Sponsored by:

Oh my aching back!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:22 PM
lonerider2002
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Oh my aching back!

The vette is sitting on stands out in the driveway(have carport-no garage)and I am 3/4 thru my brake/rotor switchout. Going w/TPS black zinc coated rotors and Raybestos ceramic pads along w/SS brake covers-and when that is done I have RPI molded splash guards and a radiator guard to install while it's in the air.
I have never done anything with disc brakes before nor ever wanted to.But checking out all the videos on the web along with all the help from this forum I decided to tackle it. I bought every tool I thought I may need-HF elec impact wrench and sockets, breaker bar,torque wrench and anything else I deemed necessary,also a low profile jack(already had an A/A cheapie that came in handy),four 3-ton stands, several pairs of various gloves and all chemicals needed for a brake job. I had already made some ramps to get her far enough in the air for the jacks and also some support beams for the jacks. I have some pucks but didn't like the thought of setting the vette on something round that could slip. So I made some blocks out of solid oak and velcroed them to the underside of the frame where the pucks would go to hold them in place and the stands fit perfectly on them-solid as a rock(also left the jacks in place but backed them off a little).
I started with the driver front and by turning it to get to the bolts I began w/the caliper bolts-easy off, next came the dreaded brkt bolts and with a little weight I heard the snap and off they came! Looks like the dealer replaced the frt pads when it was traded so they had been removed prior to me removing them.Two hours later the fronts were done. So far so good--then came the rears Couldn't get the breaker on them and after a PB soaking and 20 mins with the Impact the bottom one broke loose--the top one was another story. I refused to bow to the bolt so out came the Subaru jack and slowly but surely the bolt turned and out it came. I also noticed that the factory locks were on the rotor and was concerned that the emerg brake was going to be a concern as it was stuck fast. Some PB blaster and about 50 whacks w/a 2 lb dead blow hammer and the rotor gave up the fight w/the brake spring intact. After installing the pads I could not get the torque wrench in there to tighten it to 125 ft lbs(the fronts were no problem) so I tightened it the same way I took it off-with the jack. I don't see them coming out(knock on wood).Still have the drvr side rear to do tomorrow but I'm ready for it.
Anyway, sorry this is so long but I'm kinda proud of doing something I never thought I would even try--especially on a car like my vette, and finding ways to overcome the obstacles that are thrown at you when doing something like this. I'll finish tomorrow (hopefully with some pics)
and just wanted to say "thanks" for all the members that take the time to post the how to's for without you guys my baby would be in some mechanics hands and so would my hard earned money.
Hope everyone has a nice weekend and gets to drive their cars before the weather turns(we are expecting more snow here in Va).
I'm off to soak my 60 yr old back to get ready for the home stretch tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:44 PM
YLO Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Good for you doing your own brakes! I have done it myself a few times (once with current car, twice with prior Vette). Definite satisfaction of doing this job yourself without having to pay a mechanic several hundred dollars in labor. I had mine on jacks today to fix a misaligned left side exhaust tip and a clunking right rear axle nut.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 PM
lonerider2002
Racer

Originally Posted by YLO Z06
Good for you doing your own brakes! I have done it myself a few times (once with current car, twice with prior Vette). Definite satisfaction of doing this job yourself without having to pay a mechanic several hundred dollars in labor. I had mine on jacks today to fix a misaligned left side exhaust tip and a clunking right rear axle nut.
Thanks-- I have three other cars and will probably do them when needed too.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on getting the brakes in shape. Always good when you can do things yourself and at the same time save some cash from having to take it to a shop. Good luck finishing it up.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:20 PM
lonerider2002
Racer

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Congrats on getting the brakes in shape. Always good when you can do things yourself and at the same time save some cash from having to take it to a shop. Good luck finishing it up.
Appreciate it VJ--although I probably spent as much on tools and stuff as it would have cost me for a mechanic I'll always have them for the future. I'm just glad I didn't have a stripped bolt(so far) or some other disaster that would have caused a major headache.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

FYI - I have removed all my calipers twice. The red Loctite they use on the factory caliper bolts (and that is pre-applied to the factory replacement bolts) won't be phased by penetrant oil. If you heat the bolt heads and collars with a propane torch for about 30 seconds to one-minute they will zip right out with an impact wrench like butter.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:28 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Choreo
FYI - I have removed all my calipers twice. The red Loctite they use on the factory caliper bolts (and that is pre-applied to the factory replacement bolts) won't be phased by penetrant oil. If you heat the bolt heads and collars with a propane torch for about 30 seconds to one-minute they will zip right out with an impact wrench like butter.
Thats a handy idea. One question comes to mind. When installing the new bolts, how do you torque them to 125 ft/lbs? Just hammer them in with the impact or can you get the torque wrench on it with a cheater? I'll be doing my rotors soon and am curious.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:41 AM
cookie7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

60 Years old and now your first brake job;Who sez ya can't teach a old dog new tricks.Congrats; brakes are not my favorite job; But then I don't trust anyone but myself to do them.I did a complete change-over on mine last year,slotted and drilled rotors, ceramic pads ect. I really admire your incentive;especially in the "COLD *** WINTER "conditions this year..No garage and all .JOB WELL DONE MY FRIEND.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:33 AM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Thats a handy idea. One question comes to mind. When installing the new bolts, how do you torque them to 125 ft/lbs? Just hammer them in with the impact or can you get the torque wrench on it with a cheater? I'll be doing my rotors soon and am curious.
You can get a long (20") torque wrench on the bolts, even if the car is just lifted on one wheel/jacking puck. Only just, and there is only enough room for one ratchet-click at a time.......but you can do it!

If you can get the car higher.....ramps or a lift.......it is obviously not a problem at all.

Last edited by allred; 03-02-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:40 AM
MGP1
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Good job Pops!
Old 03-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by allred
You can get a long (20") torque wrench on the bolts, even if the car is just lifted on one wheel/jacking puck. Only just, and there is only enough room for one ratchet-click at a time.......but you can do it!

If you can get the car higher.....ramps or a lift.......it is obviously not a problem at all.

I use a long 1/2" drive Digital Torque Wrench and on the rears I can only get one-click at a time (unless I jack the car up higher).
Old 03-02-2014, 02:10 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Get some pics once done!!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:44 PM
lonerider2002
Racer

Default some pics of my first brake job(I'm so proud!)

Finally finished today in between the rain showers. Obviously I didn't get a chance to bed them in so they're still black. It was easy goings on the front but the rears were a bit more difficult due to the rotors never being off before. I used my Subaru jack to loosen them and I was able to get inside the wheel well to at least torque them to about 110 ft lbs with blue locktite--it'll have to do. I did get to repaint the calipers and also another coat of black inside the wheels. Sorry about the pic quality. I had to hurry to beat the rain & I'm still figuring out how to post on the forum.

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jvc...%20brake%20job
Old 03-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congrats to you!!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 AM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lonerider2002
Finally finished today in between the rain showers. Obviously I didn't get a chance to bed them in so they're still black. It was easy goings on the front but the rears were a bit more difficult due to the rotors never being off before. I used my Subaru jack to loosen them and I was able to get inside the wheel well to at least torque them to about 110 ft lbs with blue locktite--it'll have to do. I did get to repaint the calipers and also another coat of black inside the wheels. Sorry about the pic quality. I had to hurry to beat the rain & I'm still figuring out how to post on the forum.

Looks good lonerider

A razor blade over that "Corvette" lettering on the caliper will add the final touch and make it stand out. (if you haven't already done so).

Get notified of new replies

To Oh my aching back!

Quick Reply: Oh my aching back!