Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you touch another person's Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:47 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Default Would you touch another person's Corvette?

S'noJob's post about parking next to another Corvette got me to thinking about something that happened to me recently that kind of ticked me off and I was wondering if I was the only one who would feel this way.

I parked in one of the front spots near the entrance of my local Wal Mart, went in to do my shopping, and when I came out I found the business card of a Corvette club tucked in between the window and trim on my driver's side door.

The only way whoever did this could have slid the card in was to pull the trim away from the window (edit- they left greasy sweat marks on the glass), and it ticked me off to think this person had the audacity to touch my car. I would never even think about touching another owner's car without that owner's permission, and not without that owner standing next to me when I did so.

So what do you think? Would you be angry too, or am I just overly protective of my car?

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 02-27-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:04 PM
85corvettec4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if im at the bar and im asked first HECK YA. if i come out of the store and someones fondling my girl or i find fingerprints on her im not tooooo happy
Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 PM
TPA Z06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for overly protective

Listen, we don't drive faberge eggs - it's a car, and one that quite a few people dig. Would I appreciate someone putting their mitts on mine? Probably not, but in this case, it was a fellow Corvette guy who saw your ride, admired it, and thought you may be interested in the club.

Let it go. Owning a corvette, it sort of comes with the territory (within reason, of course).
Old 02-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I would rather someone slide a card into my car than open their door against it, that's for sure.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Corvette club...hummm I probably wouldn't do that but being around car clubs I can see an excited member that really liked your car sticking a card or something under the windshield wiper. I probably wouldn't be all to irritated since they meant it as a compliment. if was someone advertising for a business... yeah I'd be pretty ticked off. I would assume the person that left it would also be into Vettes so would be careful to not lean on the car or do anything that could possibly cause damage. Wondering if I would prefer them to leave it under the windshield wiper or in the side window rubber???? under the wiper I take the chance of them leaning over and scratching my fender with a buckle or a zipper. in the side rubber the chance is there that it falls into my door. I mean if I was the guy that really liked a car in a parking lot and wanted to invite him to join my club for me and cause he might enjoy it too I really don't know any other way to invite him other than sit out there and wait for god knows how long but then again If I came out and found some dude waiting next to my car to talk to me that might kinda put me on edge too.

I think its kinda cool that he/they liked your car enough to invite you to join their club

Last edited by Pirateslife4me; 02-27-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I am in a Corvette Club and we have business cards for the club. We do the same when we see a parked unfamiliar Corvette. Many of our members were introduced to the club and were glad we put a business card on their car. Don't you think a fellow Corvette owner would show some caution, specially someone who is trying to recrute new members for their club. Relax. Why not check out the club??!!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

I know the feeling.

When my Yamaha R1 was on display at Laguna Seca for a Yamaha event, I came back from walking around to find someone SITTING ON MY BIKE. I was pissed and didn't leave it again until I left for the day. My mirrors were readjusted, someone adjusted my levers, so nice of them to help me out.

Later another rider whos bike was also displayed told me someone had busted a GoPro off his bike and not only stole the camera but also busted it off a carbon fiber side fairing that was $1200.

Do you sit in other peoples car at a car show without asking? Readjust the seat while you are in there?
Old 02-27-2014, 01:40 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you are talking about sliding the card down in the window on the top of the door, you dont need to touch anything, just slide the edge of the card along the glass and the trim and it goes in without touching the car.. I wouldnt worry about that more then parking in a walmart parking lot near the front. I park away from the door near a island if possible. Walmart is not a place i take any car that is nice... Hell i feel bad parking my 175000 mile bonneville there, and again i wont park near the front of the building.

Now people leaning on my car or dragging their hand across my paint to feel the car (or to scratch it more like it) that pisses me off.

S

Last edited by RedZMonte; 02-27-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:44 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Who takes their CORVETTE TO WALMART? JEEZ, you were ASKING for a disaster, be happy that's all that happened, you could have come out to a herd of Trailer Park babies crawling all over it.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:04 PM
AngryTurtle
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 02-27-2014, 02:19 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It wouldn't bother me that much....

Once I came out of a restaurant and found 2 teenage girls posing on the hood of the car and taking pictures of each other. I took it as flattering. I didn't see any scratches.

Now one time I had my car in a shop, and they stored a C6 hood on my trunk lid and scratched it. I wasn't too happy about that
Old 02-27-2014, 02:21 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Who takes their CORVETTE TO WALMART? JEEZ, you were ASKING for a disaster, be happy that's all that happened, you could have come out to a herd of Trailer Park babies crawling all over it.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:21 PM
C5at16
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 66dts-v
I know the feeling.

When my Yamaha R1 was on display at Laguna Seca for a Yamaha event, I came back from walking around to find someone SITTING ON MY BIKE. I was pissed and didn't leave it again until I left for the day. My mirrors were readjusted, someone adjusted my levers, so nice of them to help me out.

Later another rider whos bike was also displayed told me someone had busted a GoPro off his bike and not only stole the camera but also busted it off a carbon fiber side fairing that was $1200.

Do you sit in other peoples car at a car show without asking? Readjust the seat while you are in there?
Saw a bunch of foreigners leaning against my mv agusta brutale. Wasn't happy about that either!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Oh dear, someone touched a 10 + year old car sitting at a Wally world?
Old 02-27-2014, 02:35 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I'm not sure I see how sliding a business card between the window and weather stripping harmed your car - - actually- it could probably be done without touching your car at all.

So yes- I think you're seriously over reacting.

I've walked out of a store and found a girl leaning against my daily driver and have politely asked her to get her a$$ off my car . . fortunately, never had that experience with one of the Corvettes.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Yellogixxer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZMonte
if you are talking about sliding the card down in the window on the top of the door, you dont need to touch anything, just slide the edge of the card along the glass and the trim and it goes in without touching the car.. I wouldnt worry about that more then parking in a walmart parking lot near the front. I park away from the door near a island if possible. Walmart is not a place i take any car that is nice... Hell i feel bad parking my 175000 mile bonneville there, and again i wont park near the front of the building.

Now people leaning on my car or dragging their hand across my paint to feel the car (or to scratch it more like it) that pisses me off.

S

This
Old 02-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
My Corvette is my daily driver; it goes everywhere I do. It was also parked in a handicap spot with no parking on the driver's side and a five foot gap between my spot and the spot to the right. I wasn't ASKING for anything. Not everyone treats their car like a garage queen.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you touch another person's Corvette?

Old 02-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Phanni
Oh dear, someone touched a 10 + year old car sitting at a Wally world?
I guess I'm just a little too old school. I was taught that you treat a man's car like you do his wife. Look, admire, and appreciate, but don't touch.

Regardless of where it is parked it does not give anyone the right to touch it. Would you go to a car show and touch the 10+ year-old cars there?

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 02-27-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bimmervet
Why not check out the club??!!
I did. It was a club based on race.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by RedZMonte
if you are talking about sliding the card down in the window on the top of the door, you dont need to touch anything, just slide the edge of the card along the glass and the trim and it goes in without touching the car..
Except that's not what the person did. They pulled the trim out to slide the card in and left grease marks from their sweaty fingers on the glass.

Quick Reply: Would you touch another person's Corvette?