen, tank is full, no leaking to indicate cracks or other physical malfunctions.

It's too dark out to trouble-shoot it tonight, so I was wondering if there was anything common that happens to them that one of you may know about as a starting point.

Anybody know which fuse controls it and where it is (under hood or passenger footwell)? Is this fuse seperate from wipers as they are working just fine.

Thanks in advance guys.

DSTURBD
Old 02-11-2014, 08:29 PM
skull
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

maybe the large amount in the tank didn't freeze but the small amount left in the pump over night froze and broke the pump.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:36 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by skull
maybe the large amount in the tank didn't freeze but the small amount left in the pump over night froze and broke the pump.
Could be, and that will be a major bummer. I was hoping that it being garage-kept would keep that from happening.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 PM
skull
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

it doesn't make any sound when you hit the button. usually you can hear the motor

it may have popped the fuse too trying to push the sludgy washer fluid
Old 02-11-2014, 08:44 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by skull
it doesn't make any sound when you hit the button. usually you can hear the motor

it may have popped the fuse too trying to push the sludgy washer fluid
That's kinda what I was thinking and hoping for, so I was going to check the fuse first. Just need to find which one and where.

Don't have the service manuals. Guess I better finally crack off with some cash and get a set.

Thanks for the help!

DSTURBD
Old 02-11-2014, 09:27 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Barring any broken wires (to the pump) or corroded connector (at the pump) or bad ground, etc, your problem appears to be either the WW pump itself, or the wiper/washer switch on the stalk. The fuse you speak of is the same one shared by both the wiper motor AND the pump motor so, if your wipers work, the fuse is good.

HTH

Btw, the fuse is #10 (25A) in the toe-board fuse panel.

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 02-11-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:41 AM
WarrenM
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 C5 and I had to replace the WW pump about 6 months ago. As stated by LoneStar above the fuse is the #10 fuse under the toe board in the passenger foot well. The fuse controls both the wipers and the WW pump. If your wipers are working then the fuse must be good. This information is in your Corvette owners manual. Look in the back of the owners manual under "Fuses and Circuit Breakers" to check this info for your year C5. You probably need to replace the pump. Fortunately this is an easy 30 minute job. There are only 2 bolts holding the washer tank in the car. Remove the bolts and lift the tank up. The washer pump is underneath the tank. You will need to unplug the wire connecter to the pump and the water hose. Also, unplug the wire connecter to the low fluid level sensor on the back side of the tank. The rubber grommet that seals the pump to the tank is all that holds it in. Drain the fluid out of the tank. Grab the pump and wiggle it as you pull it out. I bought a new WW pump at Auto Zone for $26. Simply re-install everything in reverse order and your done.

Warren
Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 AM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks for the help guys, and Warren for the procedure. I figured that the fuse was shared by the wipers and the pump, but wasn't sure. Warren and Skull, yeah, I imagine that you are right and that the pump itself is bad. I have no reason to suspect the multi-switch which has been working perfectly and still seems to. However, the extreme cold is a definite factor that is likely to have caused problems. It is supposed to be fairly warm here this weekend so I will troubleshoot everything then. I will directly test the pump with jumper wires once I have access to it to be sure, before I buy any parts.

I'm glad to hear that the procedure is so straight-forward and simple. I diidn't figure that it would be too complex, but am glad to have it confirmed.

Thanks again guys for all the help!!

DSTURBD
Old 02-12-2014, 07:48 AM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait, they have a windshield washer!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:03 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by andrec10
Wait, they have a windshield washer!
I take it you didn't realize your garage queen had one?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:08 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DSTURBD
Thanks for the help guys, and Warren for the procedure. I figured that the fuse was shared by the wipers and the pump, but wasn't sure. Warren and Skull, yeah, I imagine that you are right and that the pump itself is bad. I have no reason to suspect the multi-switch which has been working perfectly and still seems to. However, the extreme cold is a definite factor that is likely to have caused problems. It is supposed to be fairly warm here this weekend so I will troubleshoot everything then. I will directly test the pump with jumper wires once I have access to it to be sure, before I buy any parts.

I'm glad to hear that the procedure is so straight-forward and simple. I diidn't figure that it would be too complex, but am glad to have it confirmed.

Thanks again guys for all the help!!

DSTURBD
When you go to test, try to be careful and not jam any probes (as from a meter, etc) into the connector as it can easily deform the pins and lead to poor contact in the future. Sometimes, depending on the connector, I'll take a small paper clip and insert it first, and then use the alligator clips on my meter to clip onto the paper clip, especially if a connector has pins that are recessed a bit into the connector body. Same would hold true for a test light probe.

HTH

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Washer Pump Failure?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Pump Failure?