Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

National Corvette Museum, Giant Sinkhole Formed, Corvettes Gone!!! (MERGED)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 12:16 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Since they are all glorified garage queens it won't matter if they manage to pull them out if the hole and repair the body damage. They just have to look pretty.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Drummingdad
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
That would account for the large number of bald cats I've seen in our neighborhood the past few months.
But I like bald........

Sorry. This just too easy. Never mind.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Drummingdad
But I like bald........

Sorry. This just too easy. Never mind.
The first thing I thought of was Brazilian hot waxes...
Old 02-13-2014, 01:20 PM
chevnut55
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think satan wanted the blue devil and was trying to claim some of his cars back.
Sucks, some rare historical cars were lost ,but at least all except the 62 they were not classics if something like a 63 grand sport or 67 427 were lost it would be worse.
The guy who donated it never even drove it in the rain, never know what will happen so drive it.
I been looking into sinkholes because Im house shopping in Fl. There are maps of limestone all over the usa.
I hope they got the other away from that hole..Id risk it to save mine.
I hope they can save some of the cars and keep them all safe, the only thing I regret is not picking my c6 up at the museum , but was planning to drive it there someday.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Choreo
No worries... I am sure they were covered by NCM Collector Insurance. Since they are never driven and kept in the garage, they are protected.
They dont cover acts of God.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

My home owners insurance specifically mentions that it doesn't cover sinkholes.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:11 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by jdot
You just don't understand what has happened. These 8 cars can't be "restored" being one of a kind. Some of us appreciate that fact while you apparently don't. It's your loss.
They said in the press conference that " Absolutely all of the cars will be saved. " All of those cars are special and anything can be repaired. If they were just cars like ours most would definitely be totaled but you just can't replace originality with another car , so I see them being rebuilt regardless of the cost. Actually when all is said and done , imagine the story that will go with the cars when they are displayed in the museum again. It will even be a bigger attraction.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:42 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
They said in the press conference that " Absolutely all of the cars will be saved. " All of those cars are special and anything can be repaired. If they were just cars like ours most would definitely be totaled but you just can't replace originality with another car , so I see them being rebuilt regardless of the cost. Actually when all is said and done , imagine the story that will go with the cars when they are displayed in the museum again. It will even be a bigger attraction.
You may be too late with that news. I am afraid the real enthusiasts here have already committed suicide.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:01 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I just read on the NCM site that GM is going to transport them to their plant in Michigan to repair them all when they get recovered.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 PM
bj454ss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bj1k

I'm sure the repair bill on an agreed upon value policy
will be less than if the cars were considered a total loss. So you bet the insurance company will gladly pay the repair bill.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 AM
orion007
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

From the helicopter shots it looks like that blue devil went straight down without any damage and landed right side up. That one should be a easy fix. It also looks like the '62 didn't take much damage.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:53 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Tuesday when I logged into Facebook I got a message saying that my graduating class was having a reunion in July... I told my wife I should take the Z06 and go visit the museum while I'm at it

Wednesday I log in and find out the museum has been victimized by a sinkhole... my dad told me not to tell anybody when I'm thinking about visiting him

Really, though, this is terrible for the Corvette community
Hopefully, they can stabilize the area and properly restore the cars to their former glory
Old 02-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by coia96vette
I just read on the NCM site that GM is going to transport them to their plant in Michigan to repair them all when they get recovered.
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/...-+MLive.com%29
Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I definitely will be going to the museum to see these cars when they are restored and put back on display. Probably going to be the biggest attraction for the museum since it originally opened. It's just a shame that it took this disaster to bring in the crowds.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:54 PM
ManuelCarrillo3
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Article: Corvette Forum Reacts to Sinkhole Disaster

February 12th, 2014: a day that will live in infamy for Corvette enthusiasts – a day the Earth’s crust decided to act the fool and swallow eight precious Corvettes. Major party foul, Planet Earth … you should know fiberglass is not part of a well-balanced diet. This major Corvette disaster has stirred the emotions of […]

More on the blog.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:46 PM
FL1BY
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Road Runner
Recovery - very doubtful. Looking at the photos you can only see parts of a few vehicles. To recover you will need cranes to lift the cars which will be hard to install given the bad foundation and close proximity to the sink hole itself. The cars are goners; and probably there will be major structural considerations for the museum itself.
For the cost of a very large crane and outriggers to retrieve the cars would be a huge gain for someone. 120K for the crane; and a lot of cars.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:53 PM
FL1BY
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
The cars themselves might be one of a kind, but their parts aren't.
There is a huge difference in Original and restored. No comparison. More fund raising in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To National Corvette Museum, Giant Sinkhole Formed, Corvettes Gone!!! (MERGED)

Old 02-14-2014, 08:02 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by FL1BY
There is a huge difference in Original and restored. No comparison. More fund raising in the future.
No one will know the difference. They will look exactly the same.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:06 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by FL1BY
There is a huge difference in Original and restored. No comparison.
So when you see the one millionth sitting there in the museum, you'll just walk by because its not original/been restored?
And when I win the lottery, I'll not even consider the one Mill'th cause its been damaged.
Maybe they should just pull'em, dust'em off and leave them there on display.

OK I'm being sarcastic.

But the damage will be accurately repaired with great care and attention to details.
And its not like the world had any control over mother nature.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:58 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
No one will know the difference. They will look exactly the same.
Check the CarFax.

Quick Reply: National Corvette Museum, Giant Sinkhole Formed, Corvettes Gone!!! (MERGED)